• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Clayton: 10 things considered after mini camp.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got this in an email from ESPN. this is a copy and paste.
clemons-620.jpgChris Clemons still has the quickness to benefit the Seahawks' pass-rush game, John Clayton writes. (AP)
Minicamps concluded around the league for NFL teams and the summer has begun.

The Seahawks, like the other 31 teams, have six weeks to regroup and relax before the start of training camp toward the end of July. For the Seahawks, it was an impressive offseason of work. While the veteran leaders mature, the overall roster looks younger and more competitive.

Here are 10 things to consider coming out of the minicamp:

1. Russell Wilson couldn’t be better. Pete Carroll says it takes quarterbacks five to six years to become great. Wilson hit that mark late last season and only looks better. His throws are crisper. His decisions are faster and better. I remember going to Rams training camp back when Kurt Warner was the quarterback. For the Greatest Show on Turf, Warner never let the ball hit the ground during a practice because his passes always hit the mark. Whether it’s throwing deep or rolling out to hit a target, Wilson is achieving the same level of play. Carroll said the improvement last year had to do with the improved rhythm of the offense. This spring, Wilson is in as much rhythm as the music played during practices.

Related: Times are changing, and so is the Seahawks’ Legion of Boom

2. The team is healthy. In fact, the medical report is better than expected. Carroll said Thursday that Jimmy Graham, coming off a tricky torn patella tear, is ahead of Thomas Rawls, who is coming off a broken ankle. While the Seahawks won’t rush either player, the announcement that Graham is ahead of Rawls shows both should be ready for the start of the regular season and might get some time in training camp. Rawls doesn’t need to push his recovery until the final preseason game, when he needs to see action. Graham is running, catching passes and doesn’t even have a sleeve on the surgically repaired knee.

3. Trevone Boykin is starting to look like the backup quarterback. In fact, he finished minicamp on such a high note the Seahawks might not re-sign Tarvaris Jackson. To be a backup in the Seahawks offense, Boykin checks off all the boxes. He’s a great runner. He makes fast decisions. His arm strength is excellent and he can throw completions even when the window to a pass-catcher is small. Plus, he shows good leadership in the huddle, which is amazing for a quarterback who was in an Air Raid offense and didn’t have much experience running huddles. The Seahawks probably had a fifth-round grade on him, but he’s already looking better than that.

4. Cassius Marsh and Eric Pinkins are the sleepers in the starting strongside linebacker derby. Mike Morgan came out of the minicamp as the No. 1 starter in the base 4-3 defense, but Marsh and Pinkins are fitting in well enough they should be in the mix to get playing time. Marsh brings pass-rush. Pinkins, a former safety, brings coverage.

5. As long as Tharold Simon stays healthy – and he is – he will be an outside cornerback when the team uses three corners. Jeremy Lane and Richard Sherman are the starters. Simon leads a talented group of outside corners, a group that has size, great arm length and tenacity. The coaches have been hoping Simon would come on for the past two years and now he’s starting to respond.

6. Justin Britt has made strides at center. At first, Britt didn’t look like a good fit at center. Tom Cable moved him there because he considers him one of the five best players on the line. But he opened camp looking as if he wasn’t a fit. His first positive step was his brains and knowledge of the game. He does the first things centers need to go – get the linemen in the right places. His long arms are a big aid in pass blocking. The competition is a good one between Britt, Patrick Lewis and rookie Joey Hunt, but Britt will enter training camp with a shot to be the starter.

7. The battle for the final receiving spot should be interesting. Kenny Lawler, the seventh-round choice, catches the ball so well he might have an edge. But Kasen Williams has made the biggest jump of just about any player on the team from where he was last year.

8. Chris Clemons’ quickness justified his return. Showing up at the VMAC for minicamp for this first time since rejoining the team, Clemons showed great pass-rushing quickness coming around tackles. Clemons is 250 pounds but he looks leaner and quicker. His only problem in Jacksonville was being on a bad team.

9. The steal of the draft was tight end Nick Vannett, the team’s third-round pick.Coming out of Ohio State, everyone knew he could block. That was his strength. But he’s a much better pass-catcher than anyone would have guessed. The Seahawks are three-deep at tight end.

10. Defensive end Frank Clark should be the breakout player on defense. He’s explosive. Against man blocking, he is a monster. Plus, the veterans on the line respect his skills and hard work.

Get ready kids. I think we are going to have a stellar year.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got this in an email from ESPN. this is a copy and paste.
View attachment 128899

1. Russell Wilson couldn’t be better. Pete Carroll says it takes quarterbacks five to six years to become great. Wilson hit that mark late last season and only looks better. His throws are crisper. His decisions are faster and better. I remember going to Rams training camp back when Kurt Warner was the quarterback. For the Greatest Show on Turf, Warner never let the ball hit the ground during a practice because his passes always hit the mark. Whether it’s throwing deep or rolling out to hit a target, Wilson is achieving the same level of play. Carroll said the improvement last year had to do with the improved rhythm of the offense. This spring, Wilson is in as much rhythm as the music played during practices.

2. The team is healthy. In fact, the medical report is better than expected. Carroll said Thursday that Jimmy Graham, coming off a tricky torn patella tear, is ahead of Thomas Rawls, who is coming off a broken ankle. While the Seahawks won’t rush either player, the announcement that Graham is ahead of Rawls shows both should be ready for the start of the regular season and might get some time in training camp. Rawls doesn’t need to push his recovery until the final preseason game, when he needs to see action. Graham is running, catching passes and doesn’t even have a sleeve on the surgically repaired knee.

6. Justin Britt has made strides at center. At first, Britt didn’t look like a good fit at center. Tom Cable moved him there because he considers him one of the five best players on the line. But he opened camp looking as if he wasn’t a fit. His first positive step was his brains and knowledge of the game. He does the first things centers need to go – get the linemen in the right places. His long arms are a big aid in pass blocking. The competition is a good one between Britt, Patrick Lewis and rookie Joey Hunt, but Britt will enter training camp with a shot to be the starter.

10. Defensive end Frank Clark should be the breakout player on defense. He’s explosive. Against man blocking, he is a monster. Plus, the veterans on the line respect his skills and hard work.

For me these are the most important areas that I will be watching during preseason and I really hope Britt or someone is able to get the line figure out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got high hopes, sure most of do. Concerned about Rawls, think he's important to have back at 100%, Graham.....don't actually have much confidence he'll be the same player after that type of injury. The good news is the rookie TE may fit like a glove to this offense.

Pretty sure the Defense will be better then last year. Reed should be a upgrade and some of the returning injuried should really help, as long as health is OK.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me watching Russell Wilson play is worth the price of admission so I'm most excited to see if he begins this season at the level of play we saw for the last half of last season. If he does, it'll be an MVP type year for him.

Sorta surprised to see nothing mentioned about Browner by Clayton. Not sure if that's "good news, bad news, or no news."

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it all works out. I'm always a bit pessimistic about these articles since you're rarely going to write to offer feedback to reporting agencies as: "The team is complete crap. The line is a mess, Rawls is progressing slowly, everyone sucks!" Seems these articles always paint every team as a playoff contender, and of course why would the FO do anything but?

I will say I'm excited to see:

Tharold Simon: Was VERY high on this kid when we drafted him. Just can't stay healthy....
Frank Clark: Loved the pick. Pass rushing and D-Line is one of those positions that's hard to dominate in your first year unless you're just a FREAK player. With CBA rules and less options in training camp (contact, certain rules/limitations, etc.) it limits quick development these days of key positions.
Vannett: Huge TE targets are huge TE targets. If Vannett has hands there's zero reason he shouldn't be a threat. It's all dependent on his route running and hands. His blocking was fine and technique was sound coming out of college so he'll have a place regardless. I'm not EXPECTING his hands/routes to be amazing because that's not what he was scouted for, BUT if it is, YES PLEASE!

I'm terrified to see:

Justin Britt: Well that's great Cable... I'm glad you think he looks good. Easy in camp, let's see him do all this crap against Aaron Donald and the blitz happy Cards.
Graham/Rawls: Of course they're 'ahead of schedule.' That's all until they are benched for the first 4 weeks of the season and come out sluggish. I hear this EVERY year. "*insert player* is ahead of schedule in rehab!" About the only player in recent memory I can think of is AP where that held true and we saw on field production (Yes I'm sure there's others... just saying who I personally recall).
SLB: Irvin played very well. Marsh at LBer? Okay...... Sure... we don't play the Linebacker group as a blitzing package. We put them in coverage and rely on VERY solid assignment/zone understanding. Not saying Marsh can't learn that, but....
General Interior Pass Rush: Bennett/Avril are beasts, but it was obvious interior pass rush was an issue last year when Cam just stepped up and had 6 seconds to deliver a ball. Reed is a run stuffing DT but he wasn't ASKED to pass rush in college. Maybe he can step up? Hill seems to be our only true pass rush DT threat but he was 'okay' at best last year.

As always, the usual big message with a playoff returning team is... HEALTH!

Last edited: