• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lester trade

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Red Sox know they have the inside track on resigning Lester, so might as well loan him out for two months and get top dollar. Who cares where he goes. My two cents.

Yes, that is public knowledge. This is a straight-up rental and Lester is signing with them in '15. Works out well for everyone. My hopes are pinned on the Dodgers now so I'm like you guys and just hoping Ned doesn't mortgage anything for him.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is public knowledge. This is a straight-up rental and Lester is signing with them in '15. Works out well for everyone. My hopes are pinned on the Dodgers now so I'm like you guys and just hoping Ned doesn't mortgage anything for him.

Exactly. If Kershaw was 33/34 years old, then you may have to leverage some youth. But assuming Kershaw stays healthy for the next few years we can bring in some young talent all the while be smart about various free agent signings.

On a side, I really think Han Ram becomes a new man over the next two months. He's playing for a contract and I have a sneaking suspicion that money talks with ole Han Ram. Granted, anyone who overpays Han Ram this off season is bound to get screwed, however getting a motivated Hanley for the next couple of months bodes well from a production standpoint.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you completely, appears someone in the Red Sox front office noted the team likes what he could be within the friendly confines of Fenway (whatever that means). Kemp had a breakout a few years ago because he was able to hit a lot of opposite field (right center field) home runs. From what I can tell, right center field is a long ways away at Fenway. The only other reason to consider Matt Kemp is because you lost Ellsbury and need a new CF?

I dunno, I would trade Matt Kemp for a box of condoms, a Dunkin' Donuts gift card and a fat, pudgy Mexican league catcher - I hope someone is stupid enough to trade for him.

But do not worry, appears Kemps' bloated contract has completely fucked his trade value - super:

Despite reports of a Matt Kemp-for-Lester deal, and rumblings of Kemp landing in Seattle, other clubs report the Dodgers appear more likely to revisit trading Kemp next winter instead of now. And a Kemp-for-Lester deal would be more complicated than it looks, because Kemp has so much money ($114 million) left on his contract and because, as one AL exec put it, "Kemp for a two-month rental [Lester] doesn't make much sense."

People say that all the time about players. "oh they will play much better in Friendly Fenway" Which is a load of BS. The Red Sox don't need a CF'er now they have JBJ and they aren't going anywhere so I don't get why they would trade for Kemp to get a centerfielder who costs way too much who "possibly" could turn things around. Not to mention JBJ is getting slightly better at the plate.

but the reports I am hearing is that Lester might be gone because he claims he will not sign a deal with the team he gets traded for and will return to the Sox next year. Albeit that easily could change next year but if that really is true I could see the Red Sox doing it. It does appear right now that they don't really want him on the team, which is sad. With that said... Lester is NOT worth $25 million/year as he is not in the Kershaw, Verlander (albeit he is slipping) class.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp has a batting average right around .300 for the last 2 months combined. Since the All-Star break he's batting .355. His value hasn't been this high in years.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp has a batting average right around .300 for the last 2 months combined. Since the All-Star break he's batting .355. His value hasn't been this high in years.

This may be true but the Red Sox are going no where and would be wasting money to get Kemp and let's face it at this point in the season just stick with JBJ as he is somewhat turning it around at the plate

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be true but the Red Sox are going no where and would be wasting money to get Kemp and let's face it at this point in the season just stick with JBJ as he is somewhat turning it around at the plate

I definitely see where you're coming from. I was just mentioning that it's worth a small look.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't the Red trade Buchholz instead of Lester?

Oh wait.... No one wants him

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely see where you're coming from. I was just mentioning that it's worth a small look.

I think they have thought about it but decided to not do it and I don't blame them. I mean Lester has all along stated he wants to stay in Boston and would not re-sign with the club that trades for him. Granted that could all change once said team throws money at him.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A contract that reflects the market value for Lester would be approximately $22 million-$24 million a year over five or six years. Given his oft-stated desire to stay in Boston, Lester conceivably could take less.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A contract that reflects the market value for Lester would be approximately $22 million-$24 million a year over five or six years. Given his oft-stated desire to stay in Boston, Lester conceivably could take less.

I think a deep playoff run in California and a large contract could always change that but that's just speculation.

If the Dodgers aren't going to put Kemp in CF then they have to move him somehow. Hopefully he at least waits out the rest of the year if the Dodgers can't find any suitable deals. It would be pretty messed up if Kemp returned to form with the Red Sox while the Dodgers are paying part of the tab while Boston goes ahead and resigns Lester for less than market value at the end of the year.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joc Pederson will be a stud.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Dodger fan for almost 70 years and if they give up any of the following players, Pedersen, Seager or Urias for a two month rental of Jon Lester, then i hope they never win another division title or World Series until the next century.

They'd definitely look like dummies doing that.
Lester has already said he'll probably go back to Boston.
No thanks.

sublime4eva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Lester, Dodgers don't need no player who don't want to be here.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a deep playoff run in California and a large contract could always change that but that's just speculation.

If the Dodgers aren't going to put Kemp in CF then they have to move him somehow. Hopefully he at least waits out the rest of the year if the Dodgers can't find any suitable deals. It would be pretty messed up if Kemp returned to form with the Red Sox while the Dodgers are paying part of the tab while Boston goes ahead and resigns Lester for less than market value at the end of the year.

That's what I am thinking as well. Sure now Lester states he will return to Boston if traded and won't sign elsewhere but it he gets an offer that blows him out of the water and the Red Sox won't come close or match then why would he come back?

sublime4eva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers should go after Hamels and see where that goes, Lester is too much of a risk to leave.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is on the block also. The Dodgers want Pederson up and I would be surprised if after this season, Kemp, Crawford and Van Slyke are gone. Ethier, Puig and Pederson and a replacement are what 2015 has in store. Also I would not have Haren pitch one more inning unless it is out of the pen and bring up the best prospect for the 5th starter.

HUBSTER

I don't re-Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as one Red Sox fan who'll be surprised if Lester is traded by the deadline.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers should go after Hamels and see where that goes, Lester is too much of a risk to leave.

If he does leave then we still get a portion of Kemp's salary off the books, we're going to need to pay guys like Dee Gordon soon. We don't need this many outfielders pulling in multi-millions, especially with Pederson waiting in the wings, and Kemp has the most value compared to Crawford or Ethier.

The Phillies are asking for too much for Hamels I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does leave then we still get a portion of Kemp's salary off the books, we're going to need to pay guys like Dee Gordon soon. We don't need this many outfielders pulling in multi-millions, especially with Pederson waiting in the wings, and Kemp has the most value compared to Crawford or Ethier.

The Phillies are asking for too much for Hamels I think.

This is pretty much why i dont mind keeping Kemp. He is the youngest and still has many good possible seasons left. The problem is he is kinda being a bitch talking about Center field. Its like some kind of prestige to him cause who really gives a fuck yo. The only difference between now and 2011 is that you arent as good defensively, you dont hit like you used to, you strikeout about once or more a game, and you arent the stud of the team anymore. Get the fuck over it dude. Hes getting paid and is a career dodger. He really is being a little bitch right now. no reason to want to leave except that hes coping out with his fucking excuses.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty much why i dont mind keeping Kemp. He is the youngest and still has many good possible seasons left. The problem is he is kinda being a bitch talking about Center field. Its like some kind of prestige to him cause who really gives a fuck yo. The only difference between now and 2011 is that you arent as good defensively, you dont hit like you used to, you strikeout about once or more a game, and you arent the stud of the team anymore. Get the fuck over it dude. Hes getting paid and is a career dodger. He really is being a little bitch right now. no reason to want to leave except that hes coping out with his fucking excuses.

You're right, Kemp might find some semblance of his peak form. However, even in peak form he is a strikeout machine. Imagine what 20 million per year could do for our bullpen.