• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Horrid Halos Head to Hollandless Texas

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe. Fact is, we're gonna be horrid this season, no matter who plays where and for that matter, how well. We're just not set up to have anything close to a .500 season.

However, there should be no rush to bag DeShields IMO. Honestly, I didn't want him here to begin with. But now that he is, let's see what we have. Probably nothing, which is exactly what he cost. But for today, we've played all of 10 games and he is definitely not standing in the way of evaluating anyone or standing in the way of us promoting someone else.

We've got a ENTIRE SEASON to play, "Who Wants/Can Play" with time to spare. Unless DeShields does something off-the-field/locker-room, just go with the flow for a few weeks. No rush.
Kinda agree on the "no rush" We don't have the pitching to keep us out of the cellar so take every opportunity to make sure who we want in 2016.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly think you're over-estimating the negatives of this situation. Who exactly is it you're advocating us having here now after 6.7% of the season has been played which DeShields is depriving?

I suspect management is thinking fairly close to what you are. After all we're all watching the same things. But when you've only played 11 games 2015, no one is even close to 100% about who's in/out for 2016. And it's too early to give up on much of anything, IMO anyway.

The FO is willing to experiment for now, at an absolutely low cost option. It's just not anything to be worried about for another few weeks anyway.
I have been advocating we have Hoying here for quite some time now. I thought he should have been up here last September. If Hoying continues to impress and DeShields doesn't throughout this first month then I say bring him up. Maybe they are waiting to see if Martin needs to be replaced before considering Hoying. If that is the case I would have more patience. If they see Hoying as a possible replacement for Martin should Martin struggle for awhile then that is one thing. if they only see Hoying as a backup then I think he is better than DeShields already. I think we are better served long term finding out about Hoying than we are about DeShields.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Lewis says R-E-L-A-X; 'We've got our guys in place, we'll be just fine' | Dallas Morning News

Lewis: Well, Perez is going to be back up here in about a month and a half. He looks great.

What about Matt Harrison? We’ve been hearing some good things about him. Is it too early to start counting on him? Just curious to what you’ve seen with your own eyeballs.

Lewis: He looks great. Playing long toss, I’ve seen him in the pen – I don’t know if he’s let anything go yet in the pen. I talked to Perez the other day and he said the last four or five they let him go in the pen, and it kind of gave me the goosebumps how excited he was about how great he felt. I know he’s going to be right around the corner…I feel like we’ve got our guys, got our guys in place, and we’ll be just fine.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Lewis says R-E-L-A-X; 'We've got our guys in place, we'll be just fine' | Dallas Morning News

Lewis: Well, Perez is going to be back up here in about a month and a half. He looks great.

What about Matt Harrison? We’ve been hearing some good things about him. Is it too early to start counting on him? Just curious to what you’ve seen with your own eyeballs.

Lewis: He looks great. Playing long toss, I’ve seen him in the pen – I don’t know if he’s let anything go yet in the pen. I talked to Perez the other day and he said the last four or five they let him go in the pen, and it kind of gave me the goosebumps how excited he was about how great he felt. I know he’s going to be right around the corner…I feel like we’ve got our guys, got our guys in place, and we’ll be just fine.
Got my fingers crossed on Harry. It would be the MLB story of the year if his return is successful.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have been advocating we have Hoying here for quite some time now. I thought he should have been up here last September. If Hoying continues to impress and DeShields doesn't throughout this first month then I say bring him up. Maybe they are waiting to see if Martin needs to be replaced before considering Hoying. If that is the case I would have more patience. If they see Hoying as a possible replacement for Martin should Martin struggle for awhile then that is one thing. if they only see Hoying as a backup then I think he is better than DeShields already. I think we are better served long term finding out about Hoying than we are about DeShields.

In case you missed the game today ... Martin was subbed by Peguero. DeShields remained in LF where he looked like a 2bman in the middle of a big field. Ball after ball he was on wrong route to intercept. Missed a ball slowly rolling on the grass allowing run to score and runners to advance. He is a long way from being able to play CF which is why he was on the roster. He thinks since he's playing a COF spot that he's a power bat and is way underweight and under talent for that role. His only skill is he is fast. Which came into his advantage yesterday when he was picked off by 10 feet and Pujols couldn't catch the pickoff throw.

TEX has far better players at AAA and AA than DeShields who came up in the TEX system. Why should some castoff who couldn't make it as a 2bman so they 'made' him an OF ... and then didn't protect him ... get a roster spot for TEX?

Consider this ... Julio Borbon was a 1st round (#35 overall) by TEX in 2007 as a CF. DeShields was 1st round (#8 overall) in 2010 by HOU. Comparing the two ... Borbon may not be your favorite ... but he was far superior when he arrived in TEX than DeShields is. Which is why HOU didn't protect him. And if he is playing a COF spot because he can't figure out the lines to take on balls ... then he is out of position and there are alternatives for him.

When Rua is ready to return ... then TEX will have to decide whether to demote Smolinski or part ways with DeShields or keep Rua in the minors. Pegeuro isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would make it Choo + Elvis for Hamilton and $50mil (and work down from there)
Why not use some of the money you save on the Choo-Hamilton trade to throw in and trade Elvis elsewhere for prospects once we find out if Profar is coming back?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Benny -- posted above responding to the wrong post. So if you are scratching your head ... sorry.

I agree ... Hoying undoubtedly deserved the spot out of camp over DeShields. Not sure whether 2015 is Martin's last option year or whether it was last year. (I used to have a online resource that showed for each team the number of option years remaining for each player).

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have you noticed how many are leaving this board?

For me its not the Rangers bad play that drives me away, its all the know it all asshats that think they have all the solutions, who suddenly start getting more active and more aggressive in in beating whatever horse they feel the need to beat to death at that time

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benny -- posted above responding to the wrong post. So if you are scratching your head ... sorry.

I agree ... Hoying undoubtedly deserved the spot out of camp over DeShields. Not sure whether 2015 is Martin's last option year or whether it was last year. (I used to have a online resource that showed for each team the number of option years remaining for each player).

Based on what I found 2016-2018 are still arbitration years and 2019 is first UFA year

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not use some of the money you save on the Choo-Hamilton trade to throw in and trade Elvis elsewhere for prospects once we find out if Profar is coming back?

Aybar is close to being at the end of his career at SS ... so I was just throwing Elvis into the LAA deal because it was easy ... and Arte overspends.

Elvis keeps up his quality of play of the last two weeks then even LAA will not take him. So -- going to pull the trigger on Elvis before we know about Profar. Means Hanser Alberto gets to play him some SS for TEX. Maybe we find out that he's as excited and talented at Rougned Odor.

What I do know at this point is that Elvis thinks he can do what he wants because he knows Banister doesn't have a SS option except Rosales. He misses Wash.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Based on what I found 2016-2018 are still arbitration years and 2019 is first UFA year

Yea saw that on Cots too. But there is a difference between arbitration years and option years. Martin may actually still have all his options remaining. Can't find when he went on the 40man. Have either three or four option years from when a player goes on the 40 man.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me its not the Rangers bad play that drives me away, its all the know it all asshats that think they have all the solutions, who suddenly start getting more active and more aggressive in in beating whatever horse they feel the need to beat to death at that time

Care to expand upon that?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres getting a lot out of their new players. Pitchers for SD last night were Morrow, Benoit and Kimbrel. Not too shabby.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LuJack did not give up any runs but pitched just 3.2 innings throwing 89 pitches with just 49 of them being strikes. Has really struggled at AAA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LuJack did not give up any runs but pitched just 3.2 innings throwing 89 pitches with just 49 of them being strikes. Has really struggled at AAA.
He has been very disappointing. If he struggles much longer it might be time to consider him for the bullpen.