• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

League needs to allow challenges on PI calls

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped caring about bad calls years ago. It's part of the human element. Refs are fallible just like players and coaches.

They have been calling tight games with Seattle the past couple weeks, but I thought that they called it pretty tight for both teams.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass interference is probably the biggest way the refs can control a football game. We saw it with Ron Winter's crew in Indianapolis. I also take issue with PI being a spot foul. The refs can change a game so drastically on a whim. I believe PI should be 15 yards just like it is in college. Yeah it still affects the game but it takes away the ability for the refs to give 50+ yards just because. There's too many PI calls throughout the league that are just terrible. DB's shouldn't be punished like that because we have officials who are so bad at their jobs that they're wrong just as often as they're right. JMO

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still hold refs more accountable … And there are plays they call where there is CLEARLY no holding or contact … Slight contact is allowed anyway and shouldn't be called PI … I like it from a phycological aspect because it will put pressure on the refs to not call ridiculously stupid PI call's knowing it COULD be challenged… Coaches only having so many challenges wouldn't waste um on so so call's… JUST the ridiculous ones…

Irrelevant. No call can be overturned on replay with a judgement call. Any contact whatsoever guarantees the call stands.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass interference is probably the biggest way the refs can control a football game. We saw it with Ron Winter's crew in Indianapolis. I also take issue with PI being a spot foul. The refs can change a game so drastically on a whim. I believe PI should be 15 yards just like it is in college. Yeah it still affects the game but it takes away the ability for the refs to give 50+ yards just because. There's too many PI calls throughout the league that are just terrible. DB's shouldn't be punished like that because we have officials who are so bad at their jobs that they're wrong just as often as they're right. JMO

Then you encourage defenders to interfere when they're beat. It has to be a spot foul.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you encourage defenders to interfere when they're beat. It has to be a spot foul.

No it doesn't. If refs were good enough to consistently call PI correctly I would agree with you. However they are not. 15 yard PI doesn't ruin the college game at all.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that. If the DB is beat for what could go for a 80 yard TD, why not trip him up and take the 15 yards?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. If the DB is beat for what could go for a 80 yard TD, why not trip him up and take the 15 yards?

Good point. You convinced me. I really don't really understand complaining about things out of your control. Bad calls are going to happen and hopefully they end up balancing out at the end and if they don't they don't.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. If refs were good enough to consistently call PI correctly I would agree with you. However they are not. 15 yard PI doesn't ruin the college game at all.

The solution is worse than the problem. Incorrectly called PIs are rare and veteran players are experienced enough that they would take advantage of the change frequently.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The solution is worse than the problem. Incorrectly called PIs are rare and veteran players are experienced enough that they would take advantage of the change frequently.

I disagree nothing can be done… The league has made PI call's over the years increase BIG TIME from rule changes… Remember the no touch rule back in 2004 I think it was where you couldn't even put a feeler out on the db… What happened next? RECORD setting yards in passing… The league can back off and allow some contact as long as it's not holding … holding should be called every time and it's pretty obvious when that happens… I will not accept the solution is worse than the problem.. NOT A CHANCE… This problem was created by the league and can be fixed by the league… It's not by chance production is as it's all time high offensively overall in the NFL… This is by design and it starts with cheesy officiating making it dam near impossible for db's to cover without a flag being thrown…

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many incorrect PI's do you think have been called this year?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many incorrect PI's do you think have been called this year?

OH man… I've been pretty frustrated watching some of these call's … I just think it's asking the impossible to expect no contact when some of the best athletes on the planet are running full speed right at you… As far as how many I can't answer, but I know i've watched games where your wondering WTF just happened especially on the replay when you see good defense get squashed by refs… I've seen allot of 3rd and long play's end up 1st downs from refs and not from good offensive execution… I like the Ray Lewis meltdown when he said the opponent can't move the ball so the refs move it for um….

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I can't stand is the bang bang play with the receiver dropping the ball and the defender gets called for hitting a defenseless receiver. Those guys need to try to disrupt the pass. Are they supposed to wait until the guy catches it and then hit them? I guess they are saying you can't hit or tackle someone unless they have established possession of the ball and you should be attempting an interception or knocking the ball away instead of a hitting the player at the moment of the catch. There is more contact on a post move in the NBA than that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH man… I've been pretty frustrated watching some of these call's … I just think it's asking the impossible to expect no contact when some of the best athletes on the planet are running full speed right at you… As far as how many I can't answer, but I know i've watched games where your wondering WTF just happened especially on the replay when you see good defense get squashed by refs… I've seen allot of 3rd and long play's end up 1st downs from refs and not from good offensive execution… I like the Ray Lewis meltdown when he said the opponent can't move the ball so the refs move it for um….

It's not that PI should be any contact. It's that that's what replays make happen.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, now how much will that ref be fined? No point in just admitting there was a mistake without any consequence. After all, players get fined thousands upon thousands of dollars for wearing the wrong colored socks.

I doubt they're gonna be fined... I think they get downgraded and will affect their chances at reffing at the Superbowl. If the league didn't fine the refs that was the debacle of SB 40, then they're not gonna fine refs for this.:L

At any rate, if the league is admitting mistakes, then yea... fine them. Downgrading the refs means shiet.:noidea:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rough estimate would be that about 20-25% of all PI calls are highly questionable.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone catch the Safety called against the Ohio QB the other night? He was at the 4 yard line and threw it away for grounding yet the ref standing right next to him calls a safety, and because spot fouls can't be reviewed it stood. I hope the NCAA changes that rule so that never happens again. What a garbage loophole in the system.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone catch the Safety called against the Ohio QB the other night? He was at the 4 yard line and threw it away for grounding yet the ref standing right next to him calls a safety, and because spot fouls can't be reviewed it stood. I hope the NCAA changes that rule so that never happens again. What a garbage loophole in the system.

Y! SPORTS

I would have done the youtube video, but the only one I found was horrible.