• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylen Brown is good but NOT that good!!!

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if they didn't want to trade him or couldn't trade him for the value they think is fair...it was a move they had to make...
^ This

There was no alternative like "resigning Brown to a value deal".

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro sports salaries are insane.

Brown got more money than Jokic. Just crazy.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics be like...

poker-all-in.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have enough prices to contend right now.

Just their window won’t last much longer.

They had the pieces this year and look what happened. They can't come together as a team when it truly matters

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he cut a check to those writers who basically committed fraud to get him on the list

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have enough prices to contend right now.

Just their window won’t last much longer.

2 years

When brog and al expire they got no way to replace either unless they get picks frozen and dumped to the back of round 1

This awful cba is going to kill the mle

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case people don’t know….not a single penny of this contract is negotiated.

You either sign him to a supermax contract where he gets a percentage of the cap…..or you don’t sign him. They literally could not offer him a 5 year $290M contract to save a little each year. That’s not how it works.

The CBA literally defines his value. There isnt anything in the other major sports like this. Maybe the franchise tag in football but not really.

And the other funny thing about it..... if the CBA didnt define his value and let the "market" set his value, he would undoubtedly sign an even larger contract that this. Players that make the All NBA team are worth WAY more than 35% of the cap. A guy like Joker or Embid on the open market would easily find a deal where they are making 60% of the cap. And that would trickle down to a guy like Brown who is elite but not quite that level of elite.

Boston will be just fine moving forward with this deal. That is the reason they brought in Prozingas too. At this point the NBA is really just about shuffling the top 5 contracts on your roster and building the bench with near vet mins and rookies.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case people don’t know….not a single penny of this contract is negotiated.

You either sign him to a supermax contract where he gets a percentage of the cap…..or you don’t sign him. They literally could not offer him a 5 year $290M contract to save a little each year. That’s not how it works.

The CBA literally defines his value. There isnt anything in the other major sports like this. Maybe the franchise tag in football but not really.

And the other funny thing about it..... if the CBA didnt define his value and let the "market" set his value, he would undoubtedly sign an even larger contract that this. Players that make the All NBA team are worth WAY more than 35% of the cap. A guy like Joker or Embid on the open market would easily find a deal where they are making 60% of the cap. And that would trickle down to a guy like Brown who is elite but not quite that level of elite.

Boston will be just fine moving forward with this deal. That is the reason they brought in Prozingas too. At this point the NBA is really just about shuffling the top 5 contracts on your roster and building the bench with near vet mins and rookies.
The problem is in today's NBA it is going to be more difficult than ever to win with just a below average bench. We have seen it for years now. The Celtics window is still there but it will shrink because of this huge contract.
Denver won with stars and very good bench.
Warriors won with stars, a good bench and some young players mixed in.
Milwaukee won with stars and very good depth.

Let me know when a team wins it all with near vet minimum guys being the 7, 8 and 9 guys. That being said, the Celtics will be fine for the next couple years and Stevens has made some great moves to take in account this Brown contract for that time period.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The best of the best get hurt by the max

Joker and Embiid would earn 60% if they wanted to.

Brown would actually get significantly less if not for maxes though.

And you are not correct either. Yes, the value of the supermax is decided by the CBA.

The Celtics were not required to offer him a supermax. They could have offered less.

But that would have probably hurt the relationship with the player considerably.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This money is crazy. I get this is the way it works now, but I'm still stuck in the 80s/90s mindset.

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous when Larry Bird made like $7m in the early 90s. Then Jordan making $30m was just plain unbelievable.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best of the best get hurt by the max

Joker and Embiid would earn 60% if they wanted to.

Brown would actually get significantly less if not for maxes though.

And you are not correct either. Yes, the value of the supermax is decided by the CBA.

The Celtics were not required to offer him a supermax. They could have offered less.

But that would have probably hurt the relationship with the player considerably.
Unless they win a title, and right now, obviously they should have just traded Brown. I think that is what history will show.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This money is crazy. I get this is the way it works now, but I'm still stuck in the 80s/90s mindset.

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous when Larry Bird made like $7m in the early 90s. Then Jordan making $30m was just plain unbelievable.

I can remember people freaking out when the Lakers were paying Magic $1 million per year in the mid-80's. Some of it was the length of the contract, but mostly it was the amount.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't MJ make about 93 mil from his contracts while playing?

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats alot of $$$ for a team that struggles to get out of the ECF. And next year will be even worse cause they will need to offer the same deal if not more to Tatum.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Tatum is opting out in 2025 too for his new monster deal.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid cap smoothing