• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I have officially named Kupchak and Buss

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumber and Dumber. Pau Gasol for Andrew Buynum, really? They are going to run this organization into the ground. Help Jeannie, help Phil, before it's too late!!!!! :L

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are good reasons to do it.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference in making a move now as opposed to making it in the off-season is saving about $20 million in luxury taxes.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumber and Dumber. Pau Gasol for Andrew Buynum, really? They are going to run this organization into the ground. Help Jeannie, help Phil, before it's too late!!!!! :L

You need to read the article. It would be a salary dump. As Lakersboy points out, it saves them $20million and gets them under the luxury tax.

If it happens, it will be the smartest move they've made yet.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Bynum is a head case. Something we don't need on this team. We have enough issues at it is. We don't need to add fuel to the fire. I think there is a better deal out there.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....but I guess cutting cost is prolly a good thing. It can't get any worse than it is at the moment, that's for damn sure.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Bynum is a head case. Something we don't need on this team. We have enough issues at it is. We don't need to add fuel to the fire. I think there is a better deal out there.

:L Bynum won't be added. It's about dumping Pau's salary and not paying luxury tax on a lottery bound team. Bynum will be released almost as soon as the trade happens (if it does).

There are only 3 ways that Bynum sets foot in Staples again: either as a Clipper, a member of an opposing team playing the Clippers or Lakers or if he buys a ticket to a Rihanna concert.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't worry he won't even set foot in Los Angeles let alone Staples Center, because if that would happend then the Cavs would have to pay some of the remaining contract on Bynum & Lakers would be breaking what the deal was in the 1st place.

Trust me it wont happen both sides would agree to this if the trade goes down.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't trading for Bynum as a player. They would acquire him then dump him. Pretty smart move on the front office's part if they can get below the luxury tax threshold (thus resetting the repeater tax timeline) and acquire an asset such as a pick or young player with upside.

I say trade Gasol for a box a rocks. It's an addition by subtraction move. Gasol doesn't what to be here anymore and he certainly doesn't give much effort when he does suit up.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't trading for Bynum as a player. They would acquire him then dump him. Pretty smart move on the front office's part if they can get below the luxury tax threshold (thus resetting the repeater tax timeline) and acquire an asset such as a pick or young player with upside.

I say trade Gasol for a box a rocks. It's an addition by subtraction move. Gasol doesn't what to be here anymore and he certainly doesn't give much effort when he does suit up.

Great point. I had forgotten about the repeater tax. Makes it an even smarter move, imo.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also removes Gasol's cap hold. If LA keeps Gasol and he enters FA, his salary comes off the books but there is a cap hold until he signs with another team or the Lakers renounce his rights (or something. CBA gets really complicated with this stuff). With his hold, it makes it difficult for the Lakers to have max cap room right away. But by getting Bynum and cutting him right away, that cap hold isn't an issue since Bynum's contract is structured differently.

I think its a good enough deal provided a couple of circumstances. The first being if there really isn't a good market for Gasol, and their might not be, for various reasons having nothing to do with his play (free agency,contenders, tankers, etc). And second, if you know for a fact Gasol will not resign. I still think he can be a good player in the league for anyone not named D'Antoni. If you think you'll get rid of D'Antoni, it might be worth keeping Gasol and convincing him to come back for a lesser deal (he is older and declining). Something 2 years, 17 to 20 mil (8 to 10 mil each year) for a starting big of his age is totally fair. Plus, if you sign him to that fair deal along with other good, but not great players on similar deals (think Kyle Lowery types), that will give you asset flexability to pull off trades for young stars (coughLovecough)

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a great move by the Lakers. Upper management has finally come to it's senses & realized they are at best with Kobe an 8 seed. And even that is a stretch. Doing this would free up future money while increasing their odds of landing in the top of the draft.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said on the mains, let's see what's the best deal and strike. If the best deal eventually turns out to be this one then so be it, but whatever we do, we just have to get Pau out before the trading deadline. Dantoni doesn't want him, Pau can still contribute to a coach that wants him, and we save 20 mil....works for everyone

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point. I had forgotten about the repeater tax. Makes it an even smarter move, imo.

I may be slightly wrong on the repeater tax. I think it kicks in when a team is a taxpayer in four of five years starting with the 2011-12 season. So, if they can get below the luxury tax threshold this season by trading for then dumping Bynum and stay below the luxury tax threshold next season, then they avoid the repeater tax.

I think it is likely that they'll stay under next season. I don't see the major FA splash happening. It could be another season of 1-year contracts saving that cap space for someone like Love in 2015. If Nash medically retires, even better for the cap situation.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said on the mains, let's see what's the best deal and strike. If the best deal eventually turns out to be this one then so be it, but whatever we do, we just have to get Pau out before the trading deadline. Dantoni doesn't want him, Pau can still contribute to a coach that wants him, and we save 20 mil....works for everyone

I don't know if there are better deals than this regarding the salary cap. I don't know how big of a market there is for Pau. Teams aren't going to give up a 2014 lottery pick. The Lakers could have a little more trading power closer to the deadline, but this deal gives them the opportunity to get below the luxury tax.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the deal now.

If I'd been GM, the rebuilding would have begun at the All-Star Break last season and we'd be competing right now.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that was their plan. Might as well do it now, then.