• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's pile on Khabibulin

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another horrible game by the "Bulin Wall" tonight. So that's 10 goals allowed in the past game and a half.

Crawford comes in halfway through the second period and makes one outstanding save after another. Gives up one goal (glove side high, so what else is new?).

Hawks stage the miraculous comeback after falling behind 4-2...then proceed to score the next four goals and win 6-5.

Toews with the natural hat trick scoring goals 3, 4 and 5 of the night and seven for the season now.

Shaw with two goals.

Hawks lighting it up now with 19 goals in the past four games.

Backup goalie is a mess. Cap considerations if the Hawks release Habby? Do the Hawks put him up in the organ loft as a healthy scratch and let Antti Raanta take a shot or two? Does Crawford get worked to death? Is a free agent signing worth it and do the Hawks have any space left? Do the Hawks just put up with poor goalie play and let him play every 5 or 6 games?

Now, any arguments on how good a goalie Corey Crawford actually is? I think he's been as good as last season. Keeps the Hawks in games when it matters.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to come back in the 3rd and get a win instead of blowing it.

Crawford will only get better as time goes. I think it's time to play Raanta. Bulin is just God awful, and I don't think we have the cap space to sign an FA. And who would we sign anyways? I see 2 options here, continue to play Bulin, or let Raanta get a crack at it. Ask yourself, can Raanta be any worse?

Also, we can not over work Crawford, we're thinking big picture here, we're a playoff team no matter what, and we're not just looking to make the playoffs, but to win another Cup. Therefore, Crawford needs his rest during the season.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Khabi is god awful - they better be looking for a better backup

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say this as I don't want to jinx it...but Crawford better stay healthy the entire year...or we're screwed.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say this as I don't want to jinx it...but Crawford better stay healthy the entire year...or we're screwed.
They probably should have kept Carter Hutton - he's younger and hasn't looked that bad with Nashville

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to come back in the 3rd and get a win instead of blowing it.

Crawford will only get better as time goes. I think it's time to play Raanta. Bulin is just God awful, and I don't think we have the cap space to sign an FA. And who would we sign anyways? I see 2 options here, continue to play Bulin, or let Raanta get a crack at it. Ask yourself, can Raanta be any worse?

Also, we can not over work Crawford, we're thinking big picture here, we're a playoff team no matter what, and we're not just looking to make the playoffs, but to win another Cup. Therefore, Crawford needs his rest during the season.

May I remind you that only the top THREE teams in a division get playoff berths. The seventh and eighth teams come from the next best records from either or both conference.

So, three out of eight teams isn't great odds...and no team is a shoo in to make the playoffs, including the Hawks.

As to Crawford getting some rest...yes, we all know that. But when you have no confidence in your backup you have to overplay the main guy. Habby is downright awful right now. Q might give him one more start this weekend in one of the back to back games. If he fails again, I think you can stick a fork in Habby...he'll be done with the team. Even if he plays fairly well to decent, there is no confidence in him as the goalie, and that's an awful thing to have. For Habby and the team that plays in front of him.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For $2 million a year ($1.7 million + incentives), I would be expecting a lot more from Habby.

Very poor roster signing by Bowman. Not like him at all.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Emery was a free agent. He wants to be the main guy in goal so he signs in Philadelphia for $1.6 million.

And what happens? He winds up backing up Steve Mason.

So, now Emery is paid less, he's still the backup and he's on a god-awful team. Smart move there, wasn't it?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May I remind you that only the top THREE teams in a division get playoff berths. The seventh and eighth teams come from the next best records from either or both conference.

Wow I completely forgot. I don't know what the hell I was thinking,

That makes me a little more nervous for sure.

Luckily it's early, and we can figure out this goalie thing. And you're right, if Crawford goes down for a significant amount of time, we could be in real trouble.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure if the Hawks have cap space to add Raanta to the team. Any answers?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks have about $550,000 left in cap space. Raanta's cap hit is $1.4 million. I think that is prorated though. But I may be wrong.

If the Hawks send Ben Smith back to Rockford, they save his $562,000. Still short.

Hmmmm, I don't know about this cap stuff.

I know that the Hawks are stuck with Habby's salary even if they release him.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't having the cap space for Raanta an issue a few months ago?

Bolland is gone, I don't know if that changes anything.

I'd still like to see us move Hossa, which would obviously open up space.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford--- GAA 2.23 Save pct .916
Habby-------GAA 4.74 Save pct .818

Carter Hutton GAA 2.42 Save pct. .927

Antti Raanta--GAA 2.40 Save pct. .926

Okay, who would you rather have as the backup?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Kostka went down, I would've bet the Hawks trade either Rozsival or Brookbank to get some space. But with Kostka hurt for a month or two and Rozsival playing awful, they need to keep both Rozy and Brooksie.

Caught between a rock and a hard place...otherwise known as salary cap hell.

And Hossa's not going anywhere. He's playing great again, plus no one will want to pick up his contract. And add in the fact that you don't find a first line right wing great two way player just sitting around on the streets or in the AHL waiting to play. Those are too big a pair of skates to try and fill.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you have 14 forwards and 8 defensemen signed on the Hawks. Smith is a healthy scratch most games. Handzus is just not healthy. Same for Kostka.

But releasing players doesn't preclude them from counting toward the cap unless they have a two way contract. It's not like in the Cristobal Huet era where the Hawks could release him and not count him against the cap. All contract players count against the cap now, unless you can move them to the minors and IF they have a two way contract.

Raanta's hit might be too big regardless to get him to the NHL this year.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing to happen would be Habby pulling a groin or injuring a knee. Then he can go on the injured list and the Hawks could bring up Raanta regardless.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Kostka went down, I would've bet the Hawks trade either Rozsival or Brookbank to get some space. But with Kostka hurt for a month or two and Rozsival playing awful, they need to keep both Rozy and Brooksie.

Caught between a rock and a hard place...otherwise known as salary cap hell.

And Hossa's not going anywhere. He's playing great again, plus no one will want to pick up his contract. And add in the fact that you don't find a first line right wing great two way player just sitting around on the streets or in the AHL waiting to play. Those are too big a pair of skates to try and fill.

All the more reason a playoff contending team would want him.

You package him away with someone like Rozsival and in return you get a solid defender and maybe a draft pick or two, also freeing up cap space which would help with the goalie situation.

Right now the goalie situation could potentially be a huge problem down the road. And when you have forwards like Toews, Kane, Sharp, Saad, Bickell, Shaw, and even Pirri if he continues to grow, then trading away Hossa wouldn't be a big loss.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Vague as injuries are in the NHL, Khabi having an upper or lower body injury should be able to get him to the injury list.

I dont know where anyone got the emery number, he is being paid 1.15 plus incentives that no way get met with Mason. Hawks offered 1.3 he went home to Philly instead thinking he had a shot to be the starter and get paid next year.

A whole lot of experts are saying let Raanta play 15 games here instead of 60 in rockford, so there must not be a cap issue that cannot be overcome.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Khabby looks terrible. I agree.

The Hawks style of play (with D-men) pinching in, can leave the goalie hanging out to dry. Khabby is just not cut out for that type of scenario.

I say give the Finnish kid Raanta a chance.

On the flipside, it is still very early in the season. Khabby may settle down some. Better to have him bad now, than later in the season.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 goals on 6 shots vs the Preds. He needs to go. Crawford will get burned out before the playoffs if he has to keep coming out in relief of "The Bulin Seive."