• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jack signed Drew not so much

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Johnson
Question: You were in a different situation last year, when you basically negotiated your own contract. What was that like?

JOHNSON: ;I kiddingly told Drew that I would have done his for free. I enjoyed it. I thought it was easy to do. You just sit down with Kings management. I told them I didnt want to play games with them or anything. Im not doing this `high-low stuff. It was, `Lets be fair, lets get it done, and it was easy to do. I cant imagine not doing one by myself ever again. But everyone is different. Everyone has different needs. Me personally, Ill probably do every contract myself.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helene has stated several times that Meehan is still upset over Kopitar dumping him and is using the talks with Drew to punish the Kings. I doubt a professional agent would do that. If true then Doughty needs to dump this guy as well.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id give you pronger and Carle for Doughty, but the Kings are over their Flyers players quota.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumblings: Latest on talks for Doughty, Suter, Rinne, Kronwall, McCabe and more - Cross Checks Blog - ESPN
Doughty update

There haven't been any talks between the Kings and Drew Doughty's veteran agent, Don Meehan, since the eve of camp. But given owner Tim Leiweke's comments to Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times this week and the urgency behind them, it's our guess the NHL club will likely reach out soon to Newport Sports (Meehan's firm) and try to take one last stab at it.

The Kings don't have a choice to try again. It's a big season for them; they want to contend and they need Doughty to do that.
:wacko:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this thread is done.
Drew 8 year 7.2 a year
Drew got the money he wanted kings got 1 more year than they

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Finally, all sides got what they wanted, a long term deal for the Kings and a good chump change for DD. Now he needs to go out there and prove he is worth $7M a year

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad it is over. My boss is too. He just doesn't know it.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bored and went looking back at some posts. I liked this one:

Finally, all sides got what they wanted, a long term deal for the Kings and a good chump change for DD. Now he needs to go out there and prove he is worth $7M a year

Pretty sure he has. Twice.

=)~~

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant really complain about the outcome for sure. We got what we have always asked for; a good team with staying power. DD is no doubt a huge part of that and worth every penny (arguments of player salaries in general aside)

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant really complain about the outcome for sure. We got what we have always asked for; a good team with staying power. DD is no doubt a huge part of that and worth every penny (arguments of player salaries in general aside)

Looking at what guys like Weber and Suter got, and more recently Subban, Doughty is definitely underpaid. Kings got exceptional value out of this deal but Doughty should break the bank on his next deal.

He will be 29, two Cups minimum, Gold, IMO a Norris will be won in the next 5 years (he's 24 and already been in the league 6 years. Scary) and maybe another Cup in this window for LA so unless his game goes to hell, which I am doubting big time, he will command in excess of $10 million per season (cap hit, probably more in salary).

Hopefully he signs a retirement deal like Brown did and ends his career in LA (8 years/$88 million or something along those lines).

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say DD is "worth" at least 2x or more salary then Subban.....unless Subban was making what I think he is worth, then that number is more like 10x :whistle: