• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Islanders acquire Halak from Caps

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that are eliminated or didn't make the POs can make moves during the POs. Teams still in it cannot except for AHL call ups (Schultz) and things that like that, there are restrictions.

I think it's fair, the non-PO teams can get a head start on becoming competitive, no point holding them back since they weren't able to qualify/stay in the POs. The draft is coming up and Free Agency, gives them some more time to prepare and lay a plan out.

It was pretty obvious the Islanders were going to make a move for a goalie, a little surprised it's Halak though (haven't checked the goalie market but this makes me assume it's weak). He is an average goalie and unless he has a solid defense in front of him - which he will not in NY unless they retool significantly - he won't be able to make too much of a difference.

What they need to do is draft and develop a bonafide goalie (like the Kings did with Bernier) and just go through the growing pains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, I think its a step sideways from an aging Nabby. With the current D it might even be a step backwards since Nabby can make some key saves when the game doesn't matter, im not sure Halak can do that on his own

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halak is average. He had his miracle run in 2010 or whatever but has been nothing short of a choker or pedestrian since.

Props to Montreal for selling way high on that one, they got what they did based on that one playoff season.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that are eliminated or didn't make the POs can make moves during the POs. Teams still in it cannot except for AHL call ups (Schultz) and things that like that, there are restrictions.

I think it's fair, the non-PO teams can get a head start on becoming competitive, no point holding them back since they weren't able to qualify/stay in the POs. The draft is coming up and Free Agency, gives them some more time to prepare and lay a plan out.

It was pretty obvious the Islanders were going to make a move for a goalie, a little surprised it's Halak though (haven't checked the goalie market but this makes me assume it's weak). He is an average goalie and unless he has a solid defense in front of him - which he will not in NY unless they retool significantly - he won't be able to make too much of a difference.

What they need to do is draft and develop a bonafide goalie (like the Kings did with Bernier) and just go through the growing pains.

I don't recall past goalie markets, but this year there are some names out there with Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller. Though I don't see either of them as elite I don't think there have been better goalies in free agency the past couple of years.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller's value took a massive hit, and this is also going to be his last contract most likely (he's 33). Hiller has declined as well, but with the uncertainty with Andersen I can see Anaheim holding onto him 1-2 years to bridge the gap waiting for Gibson to arrive.

Halak is 28 and can still improve, which is the outcome they are hoping for.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think The nucks should offer Miller a 10y 7m deal. They are very good with handling goalies

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I think dishing out that contract was absolutely insane, I will give them credit for making it someone else's problem. It ain't easy to lose a contract of that magnitude.