• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Carolina starts out on fire again...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Panthers jump out to a big lead early the way they did versus the Seahawks and Cardinals how much rope will Kubiak give Manning? I mean if Manning is getting swarmed the way Wilson and Palmer did and he makes the same early mistakes as RW and CP would Kubiak yank Manning and go to the more mobile Osweiller, or do you think they've decided to sink or swim with Peyton and he'll stay in no matter what?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the score...If DEN D is playing well...this should be a 1 possession game for the vast majority. If that's the case, I think Kubiak will let it be Manning's game...If they get behind like you're suggesting and Manning is basically a sitting duck with no threat of a running game, he'll probably pull him to go with Brock. I think he'll wait until at least the half should he go that route.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Palmer wasn't yanked last Sunday, I can't see a scenario where Peyton is pulled from the SB.

This is it for him, no way he rides the pine in his last pro game.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the score...If DEN D is playing well...this should be a 1 possession game for the vast majority. If that's the case, I think Kubiak will let it be Manning's game...If they get behind like you're suggesting and Manning is basically a sitting duck with no threat of a running game, he'll probably pull him to go with Brock. I think he'll wait until at least the half should he go that route.

I agree, I just wonder how long that would take. Would the Broncos need to be down 3 scores? 4 scores? Or maybe it would come down to turnovers. If Manning looks really shaky early on would Kubiak risk being a pariah and pull out one of the greatest QBs of all time in order to win the SB? I can't think of a much worse scenario for Peyton's legacy than if he got pulled due to poor play and Brock came back to win the SB.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Palmer wasn't yanked last Sunday, I can't see a scenario where Peyton is pulled from the SB.

This is it for him, no way he rides the pine in his last pro game.

They probably should have pulled Palmer too, but who else did the Cards have? At least with the Bronco's they have a bonafide option sitting on the bench.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of a much worse scenario for Peyton's legacy than if he got pulled due to poor play and Brock came back to win the SB.

Has that ever even happened? I can't recall watching a SB where the backup played significant snaps. My memory ain't so good, though.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked it up...Hostetler took over for Phil Simms in the middle of the NFCCG and then won the SB...some other guys were backups to start a season but became the starter midway through the year, like Bradshaw in 74, Plunkett in 80, or Dilfer in 2000.

Still not sure if there was ever a mid-game QB change in a SB that resulted in a win.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I just wonder how long that would take. Would the Broncos need to be down 3 scores? 4 scores? Or maybe it would come down to turnovers. If Manning looks really shaky early on would Kubiak risk being a pariah and pull out one of the greatest QBs of all time in order to win the SB? I can't think of a much worse scenario for Peyton's legacy than if he got pulled due to poor play and Brock came back to win the SB.

I think the flow of the game might decide it...say down 17, in the 2Q and DEN is having pass protection problems with Manning is taking a lot of hits...for his own protection I could see Kubiak pulling him.

I don't see the game playing out that way unless there are some short fields given up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked it up...Hostetler took over for Phil Simms in the middle of the NFCCG and then won the SB...some other guys were backups to start a season but became the starter midway through the year, like Bradshaw in 74, Plunkett in 80, or Dilfer in 2000.

Still not sure if there was ever a mid-game QB change in a SB that resulted in a win.

Idk if Bradshaw lost the job to Gilliam on performance, but I thought it was injury and Joe Gilliam led the team on an unexpected winning streak...but Bradshaw regained the job near the end of the season...in fact all 3 QBs in my avator factored during that season.

I don't ever recall a guy coming from the bullpen to win in the SB game.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't think of it ever happening in the SB. There are examples like you say in the playoffs. Doug Flutie coming in for a crappy Brad Johnson comes to mind.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be a tough call for Kubiak.

On one hand you want to do what is best for the team.....on the other it would be one hell of an insult to bench Manning. My guess is that he wouldn't do it without Payton's consent. It would be too much of a slap in the face.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of it ever happening in the SB. There are examples like you say in the playoffs. Doug Flutie coming in for a crappy Brad Johnson comes to mind.

You're like my wife during sex....you are thinking of another Johnson.

BA-Dum-Dum

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't remember any that resulted in a win in the SB either. The only one that immediately pops into my mind still resulted in a loss (Unitas taking over for Morel in SB III).

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....I think Bledsoe came-in for an injured Brady [one series] and scored a td/playing Pitt. in the AFC/CH.-gm.,..2001/02.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this wasn't potentially Manning's last Super Bowl ever then yes he would get pulled. But since this probably is the case he will remain in unless he get serious hurt.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's 0-10 after two drives in the 3rd quarter, Brock goes in.

Won't happen like that though. Peyton will play fine. He's rested.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I talked all of that crap about the Patriots easily beating the Broncos I'm going to say the Panthers will easily win this game. You're welcome Denver fans.