• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huntington extended

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Pirates GM Neal Huntington extended through 2014 - ESPN

Honestly I don't have an issue with this. At least it gives him the years to prove/develop the last few drafts.

I don't see them firing during the deal unless they are brutal next year.

Maybe they are doing this to show some FA's the Pirates are wanted to be contenders sooner rather than later?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with it. But the feeling of the team has changed so much since the All Star Break, wish they would have done it then, and reaped the positive PR. Instead of now, and all the negative PR.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know my position on Huntington, so I need not belabor it here. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect the 2012 season will shift some folks into my corner.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I thought 3 years was a year or two too long. That said, 3 years is not too unreasonable. Need a Grossman, Marte, or another to come up and be a beast and a few starting pitchers to round out the rotation.

So you're saying there's a chance?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what the both of you mean about the 3 years is a long time but he can be fired at anytime during the deal. I don't see it happening but it is a possibility.

My biggest worry with the deal is come this off season how good of job he does bringing in replacement players to fill the holes. Then at some point soon getting an extension for McCutchen.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what the both of you mean about the 3 years is a long time but he can be fired at anytime during the deal. I don't see it happening but it is a possibility.

My biggest worry with the deal is come this off season how good of job he does bringing in replacement players to fill the holes. Then at some point soon getting an extension for McCutchen.

Yea, it's not like they would hesitate on firing him because of his salary or anything. But it gives NH some job security and confidence heading forward.

I'd rather they didn't go nuts in the free agent market, not a ton of value, unless you are looking for part time players, but I think the best test of his capabilities will come when he actually makes a "baseball trade" in which he is receiving the quality major league player.