• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Let's keep our hot streak rolling against the Angelless Angels

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it, it pretty much landed where it was going to land

Don't know how it is done nor who is responsible for measuring it. But TAG and team were talking about the "projected" landing spot, not the actually point of hitting the seats. I think this is what they were saying. Some sort of calculation which I probably wouldn't understand. ha

Gotta tell ya, regardless of distance, that SOB was smoking! I seldom watch more than one replay on any play. Trust me, watch this one a lot. Holy crap he got all of it! ha

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has it at 453, so quite a wide disparity there

Just finally saw it, looked closer to 453 actually

Statcast seems fairly reliable. I will check Hit Tracker and see what they say when it updates.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, I don't understand the distances either. I've seen bombs listed at 430', and average homeruns at 450'.

But the "where it would have landed" caveat always sounds ignorant to me.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be Wilson would be # 1 and Chirinos @ the top # 2 spot to begin with.

But you know, you make it sound like Banister is the worst manager ever, and is totally incapable of making a good, nor positive decision. Is this correct?

Hell, fire his ass and go get Tim Bogar. After all, no one has offered him the head position since it was such a no-brainer for the Rangers to retain him.

Nothing like that. Chirinos is the veteran.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, I don't understand the distances either. I've seen bombs listed at 430', and average homeruns at 450'.

But the "where it would have landed" caveat always sounds ignorant to me.

Laws of trajectory. Did hit vs should hit data. One of our divisions runs models for stuff like that.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4 catchers that we have used have OPS of .913, .876, .786, and .713.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laws of trajectory. Did hit vs should hit data. One of our divisions runs models for stuff like that.

Yeah I don't see how using physics to discuss a projected distance is ignorant...seems like the opposite to me. It's just a fun thing to look at based on all the variables. Hit Tracker is one of my fav websites, because you can watch every single major league home run. I go to Stanton's page and drool sometimes.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how it is done nor who is responsible for measuring it. But TAG and team were talking about the "projected" landing spot, not the actually point of hitting the seats. I think this is what they were saying. Some sort of calculation which I probably wouldn't understand. ha

Gotta tell ya, regardless of distance, that SOB was smoking! I seldom watch more than one replay on any play. Trust me, watch this one a lot. Holy crap he got all of it! ha

I've seen a few land in that general area and never had them estimated that far

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a few land in that general area and never had them estimated that far

I remember Hamilton's that hit the first tow near the CF section of the upper deck. Murphy had a long one up there too I recall.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was too excited to wait a day for a new thread...this weekend is gonna be awesome!!!!

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I don't see how using physics to discuss a projected distance is ignorant...seems like the opposite to me. It's just a fun thing to look at based on all the variables. Hit Tracker is one of my fav websites, because you can watch every single major league home run. I go to Stanton's page and drool sometimes.

"The homerun would have gone 475' if the ballpark hadn't gotten in the way."

The ball traveled a specific distance from the batter. There aren't really any "variables"... at least there shouldn't be. How far away is this seat from the batter? That's how far the ball went.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The homerun would have gone 475' if the ballpark hadn't gotten in the way."

The ball traveled a specific distance from the batter. There aren't really any "variables"... at least there shouldn't be. How far away is this seat from the batter? That's how far the ball went.

There are variables at play that you aren't considering. Wind speed, elevation, and temperature all play a factor in the flight of a homer. There is true distance=where it actually landed and standard distance=where it would have landed if you account for variables.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the complete spare that the A's trotted out tonight to face the Mariners. Zach Neal and his 12.68 ERA? That's just a complete give-up forfeit from the start.

They should seriously contract that franchise. Between the horrid stadium and its major sewage problems, the criminals that make up a large percentage of their fan base, their ridiculously low payroll, and their refusal to roster anyone halfway decent (only rookies, journeymen utility guys, and league minimum washouts), they are an embarrassment to the league. At least other low budget teams like the Brewers and Rays make attempts to retain their players and build contending rosters. The A's just trade away anyone who has earned a raise and hope to get lucky with a cast of misfits straight out the movie Major League. How can they possibly ever sell season tickets?

"Give us your hard-earned money so you can come out to a dilapidated overflowing toilet and listen to convicted felons blow on vuvuzelas non-stop while watching a team that occasionally wins by accident". Sign me up.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the complete spare that the A's trotted out tonight to face the Mariners. Zach Neal and his 12.68 ERA? That's just a complete give-up forfeit from the start.

They should seriously contract that franchise. Between the horrid stadium and its major sewage problems, the criminals that make up a large percentage of their fan base, their ridiculously low payroll, and their refusal to roster anyone halfway decent (only rookies, journeymen utility guys, and league minimum washouts), they are an embarrassment to the league. At least other low budget teams like the Brewers and Rays make attempts to retain their players and build contending rosters. The A's just trade away anyone who has earned a raise and hope to get lucky with a cast of misfits straight out the movie Major League. How can they possibly ever sell season tickets?

"Give us your hard-earned money so you can come out to a dilapidated overflowing toilet and listen to convicted felons blow on vuvuzelas non-stop while watching a team that occasionally wins by accident". Sign me up.

The city won't build them a new stadium, and the Giants are screwing them hard by not letting them move to San Jose. It's seriously unfair to the Athletics, but I don't care. Billy Beane deserves bad.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's really sad that everything you're saying about this team is true and...... They constantly kick our ass every year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was too excited to wait a day for a new thread...this weekend is gonna be awesome!!!!

Congratulations.....hopefully you'll go 5-1 as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are variables at play that you aren't considering. Wind speed, elevation, and temperature all play a factor in the flight of a homer. There is true distance=where it actually landed and standard distance=where it would have landed if you account for variables.
Whatever happened to the distance between point A and B ? Variables or no it is what it is.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once I started in the aviation business I learned that straight lines don't really exist on a globe!
If that is true, how did Fielder fall off the planet?