• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think Marshall's got to go

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also could have tried to extend Alshon earlier than the contract year which would put him in the 6 million range. Now a breakout year he is gonna look for 10-12, if they franchise him, the top 5 are 16.127 to 12 million, average is 14. They missed that chance. He will make his 1.3 million this year and go where he gets paid.

True, that was an option that wasnt explored, but Im sure they had reasons not to do that. Still, they are in a position to to field an offer that will probably be enough to retain him. Trade or no trade, Marshall was going to be let go in all likelihood. Finding a taker days before guaranteed money was due couldnt have gone any better. The trade took him off the books completely.

C

cubzzzfanincali

eh, not completely. He's still a $5.6 dead money charge this year. But after this he's off the books.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, not completely. He's still a $5.6 dead money charge this year. But after this he's off the books.

Ah...thats right...I forgot about what was left of his SB. Since hes not on the team anymore, whats left gets accelerated to the current cap year...is that correct?

C

cubzzzfanincali

That's my understanding. Dead money hits get pushed all into one year. That's what made Cutler's dead money cost so high this year. So yes, Brandon's totally off our books next year.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not talking free agents, they traded to get Marshall around this time in camp. Its not just picking from the scrap heap. The problem with royal, Wilson, even Welker is they are not 6'5 willing to catch jump balls, which is the only ball our QB knows how to throw. Nobody wanted to trade down and get the beast DGP who is the massive target Cutler needs. They took the fast guy that should have 20 yards to adjust his route to where the deep ball is going.

All I am saying is there is a huge hole, seems some deal would make alot of sense. Sure it might be someone that might just be getting cut anyway, but you are probably trading someone that does not fit either.
You are a fucking quack....you know if you would stop this jealous rant about jay and the jump balls you would be taken seriously by more people....at least I make no bones about being serious...you on the other hand actually believes your own crap....move man its annoying

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just watch the games and stop making excuses for "he had to put the ball down and away" or three feet high. From the highlights last week, Bennett had to dive for a ball with nobody around him, a back had a one handed reaching catch falling to the ground with nobody around him.

Its simple physics, if your feet are off the ground you are not making positive yardage, you are catching and going down. You want YAK, the receivers feet must be on the ground running. You know YAK, you YAK all day here being more repetitive than I am.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance....small....that the Bears could extend Alshon mid-season. The Bears are sitting on $8.5 million in cap space (I'm assuming final cuts won't change that very much). If we have a "normal" amount of injuries, we might need $4 or $5 of that during the season, which would more or less preclude an extension. But if the Bears get injury lucky, and hang on to most of that cap, they could use it on AJ. This year is going to go a long way towards figuring out how good he really is, and whether he is worth franchise $$ or not. Drafting White, in theory, gives the Bears a lot more leverage with him than they would have otherwise had.

I think the leverage was with Marshall here. Pretty clear, you are not as good as marshall, dont have the career Marshall had and he is making 9.5 million. White is already making more money than Jeffrey.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to explore this little Line: "The Career Marshall Has Had"... Let's see:
Early- Multiple arrests, police inquires, practice blow-ups early in career- NO playoff games: Traded to Miami.
Mid- Another Police investigation to off field behavior- No Playoffs: Traded to Chicago
Two productive years with poor defenses, One bat-shit crazy year of injuries, weekly trips to NY, LR blow-ups, unnecessary press conferences, career worst on field production, season ending injury. NO playoffs... Traded a third time.
So how's that career?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think the leverage was with Marshall here. Pretty clear, you are not as good as marshall, dont have the career Marshall had and he is making 9.5 million. White is already making more money than Jeffrey.

How would Marshall, who is older, under shorter contract, and cost more, given the Bears more leverage over Jeffery than White, who is younger, cheaper, and under contract for 5 years? That's the opposite of the way leverage works in this league in every possible way.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Just want to explore this little Line: "The Career Marshall Has Had"... Let's see:
Early- Multiple arrests, police inquires, practice blow-ups early in career- NO playoff games: Traded to Miami.
Mid- Another Police investigation to off field behavior- No Playoffs: Traded to Chicago
Two productive years with poor defenses, One bat-shit crazy year of injuries, weekly trips to NY, LR blow-ups, unnecessary press conferences, career worst on field production, season ending injury. NO playoffs... Traded a third time.
So how's that career?

Maybe this is nitpicking, but Marshall's first year as a Bear had one of the Top 5 defenses in the league.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh oh, new receiver to catch your guys grief for speaking his mind. Steven A Smith might be our hero. LOL, I have been in a good mood skip.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would Marshall, who is older, under shorter contract, and cost more, given the Bears more leverage over Jeffery than White, who is younger, cheaper, and under contract for 5 years? That's the opposite of the way leverage works in this league in every possible way.

Because when Marshall was in all your spank banks bailing out cutler, undoubtedly a top 5 NFC receiver is not making 10 million a year, an up and comer is not worth 10 million. Now Jeffrey is making less than White, which will end up costing more. Lets put this in a cubs perspective. Shark was here, cubs blow it by signing Edwin Jackson for 13 million a year, Shark knows he is better than Edwin Jackson, so he figures he is worth well more than 13 million per year. If Jeffrey became the top receiver when Marshall was here (earning 10 million when you guys liked him) you have the argument that Jeffrey deserved more. Now he will compare himself against the guys making 10-14.

Like I said, two years ago they had a shot to pay Jeffrey an olsen type 4-24 deal, now its looking like 3/27 minimum since he will be the top receiver on this team.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Because when Marshall was in all your spank banks bailing out cutler, undoubtedly a top 5 NFC receiver is not making 10 million a year, an up and comer is not worth 10 million. Now Jeffrey is making less than White, which will end up costing more. Lets put this in a cubs perspective. Shark was here, cubs blow it by signing Edwin Jackson for 13 million a year, Shark knows he is better than Edwin Jackson, so he figures he is worth well more than 13 million per year. If Jeffrey became the top receiver when Marshall was here (earning 10 million when you guys liked him) you have the argument that Jeffrey deserved more. Now he will compare himself against the guys making 10-14.

Like I said, two years ago they had a shot to pay Jeffrey an olsen type 4-24 deal, now its looking like 3/27 minimum since he will be the top receiver on this team.

That's an interesting analogy to Shark, but it misses in one key way. Marshall is nearing the end of his career, not the beginning (or, maybe more correctly, Shark should have 7-8 more prime years).

Jeffrey will get paid based on the total WR market, not whether Marshall is/was here or not. The difference is not so much on Jeffery's side, it is on the Bears side. The Bears will be less inclined to pay Jeffery ~$12 million with White than they would Marshall, for the simple basic reason that White is younger, cheaper, locked up, not a known clubhouse cancer, and has higher upside. Period. Those are the characteristics that affect contract leverage, not past performance (which is basically what you are saying). The NFL is called Not For Long for a reason. The question of whether Jeffery will accept a harder line or not from the Bears is what will determine whether he stays or goes, not how Marshall kept the Cutler era going in 2012 and 2013.

By the way, if you think Marshall is a Top 5 NFC receiver, you are smoking crack. I can list at least the following who are better than him at this stage in his career:

Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones
Jordy Nelson
Dez Bryant
Odell Beckham Jr
Randall Cobb
Kelvin Benjamin

Then there's a pile of about 7 or 8 guys who are more or less in Marshall's tier. Guys like DeSean Jackson, Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson. I'd say Marshall, had he stayed in the NFC, would be around #11 or so.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, if you think Marshall is a Top 5 NFC receiver, you are smoking crack. I can list at least the following who are better than him at this stage in his career:

I said whey you guys liked him, that was 2012-2013 when he had over 100 catches per year with 1500 and 1300 yards.

There is plenty out there you can insult me on, dont say I am smoking crack smartass.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said whey you guys liked him, that was 2012-2013 when he had over 100 catches per year with 1500 and 1300 yards.

There is plenty out there you can insult me on, dont say I am smoking crack smartass.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I don't understand with you AI, is that you use these stats to defend your LR cancer...and yet, when you want to pile on Jay (the guy who threw to him) the same stats are used to call out Jay's "locked on" mentality. 100+ catches... You can't have it both ways. And didn't Steven A. Smith get suspended a few times for being an asshat? Doesn't that tell you something?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't understand with you AI, is that you use these stats to defend your LR cancer...and yet, when you want to pile on Jay (the guy who threw to him) the same stats are used to call out Jay's "locked on" mentality. 100+ catches... You can't have it both ways. And didn't Steven A. Smith get suspended a few times for being an asshat? Doesn't that tell you something?

I am not defending marshall, I am questioning you menopausal fans. Can we go back in time when I wrote what the fuck do we want this guy for and all you guys were gushing in your underpants over him? I think its a cop out with this current NFL taking players and abandoning them when they get in trouble. You defended everything about Marshall when he was kissing Jays ass. I seriously am starting to believe that part of John Fox taking this job was the understanding he would not have Marshall on his team. Show some balls and help these guys.I only used stats to show the time period I claimed he was top 5 receiver in the NFC

Lets now go back to me bitching about MArtellax Bennett, Bears running the two minute drill, everyone hustling to the line, mainly the linemen, while Bennett is walking across the formation to get back to his spot and me calling him a POS because Jay cannot snap the ball until he sets which was usually wasting 15 seconds. Lets see how many avoid jumping on this pile now that he spoke out against Cutler not being a "LEADER" just so they dont have to show they agree with something I said a while ago about this POShit since he will leap tall linebackers and take punishment to catch an errant throw. Lets see how long it lasts.

C

cubzzzfanincali

and here I thought I was the biggest asshole on this board. My bad.

C

cubzzzfanincali

OK, so just to clarify for all of us menopausal fans (pot meet kettle?), who you seem to think all think the same way about Marshall (let's just ignore the dozen or so major arguments just this board alone had on the subject, to make your netcasting more convenient), the point you are trying to make is that you always said having Marshall aboard was always a bad idea, right? Or....when exactly did you start saying this? I'm just trying to grasp what it is you are saying, which is not always an easy thing to do.

You were not the only one ragging on Bennett's obvious QUIT last season. I agree that Marty & Brandon occupy some similar situational space. Both are outspoken, not always on the reservation, but their production at times made it worth putting up with. There was, of course, a big difference between the two, namely that Marshall's body is starting to break down, and so, sure, it's always possible Fox did in fact make that a condition for his taking the job. We don't know that of course, but sure it is possible. But anyway, back to the main point, is what you are saying that putting up with Bennett is hypocritical and wrong and we shouldn't tolerate him either and demand he be moved ASAP? Maybe so, but you know what, the NFL (like a lot of other things) is packed to the gills with hypocrisy. To me, hypocrisy is just a fact of life Martellus Bennnett can and should stay here until his cost outweighs his value. That's all that happened with Marshall. The reason we (and, come on man, seriously we don't all think alike on this...I think Noon still wishes he was here) eventually turned on him (some sooner than others...see for example richig) was that eventually as his production started to decline and AJ was more developed, he was no longer worth it.

I don't think the Marshall years were a mistake at all. This organization has made a lot of real mistakes, this isn't one of them. What, ya think if we cut ties with Brandon a year ago we would have won a Super Bowl last year, or the organization would be all that much better off? But I also think it was clearly time to move on, so I supported the move this year. Every player has their lifespan with a team. His was clearly over.