• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leffe Blonde Belgian Ale

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what are some other good beers for a noob? I've gotten Warty's recommendations written on a list already. Looking to add to the list .......

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long Trail Ale (kind of like a German Altbier I think), Brooklyn Brown Ale, Bell's Oberon (someone recommended to me a few months back..pretty good for the style).

Not throwing in any of the IPA's. Quickly becoming my favorite..

Whatever you do don't waste your $$ on any of the Shock-Top shit. I drank a couple hand me down leftovers of their IPA a week ago. It was laughable. Didn't even finish (which is pretty bad for me..no alcohol abuse).

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long Trail Ale (kind of like a German Altbier I think), Brooklyn Brown Ale, Bell's Oberon (someone recommended to me a few months back..pretty good for the style).

Not throwing in any of the IPA's. Quickly becoming my favorite..

Whatever you do don't waste your $$ on any of the Shock-Top shit. I drank a couple hand me down leftovers of their IPA a week ago. It was laughable. Didn't even finish (which is pretty bad for me..no alcohol abuse).

Word. Shock Top and Blue Moon actually make me angry.

Some more to try, since it is the season: Sam Adams Octoberfest, Spaten Octoberfest, Becks Octoberfest (if you can find it; they don't distribute out here anymore), Krombacher Dark, and in a pinch Negra Modelo (this is a vienna-style beer, despite being brewed in Mexico).

Also, if you're into the German Pilsners I previously listed, track down Spaten, Bitburger, Krombacher and Paulaner (not the hefe).

I could do this all day. I'm going to a liquor store...

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
excellent. Thanks ya'll. This will give me a good start and maybe a feeling of which direction I want to head. I'll be going back to the store Friday. Scratch that. Saturday morning. Dinner date on Friday with the wife. Gonna wine and dine and 6 ..... oh who am I kidding, .... probably go to sleep.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brew Free! or Die IPA
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale
Sapporo Reserve ?? For some reason I like this one...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word. Shock Top and Blue Moon actually make me angry.

Some more to try, since it is the season: Sam Adams Octoberfest, Spaten Octoberfest, Becks Octoberfest (if you can find it; they don't distribute out here anymore), Krombacher Dark, and in a pinch Negra Modelo (this is a vienna-style beer, despite being brewed in Mexico).

Also, if you're into the German Pilsners I previously listed, track down Spaten, Bitburger, Krombacher and Paulaner (not the hefe).

I could do this all day. I'm going to a liquor store...

Shock Top = Anheiser Busch
Blue Moon = Coors

right?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's see

Dale's Pale Ale
Weyerbacker Quad
Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic
Arrogant Bastard - Stone Brewing
Midas Touch - Dogfish Head
Saison Du Buff - joint brew from Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory
Hop Devil - Victory
Prima Pils - Victory

will think of more, boss just gave me something to do...wtf, i'm trying to talk beer here

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's see

Dale's Pale Ale
Weyerbacker Quad
Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic
Arrogant Bastard - Stone Brewing
Midas Touch - Dogfish Head
Saison Du Buff - joint brew from Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory
Hop Devil - Victory
Prima Pils - Victory

will think of more, boss just gave me something to do...wtf, i'm trying to talk beer here

Double Bastard is nice if available. Oaked Bastard is just okay.

Ruination by Stone is one of my top 10 beers ever. But you better like big beers, and you better like hops.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leffe was pretty good. That 11.2 oz bottle felt a little petite in my hand though.

Pour into a glass... Beer tastes better that way. You also don't get the head and nose unless you pour. It's all part of the experience.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I haven't been able to get back to my beer market. It's 20 miles from the house and I'm not driving all the way to the city just for beer. SO, I have had to settle on the local Bi-Lo (supermarket) selection. They have a few craft beers but not much. So I grabbed what I hope is something suitable. Dundee? It was a variety 12 pack. IPA, Pale Bock, Pilsner, and a Stout. (3 each of course).

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I haven't been able to get back to my beer market. It's 20 miles from the house and I'm not driving all the way to the city just for beer. SO, I have had to settle on the local Bi-Lo (supermarket) selection. They have a few craft beers but not much. So I grabbed what I hope is something suitable. Dundee? It was a variety 12 pack. IPA, Pale Bock, Pilsner, and a Stout. (3 each of course).

I'm not a huge fan of Dundee, but it's not bad either. It's hard to find an IPA I don't enjoy. How'd that Pale Bock taste?

Don't forget to pour!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of Dundee, but it's not bad either. It's hard to find an IPA I don't enjoy. How'd that Pale Bock taste?

Don't forget to pour!

yup, did pour. I had three mugs stuck up in the cabinet and threw them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. That Pale Bock was about as smooth a beer as I've ever had. If I had to describe it, I guess I'd say it was clean from start to finish. Nothing big and bold. Just a nice smooth beer.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Double Bastard is nice if available. Oaked Bastard is just okay.

Ruination by Stone is one of my top 10 beers ever. But you better like big beers, and you better like hops.

Ruination is awesome, cant believe i left that one out!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after sampling everything in the variety pack, I have concluded that they are all very similar. The only stand out is the IPA. Even the stout wasn't as big and bold as I had thought it might be. The pilsner and pale bock were very smooth and very agreeable for a newbie palette. I think I'm growing fond of the IPA's or at least the hoppy (?) flavor. I guess it's the hops, but I know it's the flavor all the IPA's have on common. These are good beers. I can't believe I'm 41 and just now trying these (IPA'S). :L

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after sampling everything in the variety pack, I have concluded that they are all very similar. The only stand out is the IPA. Even the stout wasn't as big and bold as I had thought it might be. The pilsner and pale bock were very smooth and very agreeable for a newbie palette. I think I'm growing fond of the IPA's or at least the hoppy (?) flavor. I guess it's the hops, but I know it's the flavor all the IPA's have on common. These are good beers. I can't believe I'm 41 and just now trying these (IPA'S). :L

They tasted the same because you froze your mugs! Some beers are supposed to be tasted near room temperature. I prefer fridge cold though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
try the Brutal Bitter from Rogue too, thats a good 'un

for some tasty IPAs (i'm a hophead also, and always lean more to IPAs)

Ranger Pale Ale - New Belgium
Racer 5 - Bear Republic (i think i already mentioned this one)
Dogfish Head 90 Minute, the 60 minute one is good too
Ruination from Stone has been mentioned
Bell's Two Hearted
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Nugget Nectar from Troegs