• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to hire a doormat as head coach.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kidd will be the coach likely within 3 years

3 years? How about 3 weeks. If Vogel starts out like 8-9 you can bet your ass you'll see Kidd pulling players to the side during huddles and leaks to the media about how there's "division among the players about the coaching staff". That dude is a snake.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao at hiring Vogel with Kidd being his top assistant.

Vogel with the Magic last year: 25 wins
Magic with a new coach this year: 42 wins

Kidd with Bucks last year: fired Midway through the year.
Bucks with a new coach this year: 60 wins

Both franchises were MUCH better after getting rid of those coaches. And now they are the top 2 with the Lakers? Lmao.
when you are fired by the Magic, and the Magic go on to win 17 more games...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.........

The Lakers have LEBron, and the selling point if being in LA- and they come away with Frank Vogel.

It might not be a bad decision but its just a terribly underwhelming decision.

I am sure Vogel will be okay- but i dont even know if its an improvement over Walton to be honest. Do LeBron and Vogel have some kind of relationship?

if thinks get tough is the front office going to go behind Vogel's back to Jason Kidd for some dirt?

Just a very very weird setup and process.

Monty Williams or Ty Lue would both have made a lot more sense if you ask me. Now they hired a 2nd tier coach before ever hiring a President of Basketball Ops....

dont you usally bring in a TEam President that hires the coach or at least has some input on that?

What kind of credible Team President is going to walk into a situation where they cant bring in their guy?

very very weird stuff

I even kind of like Vogel...I think he is a decent NBA coach- but Williams and Lue were both better candidates and they hired the coach before the President which is ass-backwards and I dont think Vogel- who coached the PAcers and Magic- and how he operates as kind of a disciplinarian, tough guy is a good fit with LeBron.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you are fired by the Magic, and the Magic go on to win 17 more games...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.........

The Lakers have LEBron, and the selling point if being in LA- and they come away with Frank Vogel.

It might not be a bad decision but its just a terribly underwhelming decision.

I am sure Vogel will be okay- but i dont even know if its an improvement over Walton to be honest. Do LeBron and Vogel have some kind of relationship?

if thinks get tough is the front office going to go behind Vogel's back to Jason Kidd for some dirt?

Just a very very weird setup and process.

Monty Williams or Ty Lue would both have made a lot more sense if you ask me. Now they hired a 2nd tier coach before ever hiring a President of Basketball Ops....

dont you usally bring in a TEam President that hires the coach or at least has some input on that?

What kind of credible Team President is going to walk into a situation where they cant bring in their guy?

very very weird stuff

I even kind of like Vogel...I think he is a decent NBA coach- but Williams and Lue were both better candidates and they hired the coach before the President which is ass-backwards and I dont think Vogel- who coached the PAcers and Magic- and how he operates as kind of a disciplinarian, tough guy is a good fit with LeBron.

It's not weird. It all makes sense when you realize Linda Rambis is the President of Basketball Operations.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Kidd selected by Vogel or did the lakers force kidd on him?

Kidd looks to have been forced on Vogel.

Why don't the Lakers just make Kidd the HC then? He's eventually going to be the head coach when you backdoors his way into the gig.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said MAgic is smart- as a business man and leveraging his brand

but as for cap management, scouting, grinding, putting the hours in, strategy- hes pretty fucking bad.

Really he has no business being a GM in a league where you have guys like Morey and Presti etc. that are just so so much smarter then him and put in so many more hours and understand how transactions work, the cap, scouting soo sooo much better

Magic is a guy you want shaking hands and kissing babies--- you dont want him ANYWHERE near the process of actually rolling up his sleeves and making the product.

Really don't understand how anyone can't comprehend this.

But you know someone's going to try and refute this citing Magic's basketball intelligence (on the court) thinking it translates as an executive.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not weird. It all makes sense when you realize Linda Rambis is the President of Basketball Operations.

It's bad when I'm infuriated about how the Lakers are ran, and I'm not even a Lakers fan.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for Lue, probably. At least that's the likely narrative because of the way that he became a head coach.

For all any of us know, he may be a very good coach. However, the fact that he appeared to be handpicked by Lebron and was fired 6 games into the season after Lebron left, just feeds the narrative that he was a Lebron puppet.

The Lakers sure as hell didn't help that perception when they offered him a contract that was set to end at the same time as Lebron's.

Unless and until he gets an opportunity to be a head coach for a team without Lebron and has success, he'll always be looked at as someone who's only success was because of Lebron.

But give Lue some credit. He ended up making me eat crow for saying he is a Lebron doormat. He may have been one in the past but now .... not so much.

He did is legacy a big favor by turning this offer down even if the Lakers end up winning a championship with Lebron. If that did happen people will say that he made a big mistake, but those same people would not give him a single ounce of credit if he did take the job and won a championship.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jason Kidd as an assistant.

So dumb. If they like Kidd that fucking much, just hire him to be the HC. You're creating a problem by insisting he be on the staff, especially given Kidd's track record of shady behavior

Yeah, the idea is likely for him to work with Lonzo, which I actually agree with.

The problem is, as you mentioned, some shady type behavior. I wouldn't put it past him to try to undermine Vogel to get the HC job for himself.

Hopefully, he has learned from his past and will just be the assistant and work with Lonzo. But I'm not holding my breath.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The news media knows many things, but they dont know everything and they dont know what's happening behind those closed doors. They could be wrong. We really won't know until after free agency has hit

There are far too many reports from too many different people for there to be nothing to it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But give Lue some credit. He ended up making me eat crow for saying he is a Lebron doormat. He may have been one in the past but now .... not so much.

He did is legacy a big favor by turning this offer down even if the Lakers end up winning a championship with Lebron. If that did happen people will say that he made a big mistake, but those same people would not give him a single ounce of credit if he did take the job and won a championship.

Agree. He had apparently agreed to having Jason Kidd on his staff, which would have been fine since that was apparently a Lakers stipulation, not one from Lebron. But balked at only getting 3 years.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about that.

The talent on the Lakers is better than what he had with the Magic.

Kidd wasn't forced on Vogel to be the assistant for very long.

He will have to do an amazing job to keep Kidd from being the head coach in the next 2-3 years.

Not sure why any coach would allow that.

A bad start, an early playoffs exit, or etc and the Lakers will have no problem getting rid of him and promoting Kidd.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kidd wasn't forced on Vogel to be the assistant for very long.

He will have to do an amazing job to keep Kidd from being the head coach in the next 2-3 years.

Not sure why any coach would allow that.

A bad start, an early playoffs exit, or etc and the Lakers will have no problem getting rid of him and promoting Kidd.

And why would it be impossible for him to do a good to amazing job when he did a pretty good job in Indiana?

He's not a flashy hire, but he's a pretty good coach when he has talent to coach.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best part about the NBA right now is the fact that the Lakers are completely dysfunctional

giphy.gif