• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Buss Interview

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driving home today I heard a lengthy interview with Jim Buss on The Petros and Money Show!! Fred Roggin was filling in for Petros and Money and he conducted a great interview!!

Some highlights:

On the 2014/15 Free Agent Market: The Lakers knew that they were going to be in this situation 3 years ago and have been planning for it!! Hence, the fact that only Nash will be under contract after this season. He said the goal all along has been to have cap space to re-load via free agency in 2014/15 and if they can't get who they want, they will save space for 2015/16!!

On D'Antoni: He feels that D'Antoni hasn't gotten a fair shake!! Last years team was put together with the idea that Mike Brown would be the coach!! When Brown got fired, D'Antoni was hired with more of an eye on the future!! The intent has been to get younger, more athletic and play a more up tempo style!!

On the upcoming season: He thinks that the Lakers will surprise folks!! He says they have gotten players who are more suited to D'Antoni's offense!!

On who's in charge: He runs basketball operations and Jeannie runs the business operations!! If the 2 sides co-mingle in a way where there is a disagreement. Jeannie has the final say!!

On his own qualifications: He has been working alongside Jerry West (initially) and Mitch Kupchak for approximately 15 years!! He feels he has learned a lot!! He feels that some of the issue that folks have with him is that he prefers to work privately!! Meaning he doesn't like being on t.v., talking to the media, etc. He said he is going to try and do a better job of being more public and letting fans know the "why" behind certain things!! He also said that he can't be going to the media all of the time and explaining every little thing!!

He also touched a little on what has gone on re: the Lakers looking disorganized etc. He said that the passing of Dr. Buss caught everyone by surprise, including the doctors!! Apparently it wasn't a long illness. Dr. Buss fell ill and passed rather quickly. The shock of it kind of threw everyone for a loop!! Even though he wasn't there on a daily basis anymore, he was still in charge!!

All in all, I thought it was a good interview and made me feel a little better about him. For now, I will stop calling him Short Buss!! But reserve the right to resume if he proves to be full of crap!!

What do you think fellow Lakers fans?

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TJF12. You have more graces than I. Until he puts together a good team like his father and starts dominating the league and maybe wins it all, he will always be Short Buss to me.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TJF12. You have more graces than I. Until he puts together a good team like his father and starts dominating the league and maybe wins it all, he will always be Short Buss to me.

I'm a bit of an optimist!!:lol: He could be full of crap, but I found it encouraging that he at least had the intelligence to say the right things!! I agree though, the proof will ultimately come over the next 2-3 seasons when we see what kind of a team he puts together!!

The most encouraging part for me was when he said that the Lakers have known this was coming for 3 years and have been preparing for it!! I think many of us were under the impression that they were caught off-guard!! It appears that may not have been the case!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right TJF12 but if that was the case, some of his decisions belie any sense as we have explored ad nauseum on these threads for quite some time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like Retro i'm reserving judgement...

Been wondering when you were going to chime in!! Where ya been? Chiefs board?

My approach is also "wait and see", but it's an optimistic wait and see!! As I said earlier, at least he was smart enough to say the right things, which hasn't always been the case!!

Perhaps being around the likes of his Dad before he passed, Jerry West, Mitch, Phil and Jeannie has started to have an effect and he is learning stuff (even if accidentally)!! We'll see what happens over the next couple of seasons!!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been wondering when you were going to chime in!! Where ya been? Chiefs board?

My approach is also "wait and see", but it's an optimistic wait and see!! As I said earlier, at least he was smart enough to say the right things, which hasn't always been the case!!

Perhaps being around the likes of his Dad before he passed, Jerry West, Mitch, Phil and Jeannie has started to have an effect and he is learning stuff (even if accidentally)!! We'll see what happens over the next couple of seasons!!

been busy with a LOTTA stuff lately(anniversary, birthdays, biz and the like), so i haven't been posting as much as usual. course SOME folks around here might view that as a good thing...:lol:

in any case, i see where you're coming from with some of the optimism. but imo short Buss, putting it shortLY, has kinda started out with a minus in a matter of speaking. now if he DOES manage to pull this franchise out of it's mini dark age, then ok, i'll quickly forget about the past. i will say it is nice to see the team get younger and more athletic. hoping some of these guys turn out to be diamonds in the rough...

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the camp of waiting and seeing. I started to lose respect for Jim Buss when they did Brian Shaw the way they did, amongst MANY other things. Nevertheless I was always and still am in the camp of tanking for Wiggings this year, but since they are not, I'm ready to see how good we can be. A youth movement has been long overdue so I'm ready to see how that works out. I'm not expecting much, but maybe we can slip into the playoffs. I think the ceiling is the 2nd round right now.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you again Kold. It must be that time of year again. Camp and preseason just a few short days away and I really am excited about all of the young guys. If we have a team that gels and Don'tknowi gets out of the way and Rambis gets their ears on the D-side of things, we may just have something and then I might let Short Buss off the hook just a little.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here Retro....I can guarantee one thing, it'll be interesting year that's for sure