• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KOVY RETURNING TO NJ/DEVILS (UPDATED)

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also I just thought with the buyouts happening this summer why would they only taget Kovy. Why wouldn't the russians also target malkin and ovie. Making the pens and caps the same type of offers? This is going to be their only chances to get these players in the next 10 years without the nhl club having the cap hits on their books

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineback. Thats what my worry is too.

The russian club gives the money to cover the buyout and gives beek $20 million as incentive to do it? Would beek turn that kind of "free money" down? That's not a bad return since it only cost him $3 million to sign him and how much salary $12? So far.

That's a real possibility if its even legal? But then again beek seems like a legit "fan owner" would also realize that there would be a huge fan backlash and would need to spend in the off season which there is a lot of ufa next summer

I think now that he's sole owner, he can't afford to put a shitty product out ans "sell" his best player without making a serious splash in UFA market, which offers no guarantee anyone will sign with you to replace him. He may make 20 mil short term, but could stand to lose far more if team went in tank and had no star power to draw on.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've got to be honest with you, if the NHL can find an imaginary "cap circumvention" conviction on his contract, we'll be absolutely annihilated by the league if they do that. There's zero chance that they'll even let a precedent be established where the KHL can come in and buy out NHL superstars. Gary won't let that happen in a million years.

JVB isn't going to trade the only marketable asset on this team under 35.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well it would only be for this summer they could do this.

its really unlikely they will but unless there is language in the cba against it i dont see why they couldnt try to do it.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was no language against front loaded contracts either. The NHL still fined us $5M.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You never know they could've issued a statment behind closed doors saying it wouldnt be allowed anymore and the devils challenged them

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It wasn't even behind closed doors. The league publicly stated that front loaded contracts were no longer going to be tolerated. JVB signed Kovy ignoring that based off the approvals of all the other contracts that came before it.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't find an article after Kovy's deal was axed I remember all the analysts talking about how the Luongo and Hossa contracts barely cleared and that the league told GMs this was no longer going to be tolerated. Lou obviously knew it too since he spoke out against it.