• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions favorite to sign Suh

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Promising News

"One of the biggest offseason questions is where Detroit Lions All-Pro defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh will land as an unrestricted free agent.
According to multiple sources, the favorite for his landing spot is -- Detroit.

The Lions have made it a high priority to re-sign Suh, despite the obvious price tag, especially with the Houston Texans' J.J. Watt landing a $100 million deal last year without the leverage of free agency.
But the Lions have gotten positive vibes from Suh about wanting to continue his career where it started.
Salary-cap wise, though, it presents a challenge. One team source told ESPN that signing Suh would theoretically be the priority even if it meant losing star wide receiver Calvin Johnson. But the Lions believe they can manage to have both on the roster.
Cash is not a issue for the franchise, which allows for some manipulation of restructured contracts and guaranteed money."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12262467/detroit-lions-seen-favorites-keep-ndamukong-suh

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best news I've heard all morning.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, well good...

and here we go with the re-structures (CJ's ?)....depending on who's contract is re-structured.. keep kicking that fucking can on down the road... whoever gets the axe this year, I sure hope they don't designate anyone's cut as post June 1st... we've got that 3.9M dead $ (was a 5.2M dead $ for 1 yr) from cutting CB Chris Houston last year, on the books for 2015. I know we may need that money this year, but it's been happening for years now. tired of it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spring-runningflowers.gif

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap:

Hope that is right. Stunned at the stupidity of these media morons that know jack fucking shit about understanding the cap. The Lions DO NOT have a cap issue if he is signed to a new deal. They do if tagged but NOT if extended.

I get that I am just a fan who likes to study the cap but if someone can explain to me how if the Lions can make simple cuts to obvious guys and be at about $114m committed. Add $3 to the adjustment of rookie deals replacing current ones that count and the the PS to be at $117m and have $26m remaining without any restructures that is somehow a cap problem? You can short year 1 on the Suh deal because in year 2 the $9.75m of dead from his first contract is gone and you could trade or cut CJ if needed for what I think would save $12m. There isn't a fucking cap problem you stupid fucking sports writers:L

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the Freep, more on Suh

The Detroit Lions want to sign Ndamukong Suh to a long-term contract extension before the start of free agency next month, and team president Tom Lewand gave the strongest indication yet that he thinks it will happen in an interview today.

Speaking on WDIV's Flashpoint, Lewand reiterated that he believes Suh wants to stay in Detroit and that the Lions can afford his massive contract demands.

"He wants to have success in the NFL, obviously, but he wants to do that with us," Lewand said. "And I think that -- I think there's a very, very good chance that we can get something done with him in the next few weeks."

Suh's rookie contract voids on Friday and he'll become a highly-coveted unrestricted free agent March 10 if the Lions don't sign him to a long-term deal first.

The Pro Bowl defensive tackle wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football and is seeking a contract in excess of the six-year, $100-million extension J.J. Watt signed in September.

The Lions currently have about $125 million in cap commitments for 2015, when the cap is expected to rise to more than $143 million, but Lewand said affording Suh is not an issue.

"We've had a good chunk of our salary cap tied up in three players over the last few years," Lewand said. "Matthew (Stafford), Calvin (Johnson) and Ndmukong have all had very lucrative contracts under the old rookie system, and even as Matthew and Calvin have done their extensions. So we've done that, we've lived in that environment. There's no reason we can't continue to live in that environment."

Johnson said at the NFL Honors awards show Saturday that he's willing to "do whatever" to keep Suh in Detroit, and Lewand indicated other tough roster decisions could be upcoming in order to ensure Suh stays a Lion.

"We plan really well looking out into the future and where our salary cap goes," Lewand said. "I think we can do that. I have no doubt that we can do that with Ndamukong, make him a continuing part of the core of our football team, and that's what that's all about in this league is identifying those core players and building around those guys. And there's no doubts that there's trade outs that have to happen along the way. You can't keep everybody because it is a hard cap, but if you have a good nucleus of guys, then that draft every year comes through and you can keep adding good players to the mix."

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, your bold part is what concerns me. I'd prefer to get out of cap hell by having so much tied into 3 players. But losing Suh would be very tough. If the team can get a cap friendly contract deal done, WITHOUT extending Staff or CJ's contract, then I'm all for it.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone get the feeling we are going to have a Carlos Boozer situation on our hands? Cocky GM thinks he will sign him after free agency starts and someone from another squad blows him away with an incredible offer.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like THE RAIDA'S... Jack Del Rio HC... much closer to Suh's hometown, Portland, without being a SeaHawk...Owner, Mark Davis might shock some people... maybe

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, your bold part is what concerns me. I'd prefer to get out of cap hell by having so much tied into 3 players. But losing Suh would be very tough. If the team can get a cap friendly contract deal done, WITHOUT extending Staff or CJ's contract, then I'm all for it.

I would not be totally opposed to extending/restructuring Stafford. He will be a high level talent for at least 10 more years. As much as I love Megatron, I would not do his anymore. He may prove to be a good WR until his mid 30s, but it is not guaranteed and he will certainly be declining.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micro

Lewand seems to think it's alright. I don't, but Dr. Evil-er has made some good points as to a possible contract very reasonable cap friendly extension.

I'm just tired of the endless, kick the can down the road, cut player's with a designated post-June 1st, so Lewand can kick more money down the road..

Shit never ends with let's move money to another year or years.. which is why it's difficult to sign some of the better FA's. Quin and Tate were great signings. We don't have money to go after a op tier FA CB...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micro

Lewand seems to think it's alright. I don't, but Dr. Evil-er has made some good points as to a possible contract very reasonable cap friendly extension.

I'm just tired of the endless, kick the can down the road, cut player's with a designated post-June 1st, so Lewand can kick more money down the road..

Shit never ends with let's move money to another year or years.. which is why it's difficult to sign some of the better FA's. Quin and Tate were great signings. We don't have money to go after a op tier FA CB...

Couple things:

I know Lewand thinks it's ok, I just don't agree with it. I think it's bad business.

Meow, I hope, is happy with atleast SOME news regarding Suh. His blood pressure has been rising every day nothing is reported. ;)

I do not think we need to land a top tier CB. I think we can find one SOMEWHERE(draft, lower level FA) that Austin can coach up. Even if he leaves next year, a year with that man can do wonders imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micro
I truly wasn't meaning that we need a Tier A level CB this year in FA. I just know there was talk on this board, last year, that we don't have the cap space to make that type of signing. might be a C, OG, DT, DE or whatever, due to possible injuries or loss of a FA

I'm not one of those guys, who think that spending 8-10M a yea on a CB is a smart move either. CB's are the most oft injured position as a player, with rb right behind.

I didn't agree with Lewand's statement either, which is why I highlighted it. The part of him stating, we've done that, we've lived in that environment. There's no reason we can't continue to live in that environment." this, I don't agree with. It has/can hurt this team when it really needs those extra dollars for whatever FA, injuries etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with extending Calvin and Stafford (or just converting salary to bonus and kicking the can down the road) and signing Suh to a long-term deal if it means they can also be active in free agency and take a 2-year-window shot at winning it all.

Don't tag him and leave the cupboard bare, though. This year's team was lucky to be 11-5.

Superbowl L is for Lions.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree Max.

What other choices do the Lions have if they want to try and win it all with this current team and still build for the future? They have to restructure and move things around. Calvin knows he probably wont be around for the life of his contract, he just wants a ring with these guys.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with extending Calvin and Stafford (or just converting salary to bonus and kicking the can down the road)
:hellno: on CJ. Dead $ on his current deal with his remaining NFL career expectancy makes it too risky IMO. If he cant stay healthy in 2015 and in top form he has to be a very serious candidate to be cut next offseason.

:scratch: Just not sure on Stafford. He is already the 9th highest paid QB in the league and was ranked higher for the past couple years but has fallen due to new deals for other players. Cutler sits at #7 with an $18.1m average, so any offer above $18.25m is not one I can get behind. When he starts to lead the team to victory over teams with winning records he can get top 5 $. Until then he simply isn't deserving of anything more.

I just don't see why the Lions need to worry about doing anything with either of those contracts this year. They have the $ to play in FA without restructuring if they get a deal done with Suh.