• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If We Don't 't Take OL With Our First Round Pick Would You Want

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer... when you have half the board and what amounts to the defacto board leader screaming that we need O-line improvement for ten years.....

You could take a RT 1st overall and Bruce allen would likely be crowned greatest Redskins GM of all time at this point.

i dont see an o/lineman worth a top 3-5 pick for us . it would be a reach for us to do that so that would go against my value argument

i have no vested interest in allen at all

my philosophy has been the same for years and i wish you would stop lumping me in with the o/line or bust crowd

take the BPA at a position of need if there is value there dont reach for an o/lineman if there isnt value there but understand we do need some

dallas picked a center who was ranked as a 3rd rounder . he is a pro bowler and will be one again . so whether its an RT or not isnt the issue . the issue is , is the RT on our board worth a 3rd overall pick

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see an o/lineman worth a top 3-5 pick for us . it would be a reach for us to do that so that would go against my value argument

i have no vested interest in allen at all

my philosophy has been the same for years and i wish you would stop lumping me in with the o/line or bust crowd

take the BPA at a position of need if there is value there dont reach for an o/lineman if there isnt value there but understand we do need some

dallas picked a center who was ranked as a 3rd rounder . he is a pro bowler and will be one again . so whether its an RT or not isnt the issue . the issue is , is the RT on our board worth a 3rd overall pick

Skinsdad you might not se an o-lineman worth the pick. But are you going to deny the concept that If we took an O-lineman with our first two picks, the name likely wouldn't matter. Most around here would be over joyed. And its not about being in the Allen camp. If Allen made the move to commit to drafting O-lineman, some fans would line up to kiss his arse at this point.

And lastly BPA at a position of need would scream OT to alot of the posters here... even if that OT wasnt actually worth the top three pick we spent on him. Which again people would proclaim Allen a super star at that point. You do remember there were people willing to take Morgan Moses in the 2nd round after all over ANY other player on the board.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skinsdad you might not se an o-lineman worth the pick. But are you going to deny the concept that If we took an O-lineman with our first two picks, the name likely wouldn't matter. Most around here would be over joyed. And its not about being in the Allen camp. If Allen made the move to commit to drafting O-lineman, some fans would line up to kiss his arse at this point.

And lastly BPA at a position of need would scream OT to alot of the posters here... even if that OT wasnt actually worth the top three pick we spent on him. Which again people would proclaim Allen a super star at that point. You do remember there were people willing to take Morgan Moses in the 2nd round after all over ANY other player on the board.

Well to be fair Shark... I don't think many of us on this board are in the "OL or bust" crowd. I don't think any of us would be absolutely pissed if we did not take an OT in the Top 5. If you are picking in the Top 5, then 9 times out of 10 you have several glaring needs on your club.

Last year alot of us wanted OL with our 1st pick because well... Our OL fucking sucks. It still sucks. And passing on an OL early to roll the dice on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th round project... Well the odds are better if you taking one early if you want an impact player that can play early. That pretty well goes for ANY player.

I am all for BPA at a position if need, but would you say we need another CB or another TE more than a OL or DL... Nah I don't think so, and you don't take that CB if the 2nd coming of Charles Woodson is there.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sparks... have to disagree. Alot of people are or have been on the O-line or bust tip for a while. The running theme (which you just reiterated by the way) has been the o-line sucks and this is what really ails our offense and for the most part the team. I tend to think our line is average to below average, but could be far worse and at times is MADE to lok far worse by the play calling and the guys behind them as well.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree our o-line is the worst in the NFL and I would gladly select Scherff with the 4th or 5th overall pick

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree our o-line is the worst in the NFL and I would gladly select Scherff with the 4th or 5th overall pick

The stats dont agree with that logic of ours being the worst line in the league though. But I agree we should totally sell out for O-line in this draft. Just so that i can finally tell you all to STFU about how we NEVER invest in the O-line. :)

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats dont agree with that logic of ours being the worst line in the league though. But I agree we should totally sell out for O-line in this draft. Just so that i can finally tell you all to STFU about how we NEVER invest in the O-line. :)

the last time we invested in o-line was Trent Williams since then we have picked up scrubs and drafted project offensive linemen who haven't panned out

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the last time we invested in o-line was Trent Williams since then we have picked up scrubs and drafted project offensive linemen who haven't panned out

1-3rd rounders Are not or should not be considered projects. these are guys you expect to make your team and contribute by year three latest. Morgan, Leribeus and Long were ALL drafted in the 3rd round. And i have said it before and I will say it again.. if you need to invest a bunch of HIGH draft picks into simply making your QB look competent.. the QB aint that good to begin with. Yes Dallas invested a ton of resources to make Romo look good. But I am agreeing with you, I hope we sink the first three picks into the O-line... then maybe people will stop bitching on how we have the worst o-line in the cosmos even if the stats over the past 3-5 years dont bear that out.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what Buckwheat (Lil Rascals) is doing when he's smoking weed!!

I have re-introduced myself to the upvote thingy here. I keep forgetting about that.

Back to needs I posted on another board that it's not just the OL. As Gruden has pointed out several times the RBs and more so the TE's can't block worth a damn.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-3rd rounders Are not or should not be considered projects. these are guys you expect to make your team and contribute by year three latest. Morgan, Leribeus and Long were ALL drafted in the 3rd round. And i have said it before and I will say it again.. if you need to invest a bunch of HIGH draft picks into simply making your QB look competent.. the QB aint that good to begin with. Yes Dallas invested a ton of resources to make Romo look good. But I am agreeing with you, I hope we sink the first three picks into the O-line... then maybe people will stop bitching on how we have the worst o-line in the cosmos even if the stats over the past 3-5 years dont bear that out.

Our oline does suck and we need an upgrade across the board. But you should be able to find quality OL in the second and third rounds. You shouldn't have to use a 1st round every time to get a starter on the line. Our problem isn't that we haven't invested on the line, our problem is who we invested in. Long and lerebius were both reaches as 3rd round picks and it appears now that there is a reason why most thought they weren't 3rd worthy. Moses also had big question marks. Compton is what you would expect from a 7 th round pick. A back up that lasts 3-5 years.

We need to get back to smash mouth football where we have a line that lines up and just beats up on the guy in front of them. You wear them down. Stop trying to outsmart everyone by picking these obscure players because they are "athletic" and will work in a zone blocking scheme. Great. But they can't pass block worth a shit as they get steamrolled. I'm tired of seeing our OL collapse in a matter of seconds every time we drop back. Morris is a RB that will do just fine in any running scheme as he has good vision and rarely is brought down by the first guy. Let's go back to a power running game.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to draft Sammy Baugh. He could be the best QB, FS and punter in the league. Ohh, that was 80 years ago.

I think Oline and DB is where we need the most help but one thing people should be more aware of is we need TEs and RBs that can block. We are extremely weak in both of those positions. Of course we don't want to draft either in the first three rounds but to run Gruden's offense this NEEDs to be improved.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well the issue shark is you are lumping me in with them and that isnt my view