• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"if Oklahoma would have lost, we would have put a two loss Georgia in over an 1 loss OSU"

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the difference was that OU has one of the most efficient offenses in college football. In fact

Georgia would have been in over Ohio St.. What made the difference from OU is we averaged more yards per play then any team in the HISTORY of college football. The committee has mentioned several times that OU has a HISTORICAL offense. The committee knows we would have a punchers chance against against anybody even Bama I don't think they feel that way about Ohio St.

I think if Haskins ran as well as Murray people would perceive him much different.

He only set an all time BIG TD record. Yea OU has the overall statistical better offense I think they worried about Haskins being one dimensional versus Bama etc.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprisingly, OU’s defense has gotten worse since firing Stoops.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washingtons resume isnt as bad as some think.

I do agree on the others save Texas.... eliminate divisions first and foremost.
Washington's defense is legit, but their offense has been mid level at best and down right pedestrian. Their losses weren't horrible, but they had too many and never dominated/pulled away in games they should have because that offense holds them back.

They had no business being anywhere near a playoff this year. Period.

This is the season that shows the weakness of auto bids. They don't work, can't work, and make things worse.

Why is it so hard for some to understand that the second best team in a conference actually might be even miles ahead of a winner of another? Georgia would kick the shit out of Washington. So might a few other teams that would be passed up with some time of auto bid bullshit.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington's defense is legit, but their offense has been mid level at best and down right pedestrian. Their losses weren't horrible, but they had too many and never dominated/pulled away in games they should have because that offense holds them back.

This is the season that shows the weakness of auto bids. They don't work, can't work, and make things worse.

Why is it so hard for some to understand that the second best team in a conference actually might be even miles ahead of a winner of another? Georgia would kick the shit out of Washington. So might a few other teams that would be passed up with some time of auto bid bullshit.

In a four team format they def didn't deserve a bid.

Georgia would be in with an 8 either way

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with your post is that an expansion to 8 teams wouldn't just be auto-bids. It would be auto-bids for the 5 conference champs, but you would still have room for at large bids as well.

Think UGA would kick the shit out of UW...they'd get an at large bid and a chance to prove it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with your post is that an expansion to 8 teams wouldn't just be auto-bids. It would be auto-bids for the 5 conference champs, but you would still have room for at large bids as well.

Think UGA would kick the shit out of UW...they'd get an at large bid and a chance to prove it.
And at 8 there would still be other teams more worthy. We can look at the CFP final 25 to verify that.

Winning a conf doesn't necessarily make you playoff worthy. This year is true proof of that. Period. It entirely ends the auto bid debate and puts it 6 feet under.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE fans must hate Notre Dame.

The only thing that chaps me is being an OSU fan there does seem to be a damn long memory with their fuckups as opposed to some other teams.

OSU owns ND in my lifetime....it isn't relevant but it definitely feels played up when comparing OSU/Clemson for example.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And at 8 there would still be other teams more worthy. We can look at the CFP final 25 to verify that.

Winning a conf doesn't necessarily make you playoff worthy. This year is true proof of that. Period. It entirely ends the auto bid debate and puts it 6 feet under.

lol

Puts the autobid "6 feet under" because you say so?

Autobids and wild card/at large has worked forever in professional sports. It would work just fine in college too.

Perhaps Washington doesn't deserve it this year, but would be in under an 8 team playoff. So what?

What about a year when they maybe did deserve it, but were left out because there are only 4 slots and 5 conference champs?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was OSU’s SOS? Serious question, I know the Purdue loss was awful and ultimately kelt them out of the discussion but what is the SOS? Did that factor in any?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Puts the autobid "6 feet under" because you say so?

Autobids and wild card/at large has worked forever in professional sports. It would work just fine in college too.

Perhaps Washington doesn't deserve it this year, but would be in under an 8 team playoff. So what?

What about a year when they maybe did deserve it, but were left out because there are only 4 slots and 5 conference champs?
Yes, to me it buries it dead. What part of that gives you trouble? lol

And I have said hundreds of times that ANY loss at all and you deserve whatever happens. That's college football and something I really like about college football. So no, it doesn't change a damned thing. At all. Even a little. If UW has a terrible schedule and runs the table and is still left out, same fucking thing. Schedule better. They have it entirely in their own control. Play decent teams and don't lose. You make it in even on a 4 team format. It's not hard. And it's more fair than this joke of a system some peddle up here that kills everything we love about the sport.

And just stop with the comparison to the pros. It's a non starter and you know that by now. The NFL has true parity with everyone else in your div playing each other both home and away. That's fucking HUGE. Then they all play 8 other teams in common. There are exactly two teams they all play that the others don't, and those are seed based off prior years finish to help lower teams have a small advantage to improve their standing. It's meant to tilt toward true parity. There isn't anything even remotely possible with 130 teams playing in 10 separate leagues that have very little cross over and none settle even their own leagues the same way, more or less have them balanced between them. It's a total joke to even bring it up.

There isn't any other type of sport that comes close to the total imbalance of college football. So how on earth can you compare how they settle things at years end? :L

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was OSU’s SOS? Serious question, I know the Purdue loss was awful and ultimately kelt them out of the discussion but what is the SOS? Did that factor in any?
SoS is always a big factor. I don’t know where it ranked, but I know that Oregon state was their out of conference P5 game. Other than that their Michigan win was big, they edged out Penn State, and then beat Northwestern in the conference championship, don’t know if they had any other ranked teams than those 3. Guessing it’s middle of the road and not topping any of the different schedule rankings.

Cafe_Puro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I misunderstood the point of the committee but I thought it was their job to rank the top 25 teams from best to worst. After all, that's what I keep hearing.

"Best 4 teams! Best 4 teams!"

So if they wouldn't have actually put Georgia in over Ohio State then they're not doing their jobs.

But you're right, who knows what they would have really done.
so your opinion is a team that lost by 29 points is better than a team that lost twice by a total of less points? And the combined loss record of the winning teams vs uga is half of the 6 losses purdue has? Let me repeat... Bama and lsu have a combined loss rec of 3.. Purdue has 6 losses.. Yet beat osu by 29 points...

But you are say osu is better than uga... Interesting.. They are better than uga like ucf is better than OSU.. More wins right?

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU lost their game by 3 points. OSU got their shit pushed in by 29 points. Even though OU’s defense is pretty bad, OU > OSU and Buckeyes fans can go cry in their beer until next season

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU lost their game by 3 points. OSU got their shit pushed in by 29 points. Even though OU’s defense is pretty bad, OU > OSU and Buckeyes fans can go cry in their beer until next season

Can you guys win a playoff game for once though at least?

Cafe_Puro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should still have leftovers from last year. Weve seen this movie before.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, people are still making up scenario's just to melt over them.

Now that's a bet I would have lost my ass on, and thinking back I feel dumb for not seeing this coming.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your opinion is a team that lost by 29 points is better than a team that lost twice by a total of less points? And the combined loss record of the winning teams vs uga is half of the 6 losses purdue has? Let me repeat... Bama and lsu have a combined loss rec of 3.. Purdue has 6 losses.. Yet beat osu by 29 points...

But you are say osu is better than uga... Interesting.. They are better than uga like ucf is better than OSU.. More wins right?

Wow. That might matter if this were soccer and point differential was a thing. Too bad it's football where point differential generally doesn't come into play unless you need a fifth tie-breaker in some weird scenario.

That aside, you're missing the point I was trying to make. I don't know who is actually the best team. But we have people here saying that the committee would not have actually put Georgia in if Oklahoma lost. I'm just saying that all I've heard is that committee's job is to rank the top 25 teams from best to worst. So unless the committee is not doing their job, they absolutely would have put Georgia in over Ohio State.

For the record though, I think the the whole "4 best teams! 4 best team!" thing is bullshit. That's too subjective. Teams should have to play their way into the playoff, not get voted in.

Cafe_Puro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That might matter if this were soccer and point differential was a thing. Too bad it's football where point differential generally doesn't come into play unless you need a fifth tie-breaker in some weird scenario.

That aside, you're missing the point I was trying to make. I don't know who is actually the best team. But we have people here saying that the committee would not have actually put Georgia in if Oklahoma lost. I'm just saying that all I've heard is that committee's job is to rank the top 25 teams from best to worst. So unless the committee is not doing their job, they absolutely would have put Georgia in over Ohio State.

For the record though, I think the the whole "4 best teams! 4 best team!" thing is bullshit. That's too subjective. Teams should have to play their way into the playoff, not get voted in.
did you miss the part where i said ucf is better than osu cus of wins? The committee has shown year after year.. Total wins and losses are subjective.. Where an undefeated ucf can be behind 1 and 2 loss teams.. So them saying a 2 loss uga is better than a 1 loss osu.. Would be based on more than just win/loss.. I do think they are doing their job..and pleasing everyone wasnt part of their job requirements.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you miss the part where i said ucf is better than osu cus of wins? The committee has shown year after year.. Total wins and losses are subjective.. Where an undefeated ucf can be behind 1 and 2 loss teams.. So them saying a 2 loss uga is better than a 1 loss osu.. Would be based on more than just win/loss.. I do think they are doing their job..and pleasing everyone wasnt part of their job requirements.

Wins and losses are absolutely not subjective.

Comparing schedules can be though. But I do think we can agree that comparing G5 schedules to P5 schedules is not the same as P5 vs. P5 schedules. You're comparing teams with top 15 SOS in one case and comparing a top 15 SOS to a 70 something SOS in another.

I also think the committee is doing exactly what I said, ranking who they think the best teams are in order. The problem is that by subjectively ranking like this they often reward teams for either not making their championship game or losing to the right team. It's idiotic and it kind of shits in the face of the whole "every game matters" thing.