• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iceland

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone here been to Iceland before? My girlfriend and I are going there for a few days in November. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do. The main reason is we want to see the Northern Lights. Also planning on doing the Golden Circle.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were there a few summers ago but just for a day and a half. Did the Golden Circle (everything was well worth seeing) and a puffin tour. That and a look around Reykjavik was all we had time for.

We were there in June so no Northern Lights for us.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter and her now-husband went in the summer. They rented a car and camped around the country. They loved it but were shocked at how high the prices were.

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone here been to Iceland before? My girlfriend and I are going there for a few days in November. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do. The main reason is we want to see the Northern Lights. Also planning on doing the Golden Circle.

Been there.

Prices are enormously high, especially to eat out. Go by a Bonus or Kronan grocery store and pick up things to eat, especially while on the road or touring. Sandwich fixings, chips, sodas. A soda can run $10 or more at some stops. Sometimes you can get cheaper good at quick markets. Restaurants are VERY expensive, so is liquor of any kind.

Also, some stops have pay toilets.

Golden Circle tours nice. Highly recommend Artic Adventures or Super Jeep for tours. Artic Adventure had a policy that if you didnt see the lights,you could go another night for free.

Do go by the tectonic plates where you can touch North America and Europe. If you have the guts,you can also dive or snorkel them at Silfra.

Plenty of ice cave and glacier tours. Even one where you can go down into an extinct volcano.

You take the bus in from the airport, taxi would break the bank. The Flybus. Can book on line. It's quite nice. Taxis are extremely expensive.

Be prepared for constantly changing weather. On one tour, we went from sunny to rain to snow back to sunny in a few miles.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been there.

Prices are enormously high, especially to eat out. Go by a Bonus or Kronan grocery store and pick up things to eat, especially while on the road or touring. Sandwich fixings, chips, sodas. A soda can run $10 or more at some stops. Sometimes you can get cheaper good at quick markets. Restaurants are VERY expensive, so is liquor of any kind.

Also, some stops have pay toilets.

Golden Circle tours nice. Highly recommend Artic Adventures or Super Jeep for tours. Artic Adventure had a policy that if you didnt see the lights,you could go another night for free.

Do go by the tectonic plates where you can touch North America and Europe. If you have the guts,you can also dive or snorkel them at Silfra.

Plenty of ice cave and glacier tours. Even one where you can go down into an extinct volcano.

You take the bus in from the airport, taxi would break the bank. The Flybus. Can book on line. It's quite nice. Taxis are extremely expensive.

Be prepared for constantly changing weather. On one tour, we went from sunny to rain to snow back to sunny in a few miles.
I have heard about the high prices and most people use credit cards there. I’ve heard a little about Bonus and do think we’ll probably go there and maybe to Costco since I’ve heard there’s one around.
The tectonic plates thing you mentioned is one of the things I really want to try to do. I’d probably snorkel them, which I’ve never done either.
Appreciate the info about the tour companies. I’ll check them out. Someone on a Facebook group about Iceland said to do the tours instead of driving yourself because you’ll miss a lot by doing that.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Greenland is called Green and Iceland is called Ice because th e Vikings wanted to steer explorers awry. I can say that Greenland is not Green.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard about the high prices and most people use credit cards there. I’ve heard a little about Bonus and do think we’ll probably go there and maybe to Costco since I’ve heard there’s one around.
The tectonic plates thing you mentioned is one of the things I really want to try to do. I’d probably snorkel them, which I’ve never done either.
Appreciate the info about the tour companies. I’ll check them out. Someone on a Facebook group about Iceland said to do the tours instead of driving yourself because you’ll miss a lot by doing that.

Kronan is slightly more expensive than Bonus but carries a bit wider range. There is a Costco. BUT. Bonus is like a tradition, especially to get one of their plastic bags with the Bonus pig on it. Which they do charge for. I brought several back.

Hope you feel comfortable in a dry suit because you will need it to snorkel Silfra. They rent them. But have some warm undergarments because the water year round is slightly above freezing.

Driving is great if you are comfy with it but when a storm blows in, it can sandblast you right off the road.

One of the location Artic Adventure took us to is where they filmed Flags of Our Father's. It was also awesome when they took us on the highway built under the Atlantic.

Artic Adventures also does Silfra snorkeling.

If you still want to drive yourself, they can arrange it.

You can buy liquor at the duty free before you come in to Iceland.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kronan is slightly more expensive than Bonus but carries a bit wider range. There is a Costco. BUT. Bonus is like a tradition, especially to get one of their plastic bags with the Bonus pig on it. Which they do charge for. I brought several back.

Hope you feel comfortable in a dry suit because you will need it to snorkel Silfra. They rent them. But have some warm undergarments because the water year round is slightly above freezing.

Driving is great if you are comfy with it but when a storm blows in, it can sandblast you right off the road.

One of the location Artic Adventure took us to is where they filmed Flags of Our Father's. It was also awesome when they took us on the highway built under the Atlantic.

Artic Adventures also does Silfra snorkeling.

If you still want to drive yourself, they can arrange it.

You can buy liquor at the duty free before you come in to Iceland.
There’s about seven things that we’re aiming to do: Golden Circle, Northern Lights, see the volcanoes, whale watching, ice caves, do Silfra and go to a black sand beach. Do you think that’s feasible or should some of that be done on a second trip? Because I’d like to go back in the summer to try to do the ring road and see some puffins as well.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s about seven things that we’re aiming to do: Golden Circle, Northern Lights, see the volcanoes, whale watching, ice caves, do Silfra and go to a black sand beach. Do you think that’s feasible or should some of that be done on a second trip? Because I’d like to go back in the summer to try to do the ring road and see some puffins as well.

Should be doable. Many of these can be combined into a tour, then do northern lights at night (obviously).

Artic Adventures has some good combination tours. Check them out. Good company with quality transport.

Be sure to follow the cautions at the black sand beaches. Their waves have been deadly for those getting too close.

Have fun and remember the weather changes at the drop of a hat. And take your own snacks and drinks on tours to keep expenses down.

For giggles, you can even take a day flight north of the Artic circle and get a certificate you've crossed the Artic circle.

BTW, taxis are wicked expensive there. I don't know if they have Uber or Lyft.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be doable. Many of these can be combined into a tour, then do northern lights at night (obviously).

Artic Adventures has some good combination tours. Check them out. Good company with quality transport.

Be sure to follow the cautions at the black sand beaches. Their waves have been deadly for those getting too close.

Have fun and remember the weather changes at the drop of a hat. And take your own snacks and drinks on tours to keep expenses down.

For giggles, you can even take a day flight north of the Artic circle and get a certificate you've crossed the Artic circle.

BTW, taxis are wicked expensive there. I don't know if they have Uber or Lyft.
The Arctic Circle one is something I’d love to do. I was looking it up but couldn’t find anything for November. I think they cut it off in mid October if memory serves.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Arctic Circle one is something I’d love to do. I was looking it up but couldn’t find anything for November. I think they cut it off in mid October if memory serves.

Here's one with a winter tour

The air flight cuts off mid Oct but I think the other tour uses a ferry

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in northern Greeland working on a radar system. It's well above the Arctic circle. I was there in the summer, so it was always daylight. In fact, I got to see sunset, followed a couple of minutes later by sunrise. I didn't find it exciting at all, just damn cold for August.

They did sea current measurements and determined that a glacier across from the radar calved the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.