• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

July 15th Hypetrain

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rand Getlin is reporting that the Chiefs are unlikely to make a deal in the next two days. Probably just as likely to be astroturf from Berry's agent as it is the truth, but we'll have to wait and see to find out. What I will say is if they plan on letting go of Berry for the 2017 season- that money better net the Chiefs something worth the blood, sweat, and tears.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that being the same thing reported about DT and Bryant last year before a deal got done last minute. Both sides seem to try and use the press to get something done at this point or at least get fans on their side. Usually though something still gets done that has everybody in the media going "I can't believe they got something done!" And all I can think is "Really??? I mean this happens every year but yet somehow you are surprised?"

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that being the same thing reported about DT and Bryant last year before a deal got done last minute. Both sides seem to try and use the press to get something done at this point or at least get fans on their side. Usually though something still gets done that has everybody in the media going "I can't believe they got something done!" And all I can think is "Really??? I mean this happens every year but yet somehow you are surprised?"
I am halfway convinced some of these talking heads don't actually know much about what they're reporting on sometimes and are easy suckers for agents and the like- especially locally.

Just a few days ago I flip on the radio and Ned Yost (same principle even if its baseball) happens to be on there discussing the future's game. A listener then apparently asked if the Royals having two players (Jorge Bonifacio and Hunter Dozier) in the future's game is indicative of the farm still being strong (it's not at all) and of course Ned gives some GM/Manager speak where everything is rainbows and sunshine; the company line. Now me listening to this wants to slap the listener in the face saying "Every team gets one, and the maximum is two, which many, many teams have." What really got under my craw is the hosts seemed totally oblivious to this. I thought maybe I was going crazy at first and then a couple of days later I log into Royalsreview to brush up on some of the minors news and I see a commenter who notices the same thing. The real kicker is neither of those prospects I mentioned are top 100 guys (though Dozier might re-enter it if he keeps hitting well over 300 with power until September) so it's a double whammy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am halfway convinced some of these talking heads don't actually know much about what they're reporting on sometimes and are easy suckers for agents and the like- especially locally.

Just a few days ago I flip on the radio and Ned Yost (same principle even if its baseball) happens to be on there discussing the future's game. A listener then apparently asked if the Royals having two players (Jorge Bonifacio and Hunter Dozier) in the future's game is indicative of the farm still being strong (it's not at all) and of course Ned gives some GM/Manager speak where everything is rainbows and sunshine; the company line. Now me listening to this wants to slap the listener in the face saying "Every team gets one, and the maximum is two, which many, many teams have." What really got under my craw is the hosts seemed totally oblivious to this. I thought maybe I was going crazy at first and then a couple of days later I log into Royalsreview to brush up on some of the minors news and I see a commenter who notices the same thing. The real kicker is neither of those prospects I mentioned are top 100 guys (though Dozier might re-enter it if he keeps hitting well over 300 with power until September) so it's a double whammy.

Honestly I have found some fan ran sites to be the best place to get actual information and some of the deeper knowledge of the game. I'm not sure why the major media people seem so lost on how things function in the NFL and how the game is actually played but it really has dumbed down the game a lot. Heck I can't stand watching NFL.com half the time because it is them having a top-5 dances of the weekend or some stupid section like that. I get trying to keep things fun but it seems like in an hour long show you might get 5 minutes of actual football conversation that makes me go wow that was good. The rest is just fluff that I just have to turn off.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per a league source, that’s the issue keeping the Chiefs and safety Eric Berry from negotiating a multi-year contract. With a fully-guaranteed salary of $10.8 million for 2016, Berry would be entitled to $12.96 million under the tag in 2017. That’s $23.76 fully-guaranteed at signing over the first two years at a minimum for Berry, who won an ESPY last night as the best comeback player in sports following his bout with cancer in late 2014 and early 2015.

Uh, ok, Eric. Better be careful about playing a texas-twostep with someone who has flippantly dumped FT players before such as Brandon Albert. But anyways, I'd really think somewhere in the 11M range would be where this deal could get done.

For reference:

Earl Thomas received a 7.5% cap contract relative to the year it was signed. That's about 10M AAV. 35% guaranteed.

An equivalent contract would be 11,645,250 per year with a ~58.23M total. 35% guaranteed over 5 years. 35% guaranteed would be ~20.38M. Basically, if the report is correct, Berry's camp is threatening it's willing to go through a SECOND franchise tag to ensure they get the guaranteed money, and upfront. To me, this screams a bluff given the transient nature of NFL careers. Berry has a contact-ACL injury, and cancer on his history in the NFL.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still no deal tonight. Tomorrow should be tons of fun for the people philisophically for or against paying top safeties more than x value.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rand Getlin is reporting that the Chiefs are unlikely to make a deal in the next two days. Probably just as likely to be astroturf from Berry's agent as it is the truth, but we'll have to wait and see to find out. What I will say is if they plan on letting go of Berry for the 2017 season- that money better net the Chiefs something worth the blood, sweat, and tears.
The Chiefs actually have one of the more predictable front offices as far as I can tell based mostly around wanting to dump their resources in high positional value players. I think this is why they've been involved in QB rumors a couple of times in rd1.

IIRC, the positional value pyramid is something like:

QB
LT, NT, #1WR, #1CB
Everything else
RB, TE

There might be more to it than that but Berry being possibly injury prone and KC probably thinks that a lot of the secondary is pretty interchangeable after the outside CBs makes this a tough deal.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs actually have one of the more predictable front offices as far as I can tell based mostly around wanting to dump their resources in high positional value players. I think this is why they've been involved in QB rumors a couple of times in rd1.

IIRC, the positional value pyramid is something like:

QB
LT, NT, #1WR, #1CB
Everything else
RB, TE

There might be more to it than that but Berry being possibly injury prone and KC probably thinks that a lot of the secondary is pretty interchangeable after the outside CBs makes this a tough deal.
That's true. I was kind of under the persuasion Berry's versatility might make him more appealing to some in the FO than the typical safety, but apparently I thought too much of the franchise tag being put down. This will certainly make for a very intriguing situation need offseason if nothing else.