• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Las Vegas Golden Knights

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering what was behind the name, it made no sense to me. Only connection I made was The Excalibur and then that was it.

The logo and name is an epic fail to me, but then it dawned on me that Vegas is known all about cheese and being over the top and by not being over the top and going for the AHL look it fits the play of being over the top. A little reverse psychology marketing if you will. The logo is complete ass.

I was wondering where the T--Mobil Arena was and looking on the map it is on the Strip right by NYNY. Good luck getting into that place on a Saturday evening from Las Vegas Boulevard if you are driving, the game will be over befoe you sniff the front door.

Regardless should be interesting to see how it plays out, the team should be somewhat competitive based on the player eligibility expansion rules so we shouldn't be seeing them get killed 8-0 nightly like we did Anaheim, Tampa Bay, SJ, Ottawa, etc. I also believe Vegas will be a fully profitable team unlike others (Atlanta, Phoenix) and should be successful financially.

If they choose Brown in the ED I will do cartwheels. I saw a mock draft on TSN a few days ago and they had Forbert going, I hope not because he is looking better and better every game. Should be some interesting choices in player protection come ED time.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tell who has been to Vegas and who hasn't:

Vegas NHL franchise gets a name, but loses a 'Las'

Down the article you'll see a tweet where someone says eventually it'll morph into the Las Vegas Knights, I'll go one further and say eventually it'll just be the Vegas Knights.

I wonder if they are looking at Mike Richards through free agency, he should be able to keep his nose clean in Vegas.

=)~~

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they choose Brown in the ED I will do cartwheels. I saw a mock draft on TSN a few days ago and they had Forbert going, I hope not because he is looking better and better every game. Should be some interesting choices in player protection come ED time.

If I am not mistaken, McPhee has publicly stated the way to build a team is through the amateur draft. Therefore, gotta figure Vegas would select players in Expansion that they have the most control over. RFAs > UFAs. Either to keep and build around, or likely trade bait for future prospects / picks.

As folks have mentioned before, they need guys like Dustin Brown that fill certain boxes: former winners, good leaders, help instill winning culture in young players, etc, etc. And most important, to help fill out salary cap(floor) until their young draft picks get past ELCs and into bigger $$$ 3-5 years down the road.

However, it would still take a Miracle for Vegas to select Brown. I have been thinking its likely Forbort or McNabb. All things being equal, Forbort would be more attractive as an RFA after 2018 vs. McNabb as an UFA in 2018. Seeing as the Kings will likely have an abundance of Left shooting d-men at the end of the season (Muzzin, Martinez, McNabb, Forbort, Gravel), maybe it isn't the worst thing???

Here is another conspiracy theory...... and question: Forbort still needs to play 20 more games to be Expansion Draft eligible. What if he suffers a "season-ending" injury before he completes those 20 games? Would he still be eligible to be selected in Expansion???

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McPhee and his team don't know what direction they want to go in - do they want a veteran team with a chance to compete to generate buzz or do they want to go the tank route and draft and develop? That has yet to be determined, just read that this morning.

If it comes down to Forbert or McNabb, my preference would be McNabb - he has been here for 3+ seasons now and honestly I am not overly impressed. He is serviceable but that is about it, he has not progressed as was expected (Mitchell clone). Forbert seems to have more upside, not to mention the free agency status of both as you mentioned, so that of course makes him more attractive. Should be interesting to see how this all shakes down.

Regarding your conspiracy theory, the Kings do not have to have one. They simply can choose to bench him so he is not eligible for the draft. When "season ending" injuries are mentioned, there is a specific process involved that includes team doctors and league doctors; there is no way to "fake" one. It either is real or it isn't although there are some gray areas that can be tweeked to your advantage as a team.

I haven't checked the rules, but if they state "...appears in XX games" then no, he would not be eligible since he would be on the roster (unless LTIR) but didn't play in a game.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aren't familiar with the sport, you are going to love it. If you have watched it on TV, there is so much more that happens live that isn't on TV because all they do is focus on the puck carrier.

Welcome to the brotherhood and congratulations on getting a team, a ton of Canadians are pissed because they felt entitled to a team.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas Knights will be the name in a few years
The Golden part sucks.
The logos are ok
The Helmet with the V looks like Magneto of the X men
The star Secondary with the swords is taken from the Welcome to Las Vegas Sign.
I don't know if I would go just to see a game, but if I was going to Las Vegas, I might look at the schedule and adjust my trip.

Bettman was funny, telling the fans that it was ok to boo him. It shows they are a hockey city. Maybe some day they could boo him as he awards a Stanley cup.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I thought (Magneto), and the the handles on the swords looked like push pins to me. Pretty lame concept overall but nothing will ever top a stupid duck flying out of ice breaking.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aren't familiar with the sport, you are going to love it. If you have watched it on TV, there is so much more that happens live that isn't on TV because all they do is focus on the puck carrier.

Welcome to the brotherhood and congratulations on getting a team, a ton of Canadians are pissed because they felt entitled to a team.
It has been difficult for me in the past to get into hockey because I never felt invested in a team. But I am pretty pumped for the team and going to games. I assume Vegas and LA will be natural rivals after awhile.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I thought (Magneto), and the the handles on the swords looked like push pins to me. Pretty lame concept overall but nothing will ever top a stupid duck flying out of ice breaking.
Hey we had Burger King, so can't take the high ground on ugly logos.
I have read that a lot of locals are upset with the name
Dropping Las and hating golden.
The whole cant just use knights name excuse is lame.

Many VGK fans were/are Kings fans but I can see those games being a little louder than most

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering what was behind the name, it made no sense to me. Only connection I made was The Excalibur and then that was it.

The logo and name is an epic fail to me, but then it dawned on me that Vegas is known all about cheese and being over the top and by not being over the top and going for the AHL look it fits the play of being over the top. A little reverse psychology marketing if you will. The logo is complete ass.

I heard the NHL said they couldn't use any kind of "gambling" in their name or logos. Plus the London Knights axed the Black Knights name.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been difficult for me in the past to get into hockey because I never felt invested in a team. But I am pretty pumped for the team and going to games. I assume Vegas and LA will be natural rivals after awhile.

Vegas has a lot of Kings fans, stemming from the first outdoor NHL game ever against the Kings/Rangers in 1991 and then Frozen Fury, which started in 1997 to current with this year being the first it moved to the T-Mobil Arena but prior to that always inside the MGM at the Grand Garden Arena. It was the Kings and the Colorado Avalanche for the most part for many of these but the Ducks, Sharks and Stars have made appearances. It's generally the last preseason game of the year for LA.

I enjoyed them initially but even as a die hard Kings fan I can't stand the Kings fan base sometimes, particularity the myopic ones and specifically a group from another message board who gather as a group and go to FF. As the years went by to me they embarrassed us as Kings fans, looking to Vegas as a reason to just get drunk and act stupid. I went religiously until 2008, which was my last one. Couldn't take it anymore, I witnessed some complete idiocy over time going and most were wearing Kings jerseys. Grow up.

A rivalry however is truly built on a few playoff matches, which I think will need to happen before it can be considered one. I will definitely make a trip to Vegas now however to see the team and arena.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was talking this weekend with my uncle and he mentioned Vegas maybe taking some guys just to reach the Cap Floor, which I never really considered. They won't be able to just take a bunch of young UFAs and build a good young team. They may need to take a guy like Brown.

On his overall situation, I'm really not sure how to feel. Best case is the Kings win the cup with him on the roster, but every time that they don't, and glaring holes that could have been filled with his cap money are missed out on, then he becomes (more like his contract) easier to "dislike" or, at least, see as less essential to the process.

I don't want to sound like a true hater, but I have been rather unimpressed with Kopitar so far this year, and was hoping to see him taking over games. I know that he was hurt for 5 games, and let's see what he's able to do with Gaborik's return (Once Gaborik gets back into shape etc.), but so far, he has not looked like the 3rd highest player in the league.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey we had Burger King, so can't take the high ground on ugly logos.
I have read that a lot of locals are upset with the name
Dropping Las and hating golden.
The whole cant just use knights name excuse is lame.

Many VGK fans were/are Kings fans but I can see those games being a little louder than most

Right on cue: Look how much the official NHL shop is trying to sell this "Vintage Jersey" for. You know they didn't remake this, and just pulled it out of the closet on Cyber Monday to see if they could trick a few people into buying it.

Men's Los Angeles Kings Wayne Gretzky Mitchell & Ness White 1995/96 Throwback Alternate Authentic Vintage Jersey

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right on cue: Look how much the official NHL shop is trying to sell this "Vintage Jersey" for. You know they didn't remake this, and just pulled it out of the closet on Cyber Monday to see if they could trick a few people into buying it.

Men's Los Angeles Kings Wayne Gretzky Mitchell & Ness White 1995/96 Throwback Alternate Authentic Vintage Jersey

That's about right actually - seen them on eBay starting at $300 or so as the bid.

Love me my jerseys - in fact I just got a Richards # 10* home black not too long ago for $40, score - but this one, no matter if it was $5, I would not buy. It is ugly as shit and will somehow contaminate my closet.

*joins my 2005-06 Sean Avery # 19 white. Apparently I like players with issues since I have been one my whole life. Now all I need is a Brodeur, Voynov, Daneyko and Heatley jersey to complete my All Derelict Team.

=)~~

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was talking this weekend with my uncle and he mentioned Vegas maybe taking some guys just to reach the Cap Floor, which I never really considered. They won't be able to just take a bunch of young UFAs and build a good young team. They may need to take a guy like Brown.

Absolutely. Only thing is that there will be 29 other teams holding a vigil that night in hopes their prayers are answered by Vegas selecting one of the many "over-paid" players left exposed in the Expansion Draft. The best thing the Kings have going in that regard is that Brown is a quality person, good teammate, hard worker, etc. And just maybe Vegas banks on their fans identifying with Brown as the former captain (and SC winner) of the nearby team local fans would likely have rooting for in the past.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the rules are structured the floor is not going to be a problem, they will be carrying a decent salary right off the bat. They will have some $4-5+ million guys on the roster immediately; this was done so that they are competitive in 2017-18 (the theory being guys making that kind of money are veterans and/or decent players).

We're not going to see a 10-70-4 team like the Senators or the craptastic early year Ducks, Lightning, Sharks, etc.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hope Vegas will take a bad deal.
If I were them, I would sign one UFA, forward, dman and goalie.
There should be some decent guys available and they can overpay for "leadership "
They can drive the UFA market prices and not only get a good player, they can also hurt other teams cap for a long time.
No need for Brown when TJ Oshie or Ben Bishop might hit the market