• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keith Law's New Top 50

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the only Mariner in the top 50 is...............

43. Alex Jackson, OF | Seattle Mariners

sea.gif

Preseason Ranking: N/A
The Mariners took Jackson with the sixth overall pick this June, gave him an above-slot bonus, and immediately took away the catcher's gear that made up a significant part of his value, because he received fine and threw very well. He's still a very good prospect as a hitter, however, with huge rotational power and good hand-eye coordination. He has the arm to handle right field but is somewhat thick-bodied and may end up in left if he gets any slower. If he starts next year in low-A, he could see the Mariners' lineup by mid-2017.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what I said. I looked like 4 times to see if I misses it and I did not. I thought he would be around #15. Odd.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it that Peterson is reported 2nd most coveted prospect in every deal (outside of Walker) yet a prospect who hasn't faced a single major league caliber pitcher is considered top 50?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it that Peterson is reported 2nd most coveted prospect in every deal (outside of Walker) yet a prospect who hasn't faced a single major league caliber pitcher is considered top 50?

Doesn't make sense to me either. During Peterson's time in the minor leagues, he has demonstrated that he does just about everything well. Gets on base at a good clip, hits for average and power.

In 139 minor league games here is Peterson's line: 35 HR 131 RBIs .316/.373/.580 177 hits 39 doubles.

With all due respect to James Paxton, I think there is no doubt that D.J. Peterson is the second best prospect in the Mariners system. I think he has an extremely bright future and should be considered a top 10-20 prospect in MLB. Judging by how much interest that Peterson has garnered in trade talks, and how the Mariners have stated they're not trading him, that shows strong evidence as to why we all believe he is so good.

With Kyle Seager having developed into an All-Star, I hope that they move Peterson to 1B. The Mariners have absolutely nothing at 1B in their organization aside from Jin-Man Choi.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm open to trading Walker in the right deal, but there is absolutely no way I would trade Peterson and Walker in the same deal.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even for Stanton.

Saw somethin on the main board. Stanton leads the league in 450 ft plus home runs......,compared to every other TEAM not just players

Him first, sanfran second etc.

Yes even for stanton!

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even for Stanton.

Quite honestly id rather trade peterson then walker, though other teams prob want walker more. I dont trust this org to produce an offensive player...,,,his name may say peterson but i just see ackley, smoak, montero, saunders, clement, franklin, balentien, miller, etc....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite honestly id rather trade peterson then walker, though other teams prob want walker more. I dont trust this org to produce an offensive player...,,,his name may say peterson but i just see ackley, smoak, montero, saunders, clement, franklin, balentien, miller, etc....

The track record isn't great, but the team can't get reliable veterans to hit here consistently, so getting rid of a possible bat before knowing what you have is a little much. Really, it's more Stanton I have the issue with. He isn't consistent enough, and we've all seen power hitters struggle in Seattle. Stanton coming to Safeco wit h his high strikeout rate and inconsistent bat, I feel we'd have the RF version of Russell Branyan at the plate. I'm scared of Stanton for the same reasons I was scared of Justin Upton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be the first person in history to compare Stanton to Branyan.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The track record isn't great, but the team can't get reliable veterans to hit here consistently, so getting rid of a possible bat before knowing what you have is a little much. Really, it's more Stanton I have the issue with. He isn't consistent enough, and we've all seen power hitters struggle in Seattle. Stanton coming to Safeco wit h his high strikeout rate and inconsistent bat, I feel we'd have the RF version of Russell Branyan at the plate. I'm scared of Stanton for the same reasons I was scared of Justin Upton.

I don't agree with that. Stanton is much better than Sexson and Richie had no problem hitting bombs at Safeco. Beltre's power never really went anywhere, since leaving Seattle he has reverted back to what made him successful in LA, and that is going the other way.

I'd do Walker, DJ, Paxton and Guerrero for Stanton without thinking twice.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker, Paxton. Guerrero, Franklin/Ackley/Smoak (1 of 3) yes. I still say Peterson is a keeper.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with that. Stanton is much better than Sexson and Richie had no problem hitting bombs at Safeco. Beltre's power never really went anywhere, since leaving Seattle he has reverted back to what made him successful in LA, and that is going the other way.

I'd do Walker, DJ, Paxton and Guerrero for Stanton without thinking twice.

If you're advocating for trading the top 3 prospects for a guy who could potentially hit .250 with 30 HR a season, then I'd be a little leary. Besides, Stanton hits over .300 at home since the Marlins moved to Marlins Park, which is much more hitter friendly than Safeco and that's 60 points higher than he hits on the road. I think the M's would be very lucky if he was able to put of 2005 Sexson numbers in Safeco, but I fear 2007-08.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker, Paxton. Guerrero, Franklin/Ackley/Smoak (1 of 3) yes. I still say Peterson is a keeper.

I meant Peterson or Guerrero, I'm guessing if they had their choice it would be Guerrero.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're advocating for trading the top 3 prospects for a guy who could potentially hit .250 with 30 HR a season, then I'd be a little leary. Besides, Stanton hits over .300 at home since the Marlins moved to Marlins Park, which is much more hitter friendly than Safeco and that's 60 points higher than he hits on the road. I think the M's would be very lucky if he was able to put of 2005 Sexson numbers in Safeco, but I fear 2007-08.

You can't be afraid of dealing for a top talent like Stanton because fear. Why hold onto any of the prospects? Outside of Seager, who have the Mariners actually developed. Paxton has looked good so far, but he was dominant in the minors then became average also. Peterson has alot of raw talent, but there is no guaranteeing anything with him with his position move. Lloyd hates Walker, so it's not like they are giving up any sure thing. Yes, it has sucked being a M's fan and seeing all these other guys go to other teams and become successful but the Mariners have never received a talent like Stanton in return.

Stanton would bring instant power and put fear into pitchers and managers. He would protect Cano and could drop Seager to 5. Stanton's 450 power is going to go out regardless of a hitter friendly or pitcher friendly park.

You also can't be leary of Richie's dropoff. His body just broke down, which most Sexson haters seem to forget. Can't imagine a mid 20's guy's body breaking down and his hand eye coordination just going to shit.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL Stanton is a bonafied superstar. ".250 30 homer guy" like thats a bad thing???