• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2022 in-season News, Notes & @RobBase millennial complaints

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about Daron Payne? He's an UFA, too much $$$?

Damn, I'd love to have the player - MY Bama homerism kicks in here - but I'm not sure if I'd want to see or even guess at the price tag.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys got a great one when you hired Holmes as GM.

Phenomenal scout that knows how to identify players, which explains why your guys drafts have been great the past 2 seasons, and will continue to be so going forward.

So far, this rings true. When Holmes gets to three years of being very good at drafting players then that's a trend. Holmes still has some question marks with the drafting of iDL Onwuzurike - 2nd round 2021, DB Melifonwu - 3rd round 2021 and ILB Derrick Barnes - traded up a round while giving away 2022 5th round pick to draft him in 4th round of 2021. Other than signaling out those three, he has done a remarkable job in the draft and to a certain extent, so far, in Free Agency.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right tackle Penei Sewell finished third in voting, just seven points behind the Buccaneers’ Tristan Wirfs. Wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown finished seventh at his position (the top six are recognized), missing out on the final spot by just 17 points. Finally, center Frank Ragnow—who was named to the Pro Bowl last month—finished third in voting behind Jason Kelce and Creed Humphrey.

The only other Lions player to receive an All-Pro vote was special teamer Josh Woods. Last year, there wasn’t a Lions single player who received an All-Pro vote. So this is progress, I suppose.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would resign JJ as well for 1.5.

Yes, please, as well as ERFA Craig Reynolds.

I hope Holmes is capable of retaining the skillset players together just to continue and build upon the chemistry and continuity. This statement extends to Brock Wright and Shane Zylstra also.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go up to 5 mill a year on Jamal.

Contradictory Carl chiming in on this one. A couple months back I was clamoring for Jamaal to be re-signed and I still would be somewhat inclined to that happening. However, a part of me would entertain the idea of drafting Bijan Robinson at the No.18 slot if he's available and there's no guarantee that could happen. I also have complained in the past of not ever wanting to spend an early draft pick - 1st/2nd round - on a damn RB unless it was one of two of your last important needs to get you to the playoffs for a 3-to-4-year period.

If Holmes is somehow to manage bringing back Chark, JJ, Hulu Reynolds - pretty easy here as he's an ERFA - then I think it's a reasonable consideration. 4 years at 8M - not including 5th year option - would be quite enticing to me. I get the Bijan would probably be drafted by that time argument and no I would never consider Bijan at No.6. Bijan offers so much more from the prospect side than what Jamaal offers physically. Bijan has shown to be good to very good at pass-pro blocking, pass receiving, exceptional burst, in between the tackle running, balance after first contact, vision to be patient when necessary to allow holes to open and still possess the power to get tough yards with his physicality.

If we didn't bring Jamaal back and Hulu Reynolds is still here, I would think the foursome of Bijan, JJ, Hulu and Swift - he's gone after 2023 season - would be one hell of an RB foursome.

I cannot believe that I just typed my wanting to draft an RB in the first round.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contradictory Carl chiming in on this one. A couple months back I was clamoring for Jamaal to be re-signed and I still would be somewhat inclined to that happening. However, a part of me would entertain the idea of drafting Bijan Robinson at the No.18 slot if he's available and there's no guarantee that could happen. I also have complained in the past of not ever wanting to spend an early draft pick - 1st/2nd round - on a damn RB unless it was one of two of your last important needs to get you to the playoffs for a 3-to-4-year period.

If Holmes is somehow to manage bringing back Chark, JJ, Hulu Reynolds - pretty easy here as he's an ERFA - then I think it's a reasonable consideration. 4 years at 8M - not including 5th year option - would be quite enticing to me. I get the Bijan would probably be drafted by that time argument and no I would never consider Bijan at No.6. Bijan offers so much more from the prospect side than what Jamaal offers physically. Bijan has shown to be good to very good at pass-pro blocking, pass receiving, exceptional burst, in between the tackle running, balance after first contact, vision to be patient when necessary to allow holes to open and still possess the power to get tough yards with his physicality.

If we didn't bring Jamaal back and Hulu Reynolds is still here, I would think the foursome of Bijan, JJ, Hulu and Swift - he's gone after 2023 season - would be one hell of an RB foursome.

I cannot believe that I just typed my wanting to draft an RB in the first round.
I love Jamal and think him coming back would be great, but he was not some game breaker this year. His yards vs expected are actually pretty terrible. Add in Swifts health and the idea of a star back is not bad.

I don't know about a 1st rounder, at least no with the needs we have on defense, butni would not absolutely hate the pick

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^

Also, regarding my above statement, I still think there are plenty of resources left to draft the needed defensive players to help fill out some of the starters needed for that side of the ball. We may very well have to draft an RG this year, but I see no other offensive position that has to be upgraded this draft. Some will certainly state a TE should be considered but I don't see Ben Johnson truly utilizing that position that would require an early pick or even using a draft pick at all in 2023.

Of course, my sentiment for drafting Bijan completely rests on the shoulders of Holmes signing CB James Bradberry.

Free agency signings will persuade me to a more realistic side to my thoughts about Bijan.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but he was not some game breaker this year. His yards vs expected are actually pretty terrible. Add in Swifts health

This right here is what had me leaning to the initial thought process regarding "the possibility" of drafting Bijan. A lot of scenarios have to play out in Free Agency first and foremost.

Stats are great for Jamaal with the 17 TD's and mostly inside the 5-yard line.

I love what Jamaal brings to the table from a locker room presence and leadership traits, but I'm left wanting more from the actual game function at times.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^

Also, regarding my above statement, I still think there are plenty of resources left to draft the needed defensive players to help fill out some of the starters needed for that side of the ball. We may very well have to draft an RG this year, but I see no other offensive position that has to be upgraded this draft. Some will certainly state a TE should be considered but I don't see Ben Johnson truly utilizing that position that would require an early pick or even using a draft pick at all in 2023.

Of course, my sentiment for drafting Bijan completely rests on the shoulders of Holmes signing CB James Bradberry.

Free agency signings will persuade me to a more realistic side to my thoughts about Bijan.
I am sad Kuithe is going back to Utah, He is better than Kincaid and could have been had in the 5th instead of the second. That is a TE I would have loved to draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that No.6 pick brings about another Edge Defender - Murphy/Wilson and the 2nd and 3rd round picks to be used for DB, OG, LB.
IDK at this juncture.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say Kuithe is better it absolutely does not include blocking, which would probably disqualify him from Campbell's draft board

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sad Kuithe is going back to Utah, He is better than Kincaid and could have been had in the 5th instead of the second. That is a TE I would have loved to draft.

There are numerous players who have chosen to go back to school that I didn't think they would. Jayden Daniels, Spencer Rattler, Cooper Beebe, Blake Corum to name a very limited few of those who went that route.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say Kuithe is better it absolutely does not include blocking, which would probably disqualify him from Campbell's draft board

Zylstra wasn't known for his blocking all that much while in CFB and he was actually an WR and not a TE. Unless I'm misremembering.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^

Hard to suggest anything until then. For now I assume we will not make any big FA signings.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holmes will still need to draft a SS in this draft as I don't believe he'll re-sign DeShon Elliot and there's no pertinent perception on whether Iffy Melifonwu will become a quality safety. I would like nothing more than to see Iffy become a viable option for that nickel-slot safety at some point in time.

Kerby Joseph is the heir apparent to take over TW lll spot now that the latter only has one more years' worth of significant guaranteed money.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holmes will still need to draft a SS in this draft as I don't believe he'll re-sign DeShon Elliot and there's no pertinent perception on whether Iffy Melifonwu will become a quality safety. I would like nothing more than to see Iffy become a viable option for that nickel-slot safety at some point in time.

Kerby Joseph is the heir apparent to take over TW lll spot now that the latter only has one more years' worth of significant guaranteed money.
Why wont we resign Elliot?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wont we resign Elliot?

$$$$$$

It's only a guess on my part, but I see him receiving a better offer from some other team that Homes can't match.

Btw, I like Elliot, but if he receives $$$$ in the TW lll range then it's likely he plays elsewhere.