• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ivy League Looks to Move Football to Spring...What now?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll be damned. Who'd have thunk it. Probably better attendance than 10-15 of 921,678 FBS bowls!

Do any other FCS conferences besides the MEAC and SWAC have bowl tie-ins?

I don't think so but I could be wrong

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to the Celebration Bowl, there have been rumours of the Ivy League and Patriot League champs creating a bowl game to face off as well.
Patriot League doesn't participate in the FCS playoff either?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy to say :LOL IVY LEAGUE WHO CARES" buuuuuuut everyone is afraid to be the first one to pull the trigger......this likely just starts a domino effect.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy to say :LOL IVY LEAGUE WHO CARES" buuuuuuut everyone is afraid to be the first one to pull the trigger......this likely just starts a domino effect.

As of right now, this only affects one FBS team. If other FCS conferences start to follow suit, the ramifications on the schedule will be much larger.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do. This would be an alternative.
Wow! That is interesting. Some clamor to get their conference champs at shot in a playoff system and then we have some that say "Piss on a playoff, we'll go the bowl game route."

Didn't Notre Dame refuse to participate in bowl games for years?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! That is interesting. Some clamor to get their conference champs at shot in a playoff system and then we have some that say "Piss on a playoff, we'll go the bowl game route."

Didn't Notre Dame refuse to participate in bowl games for years?

They did not attend a bowl from 1925-1968. Much of the BigTen also did not go to a bowl outside of the Rose.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As of right now, this only affects one FBS team. If other FCS conferences start to follow suit, the ramifications on the schedule will be much larger.

Here's a question that came up back in the spring regarding a conference moving forward with games even if some members are not allowed to play due to their state's regulations. (IIRC it was the PAC 12 at that time.)

Would the SEC still play if states like Florida and Texas lockdown which keeps Florida and A&M from playing?

Just to push his button, I told my aggie neighbor that might happen and he nearly had a heart attack.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question that came up back in the spring regarding a conference moving forward with games even if some members are not allowed to play due to their state's regulations. (IIRC it was the PAC 12 at that time.)

Would the SEC still play if states like Florida and Texas lockdown which keeps Florida and A&M from playing?

Just to push his button, I told my aggie neighbor that might happen and he nearly had a heart attack.

The nightmare scenario is everyone else shutting it down, but the SEC finding a way to play and awarding a national champion......which of course whatever school "wins" it will claim as 100% Legit

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, we joined the same day. You must have been an ESPN survivor as well.

Yep, I was at the ESPN boards starting maybe '97 or so? I also had a brief period at "The Fanatic"? I think that's what it was called.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nightmare scenario is everyone else shutting it down, but the SEC finding a way to play and awarding a national champion......which of course whatever school "wins" it will claim as 100% Legit
But would the SEC play without Forida and Texas A&M? Right now those two, along with Arizona, are knocking it out of the park.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s official now no fall sports in the IVY league

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would the SEC play without Forida and Texas A&M? Right now those two, along with Arizona, are knocking it out of the park.

The Florida governor is a complete tool. Unlikely he would shut football down even if people were dying in droves in his state.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this.....

At this point they might as well just shut it down.......they are basically holding out for some miracle

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many top division schools are cancelling their other sports but maintaining football and basketball...the big money college sports. Of course, this means many of those in baseball, wrestling, soccer, many transfer to lower division schools that are still playing, even though the big schools promised to maintain their scholarship status. In reality, football and basketball are sports that really aren't any safer when it comes to spreading a virus with the possible exception of wrestling. Basketball is indoors and all the players are right next to each other. Baseball...it's an outdoor sport and the players on the field are not that close on average (except the catcher, batter, and umpire), and the dugouts could be spread out (utilize the bullpen or set benches along the right and left field fences like the high schools plan on doing). Of course, the schools could face lawsuits from the players who had their sport eliminated. One could ask if they are cutting the women's sports which do not draw a lot of money, but the schools would probably avoid that so the Title 9 lawsuits wouldn't roll in.