• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2022 in-season News, Notes & @RobBase millennial complaints

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

former Lions offensive assistant John Morton was announced as part of the Denver Broncos’ new coaching staff under Sean Payton. Morton will be the pass game coordinator for the Broncos.

Morton was only with the Lions for a single season as the team’s senior offensive assistant. It’s not uncommon for a senior assistant to leave after a year or two, as they typically just help oversee a transition on one side of the ball (see: Dom Capers’ resume). Morton helped first-time offensive coordinator Ben Johnson build the Lions’ offense quickly into one of the best units in the NFL.

It’s not a surprise to see Payton—mentor of Lions coach Dan Campbell—poach someone off of the Lions’ squad. Morton was an obvious choice, as he served as the New Orleans Saints’ offensive assistant, pass game coordinator, and wide receivers coach under Payton years ago. In a fun twist, the offensive coordinator Morton will help assist in Denver is none other than former Lions coach Joe Lombardi.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keyed by strong coverage play from rookie safety Kerby Joseph and veteran nickelback Will Harris, the Lions were the NFL’s stingiest defense against passes to RBs. The Lions allowed a league-low 23 receptions by RBs in 2022.

The Detroit defense didn’t face a lot of challenges from running backs in the passing game. Only Pittsburgh (34) saw fewer passes intended for RBs than the Lions did, with 37 in 17 games. Detroit’s ratio of 23 receptions on 37 targets (62.1 percent) was one of the league’s best rates on RB targets, too; only Washington (57.1 percent) was better at not allowing completions to opposing backs.

When opponents did connect, it was trouble for the Lions. The 7.9 yards per reception average allowed by Detroit was the 10th-worst in the league. However, Aaron Glenn’s defense did not allow a single receiving touchdown to an opposing RB in 2022.
Because RB is usually the check down. And options 1, 2, and 3 were always open. That's a fake stat.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because RB is usually the check down. And options 1, 2, and 3 were always open. That's a fake stat.

So, on average per game, the Lions gave up 1.5 checkdowns per game all the while options 1, 2 and 3 were always open. Lions shouldn't have had even one checkdown to an RB the entire season if all those options were always open. They still sucked in giving up 7.9 yards per reception to those RB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is retirement from the game a far-fetched result for Levi Onwuzurike? I'm obviously reading tea leaves regarding Aaron Glenn's statement. Campbell's comments come across as being coy for various reasons in my opinion.

“Levi’s still progressing,” head coach Dan Campbell said this past week at the NFL combine. “He’s continued to rehab. I saw him at the facility right before I left, so he’s right on track and we’ll see where it goes.”

At this point, does Campbell expect Onwuzurike to return to the field this offseason?

” He’s still on his rehab track,” Campbell said. “We’ll just kind of see how it goes. But we’ll we’ll be smart with it.”

BB_72: The above comments by Campbell have been an ongoing reiteration for months.

“The only thing I hope for Levi -- and that’s first and foremost -- looking forward to him getting a chance to come back and play, but man, it’s the health of that player,” defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn said. “‘cause when you’re dealing with a back, that’s just a thing you have to be sure with. … The first thing I’m thinking about, I’m not thinking about the player playing. I’m thinking about the player being healthy. And then if he plays, that’s just icing on top.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have been excited had I seen Jamo. Everyone knows AR-SB is the penultimate pro and always working on staying on point.

Where the f**k is Jamo?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty says yes to the first name listed.

Too many $$$ asking point for the NFL version of the "Rock".
And Cominsky sure as hell would be much cheaper than Zach Allen. Hell, if Holmes wants a Zach Allen type, then draft Tyree Wilson because that's pretty much what the latter is already - at the CFB level.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I surely wouldn't be opposed to signing Wagner and also drafting Campbell. Wagner would make a great mentor for Barnes, Rodrigo and whoever or even if they might draft an LB.

I'm thinking Onwuzurike, Barnes and maybe Melifonwu are Holmes' oops-picks to date with a maybe he shouldn't have drafted any of them.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before anyone makes the suggestion to bring him back to Allen Park.
No. Just No.
$17M base salary in 2023 and then you'd have to give up a day 3 pick.

Philly has killed their cap situation with at least 4 players contracts that have 2-4 void years left once they become a UFA.
Slay 3-years and 13.8M dead cap.
Hargrave 3-years and 12M dead cap.
Cox 3-years and 7.5M dead cap.
Brandon Brooks 2-years and 9.8M dead cap.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty says yes to the first name listed.

Too many $$$ asking point for the NFL version of the "Rock".
And Cominsky sure as hell would be much cheaper than Zach Allen. Hell, if Holmes wants a Zach Allen type, then draft Tyree Wilson because that's pretty much what the latter is already - at the CFB level.

I’d give Wagner two years.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still, it’s lying season, so it’s hard to know what is actually happening behind closed doors in LA.

For several years prior to winning their aforementioned championship, the Rams more or less burned the boats, trading away future assets to add players like Stafford, and All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey. Like Stafford, Ramsey is also believed to be available via trade, and there have even been whispers about former defensive player of the year Aaron Donald being shopped on the open market. All of these bits of news certainly point toward the Rams hitting the reset on their franchise.

After rumors surfaced yesterday, Rams general manager Les Snead spoke to the media, stating that Stafford was not on the trade block, and in fact, was one of the pillars of their remodel.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d give Wagner two years.

He's still performing at an All-Pro level. I don't know if his lateral movements are as quick as before, but I'd surely give it a go even at your suggestion of 2-years. 2-years would negate having to spend a draft pick on another LB in this draft while also giving Barnes and Rodrigo some mentoring experience from Wagner. Maybe try giving Barnes more split reps with Rodrigo. Neither of those two are good in coverage.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still performing at an All-Pro level. I don't know if his lateral movements are as quick as before, but I'd surely give it a go even at your suggestion of 2-years. 2-years would negate having to spend a draft pick on another LB in this draft while also giving Barnes and Rodrigo some mentoring experience from Wagner. Maybe try giving Barnes more split reps with Rodrigo. Neither of those two are good in coverage.
Didn’t PFF grade him out as the best interior linebacker in 22?

He’s got a long way to drop before he’s average. And I’d take average.

I’d also be fine with drafting another linebacker in the back half who may be undersized, but lives football.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I surely wouldn't be opposed to signing Wagner and also drafting Campbell. Wagner would make a great mentor for Barnes, Rodrigo and whoever or even if they might draft an LB.

I'm thinking Onwuzurike, Barnes and maybe Melifonwu are Holmes' oops-picks to date with a maybe he shouldn't have drafted any of them.
I would not count Barnes as an oops. Replacement level as a 4th round pick is not great, but for sure worth having. It just feels worse because Rodrigo was a damn gem.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before anyone makes the suggestion to bring him back to Allen Park.
No. Just No.
$17M base salary in 2023 and then you'd have to give up a day 3 pick.

Philly has killed their cap situation with at least 4 players contracts that have 2-4 void years left once they become a UFA.
Slay 3-years and 13.8M dead cap.
Hargrave 3-years and 12M dead cap.
Cox 3-years and 7.5M dead cap.
Brandon Brooks 2-years and 9.8M dead cap.

They updated it saying he is trying to get a new contract not a trade.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not count Barnes as an oops. Replacement level as a 4th round pick is not great, but for sure worth having. It just feels worse because Rodrigo was a damn gem.

I understand your point and Barnes being considered replacement level, but he cost not only that 5th round pick in 2021 but also a future 2022 4th round pick for being drafted in 2021. It was a gamble by Holmes and company and so far, it isn't working. He's a player that could be upgraded whether it's this year or next year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure but I'll check. He's still one of the better LB even though he had somewhat of a down year in his last year with Seattle. Besides, Seattle drafted that Texas Tech LB in the first round a couple of years back, so releasing Wagner was probably more salary cap savings and having Brooks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You sir are correct.

Bobby Wagner

2022 1st overall................. run defense 3rd overall .............................. coverage 13th overall..................... WAR 1st overall................ Grades 91
2021 15th overall.............. run defense 17th overall............................. coverage 62nd overall.................... WAR 8th overall............... Grades 72
2020 2nd overall............... run defense 1st overall................................. coverage 30th overall..................... WAR 1st overall............... Grades 85

and the kicker is that players like Tremaine Edmunds, Germaine Pratt and Bobby Okereke all had career years this past year and were complete shit prior to 2022.

PFF alleged Market Value
Tr. Edwards 4-years/18M per/45M Guaranteed...................... 5th/60th/74th overall.............WAR 30th/29th/178th............... Grades........... 82/49/41
G. Pratt 3-years/8.25M per/14/75M Guaranteed.................. 11th/47th/73rd overall............WAR 28th/53rd/214th.............. Grades........... 78/54/41
B. Okereke 4-years/9.25M per/22M Guaranteed.................. 22nd/38th/64th overall.......... WAR14th/48th/148th................. Grades........... 73/59/48

The only other LB even slightly worthy of his alleged Market Value is.
TJ Edwards 3-years/12M per/25M Guaranteed......................... 5th/10th/19th overall ........... WAR 9th/13th/29th ................... Grades.......... 82/76/67

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Bobby Wagner 24/7/731 - 2/years and a leap year day - and it isn't even close.

Great Call @broncosmitty

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of those contract numbers come anywhere close to what PFF and even SpoTrac are calling for Edmunds, Pratt, Okereke and Edwards, then those teams whose Front Office sign them are cray cray.