• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to hire a doormat as head coach.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best part about the NBA right now is the fact that the Lakers are completely dysfunctional

giphy.gif

I strongly dislike you.....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you are fired by the Magic, and the Magic go on to win 17 more games...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.........

The Lakers have LEBron, and the selling point if being in LA- and they come away with Frank Vogel.

It might not be a bad decision but its just a terribly underwhelming decision.

I am sure Vogel will be okay- but i dont even know if its an improvement over Walton to be honest. Do LeBron and Vogel have some kind of relationship?

if thinks get tough is the front office going to go behind Vogel's back to Jason Kidd for some dirt?

Just a very very weird setup and process.

Monty Williams or Ty Lue would both have made a lot more sense if you ask me. Now they hired a 2nd tier coach before ever hiring a President of Basketball Ops....

dont you usally bring in a TEam President that hires the coach or at least has some input on that?

What kind of credible Team President is going to walk into a situation where they cant bring in their guy?

very very weird stuff

I even kind of like Vogel...I think he is a decent NBA coach- but Williams and Lue were both better candidates and they hired the coach before the President which is ass-backwards and I dont think Vogel- who coached the PAcers and Magic- and how he operates as kind of a disciplinarian, tough guy is a good fit with LeBron.

It took Monty 3 years to build a winning team around AD. Your own team dumped Ty as soon as Lebron left town, halfway through the guaranteed portion of his contract. Vogel is 2nd tier but Monty isn't? Where are all the other teams asking after Lue? If he's only a fit for Lebron, that tells you something about how teams view his value as an actual coach and not a ball boy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best part about the NBA right now is the fact that the Lakers are completely dysfunctional

giphy.gif
And yet it has been reported that Irving is open to signing with the Lakers. IF that happens, the Lakers will automatically become a contender. In order to actually beat the Warriors, they would still need a third elite player short of Ingram or Ball becoming one.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took Monty 3 years to build a winning team around AD. Your own team dumped Ty as soon as Lebron left town, halfway through the guaranteed portion of his contract. Vogel is 2nd tier but Monty isn't? Where are all the other teams asking after Lue? If he's only a fit for Lebron, that tells you something about how teams view his value as an actual coach and not a ball boy.
LOL, they really don't know basketball in here and are dumber then horses. I get it that Vogel isn't the best coach in the NBA, but neither is Tyrone Lue and Neither was Luke Walton. Byron Scott wasn't either and neither was D'antoni. The Lakers have had long list of losers since Phil Jackson and half of the Lakers were bitching about him, so they are going pick at the coach no matter what

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now the Lakers aren’t going to hire a new GM to replace Magic. Lebron is that good I guess.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet it has been reported that Irving is open to signing with the Lakers. IF that happens, the Lakers will automatically become a contender. In order to actually beat the Warriors, they would still need a third elite player short of Ingram or Ball becoming one.

If they got Irving.....they could use Ingram as the #3 option and sign role players.....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally everyone who covers the Lakers and everyone who covers the NBA are questioning this.

Look, Kurt Rambis may be a great PBO. But we don't know that because he's never been one. He's never even been a GM.

The Lakers are entering what is arguably the most important off-season since after the '95 season when they got Shaq and Kobe and they don't have a coach, the don't have a PBO and they are relying on people with no FO experience to guide them through the process.

That might be fine, if they didn't have an inexperienced GM that, according to reports, some in the league don't even want to talk to, let alone do business with.

So, in your estimation, the Lakers and Jeanie looking stupid, doing things backwards and everyone laughing at them is just them being smarter than everyone else? Linda Rambis is being referred to as the Lakers "shadow owner."

As bad as things look, the Lakers aren't that far from being back to contender status. Lebron has apparently been recruiting, if he can convince one to come to the Lakers, then things suddenly start looking better.

If the Cowherd report that they already have the PBO, he's with a current playoff team are true, things will look even better.

However, as of now, it looks like the Lakers are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.
Report: Lakers won't hire replacement for Magic Johnson

The Los Angeles Lakers will not hire a new president of basketball operations to replace the departed Magic Johnson according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN. Instead, General Manager Rob Pelinka will become the team's top basketball decision-maker and report directly to owner Jeanie Buss. Kurt Rambis will not see a change in his title, and will remain a special advisor to the team. Considering Shelburne's reputation as a mouthpiece for Buss, this essentially amounts to an official announcement from the team, and it is one that is long overdue.

Looks like any "rumors" about a President of Basketball Operations on a playoff team were complete horse shit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Los Angeles Lakers will not hire a new president of basketball operations to replace the departed Magic Johnson according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN. Instead, General Manager Rob Pelinka will become the team's top basketball decision-maker and report directly to owner Jeanie Buss. Kurt Rambis will not see a change in his title, and will remain a special advisor to the team. Considering Shelburne's reputation as a mouthpiece for Buss, this essentially amounts to an official announcement from the team, and it is one that is long overdue.

Looks like any "rumors" about a President of Basketball Operations on a playoff team were complete horse shit.

Certainly looks so. Not surprising that they aren't looking to fill the position, since it didn't really exist before it was created for Magic (at least not with the Lakers). Jimmy Buss may have worked as a PBO, but he's ownership. Mitch didn't report to a PBO previously, and neither did Jerry West.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly looks so. Not surprising that they aren't looking to fill the position, since it didn't really exist before it was created for Magic (at least not with the Lakers). Jimmy Buss may have worked as a PBO, but he's ownership. Mitch didn't report to a PBO previously, and neither did Jerry West.
I mean, some people were saying they thought the Lakers had already hired one like Ujiri but were just waiting for the playoffs to be over to announce it- and that obviously was a load of crap.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, some people were saying they thought the Lakers had already hired one like Ujiri but were just waiting for the playoffs to be over to announce it- and that obviously was a load of crap.

Just speculation due to the rumor. Don't take it personally, lol.

Also, could still be true. How much disinformation has come out of the Lakers these past few months, lol?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take it up with Colin Cowherd and a couple of others since they reported it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, a rumor was reported and other people, including reporters started speculating about it.

Was there a point other than you wanting to point out the obvious?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just speculation due to the rumor. Don't take it personally, lol.

Also, could still be true. How much disinformation has come out of the Lakers these past few months, lol?
I just thought it was a stupid rumor that did not make sense in the first place.

What kind of GM with any clout is not going to have the power to pick his coach? What kind of GM with any clout would want to walk into that situation with anything less than full power considering it seems like the Lakers have like multiple people with their hands in the pot.

I thought it was a dumb rumor in the first place and I am not surprised it was bullshit.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought it was a stupid rumor that did not make sense in the first place.

What kind of GM with any clout is not going to have the power to pick his coach? What kind of GM with any clout would want to walk into that situation with anything less than full power considering it seems like the Lakers have like multiple people with their hands in the pot.

I thought it was a dumb rumor in the first place and I am not surprised it was bullshit.
Just gonna leave his here if anyone is interested.

Magic got folks trying to sink Pelinka...lol