• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lamarr Houston to outside linebacker

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the transition? He was one of the guys I was extremely curious to see what we would do with position-wise.

Last year was pretty damned awful, and the way it ended for him was just a joke in and of itself. Tough for me to get overly excited about him anymore, I suppose it's just wait and see. However, some folks are really optimistic about this.

What do you think?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will not be a good outside linebacker. He is a hand on the ground player. Not sure why they think he can adjust to that position.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the transition? He was one of the guys I was extremely curious to see what we would do with position-wise.

Last year was pretty damned awful, and the way it ended for him was just a joke in and of itself. Tough for me to get overly excited about him anymore, I suppose it's just wait and see. However, some folks are really optimistic about this.

What do you think?
Awful??? He played the run very well and that was all I expected from him. So not awful for me. The way he got hurt was just so stupid that it's hard to believe. And no I can't see him at OLB. Seems a really bad fit. Maybe he'll surprise us all. Why is he not a DE still?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like he is best suited as a de in a 3-4 scheme. Either way, the man is useless. Players that get season ending injuries celebrating a personal accomplishment whilst down 25 points ain't worth shit. He's the DE version of Roy Williams. Fuck that.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every defensive end for the bears are being considered OLB now, from Houston to Allen to Bass and young

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the lack of 5 Tech's on the team right now, and the fact he played the 5 tech with the Raiders, I fully expect him to put on weight and play the 5 tech for the Bears.

We have a zillion LB's right now and like 1 5 Tech (the new guy), especially when you consider neither Allen or Young can play a 5 tech and will be playing LB.

So LB's are Allen, Young, Bostic, Green, McClellin, Jones, Bass, Brown & Lattimore.

And most of us expect the Bears to draft either a DT or another LB. AND there is maybe only 2 ILB in that group... Bostic/Jones... And I think that's making Jones play ILB, he's more of an OLB.

Also, we are going to spend a lot of money this coming year on Allen who's going to spend a lot of time on the bench. I only see him as a situational pass rushing 5-tech, and especially if we draft a young pass rushing OLB.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like he is best suited as a de in a 3-4 scheme. Either way, the man is useless. Players that get season ending injuries celebrating a personal accomplishment whilst down 25 points ain't worth shit. He's the DE version of Roy Williams. Fuck that.

Listen, last year was frustrating for everyone, players included. The way he went down epitomized the whole season. It shouldn't define him as a whole tho. Tulloch from Detroit went down in a similar fashion and he's been a great player for Detroit?

I will wait and see.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm not sure I understand this move. Really...I'm scratching my head hard. Houston was our best run defender last year until he got hurt. There's a reason teams did not run his direction very much. I would think he has the size and quickness balance you would want in a 3-4 DE. He is explosive in his use of leverage to check the momentum against the run, but now they want him to lose weight and stand up. Why? He doesn't seem to me to have the same straight line speed. I guess the coaches know more than I do.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, last year was frustrating for everyone, players included. The way he went down epitomized the whole season. It shouldn't define him as a whole tho. Tulloch from Detroit went down in a similar fashion and he's been a great player for Detroit?

I will wait and see.

Not to mention, it was a damn fine celebration, so it may have been worth it.

I think he's a strongside 5 technique guy all day long. If they want to try him at OLB, they might as well try him at strong safety as well. In other words, he's not a linebacker in any scheme, but feel free prove me wrong, Lamarr.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, is anyone else thinking of DeDe Lattimore as a potential ILB candidate?

I think he'd do much better than Bostic who always seems to get caught up in the wash.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I was thinking of Brandon Spikes. He's a great run defending linebacker. I'm not sure why he hasn't been signed yet. As far as I know he is healthy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears are really short on 5 tech's at the moment. I don't know what this D is going to look like.

RT- Ratliff, Sutton, Merrell
NT- Ego, Ratliff, Dunn
LT- Washington, Lane, Merrell

Not really ready to hang my hat on this bunch.

Meantime, the list of LB's has grown exponentially... Houston, Bass, Allen, Young, Bostic, Greene, Brown, Jones, Lattimore, McClellin, McPhee... 11 guys for 4 spots. lol.

And this is before draft picks, where everyone is expecting us to grab OLB's and ILB's. Even funnier. I mean, I don't have a clue how many LB's a team is suppose to carry, but I have a hunch it is less than 11.

I see the Bears only picking 1 LB in the draft.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears are really short on 5 tech's at the moment. I don't know what this D is going to look like.

RT- Ratliff, Sutton, Merrell
NT- Ego, Ratliff, Dunn
LT- Washington, Lane, Merrell

Not really ready to hang my hat on this bunch.

Meantime, the list of LB's has grown exponentially... Houston, Bass, Allen, Young, Bostic, Greene, Brown, Jones, Lattimore, McClellin, McPhee... 11 guys for 4 spots. lol.

And this is before draft picks, where everyone is expecting us to grab OLB's and ILB's. Even funnier. I mean, I don't have a clue how many LB's a team is suppose to carry, but I have a hunch it is less than 11.

I am fine with Ratliff, Ego and Sutton as our starting line. You also need to remember that they will still want the lineman to line up in a 4-3 from time to time, its better to have Houston and Allen at OLB when that change is called from the sideline. I am sure there will also be training camp cuts at DT that will get more people here.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with Ratliff, Ego and Sutton as our starting line. You also need to remember that they will still want the lineman to line up in a 4-3 from time to time, its better to have Houston and Allen at OLB when that change is called from the sideline. I am sure there will also be training camp cuts at DT that will get more people here.

Not sure how, technically only 2 current Bears can play NT, really 1 with exp. Ratliff, Ego could back him up, but he's really a 5 tech in a 3-4, but whatever... What other NT's do we have? Dunn? I included him because he's on the roster as a DT... He did nothing last year. McPhee can play NT on pass plays. In fact, we need to add a NT in the draft.

All the experts say Sutton is to short to play a 5 tech and way to light to play NT. In my opinion, he gets cut. I have zero clue who the Merrell guy is. If we put Allen and Houston at OLB what is McPhee going to play? He's not an ILB. What do you do with Bass, Young, McClellin? You could argue Lattimore and Bostic ILB but where does that leave Jones? How about any new guys we draft?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Number one, I'm not sure Sutton will make the roster. He didn't look very good last year, and he's not a great fit for this system. I'd say he's 50-50.

Two, just curious, but where did this notion Houston is going to OLB come from? I looked around and haven't seen this.