• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hogan - Perfect Match Between Player and Team

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4800228/chris-hogan-patriots-a-perfect-match-between-resourceful-player-and-team

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A big part of what makes the New England Patriots so successful is their resourcefulness. It's what led them to sign wide receiver Chris Hogan in the offseason in what has turned out to be a perfect marriage with a player who embodies what the team is all about.

Hogan was a star performer in the Patriots' 36-17 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday night, totaling nine catches for 180 yards and two touchdowns, and he'll also be a huge factor in Super Bowl LI against the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 in Houston.

"I'm just happy to take advantage of this opportunity, to be part of this team," Hogan said late Sunday night, donning a white AFC championship hat and huge smile. "It's been a long journey, but I've worked really hard to get to this point and I just couldn't be happier I get to be part of this team, this whole thing."

How Hogan landed in New England and turned in the best year of his career is a classic example of the Patriots' resourcefulness, and also how quarterback Tom Brady and the team's offensive system seem to bring out the best in many.

The Patriots were aggressive in the free-agent receiver market in the offseason, with Marvin Jones one of their top targets. But in the end, Jones signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Detroit Lions.

Having lost out on Jones, the Patriots then turned their attention to the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Hogan, who as a restricted free agent with the Buffalo Bills was tendered at the lowest level ($1.6 million). The Bills viewed him as a solid No. 3 receiver, but the low tender indicated that they viewed him as a player they could live without.

The Patriots pounced, signing Hogan to a front-loaded three-year, $12 million offer sheet that the Bills didn't match. Because Hogan initially entered the NFL as an unrestricted free agent, the Patriots didn't have to surrender any compensation for him.

The end result: New England essentially stole him from a division rival.

Hogan went from playing 56.9 percent of the offensive snaps in Buffalo last season to 74.2 percent in his first season in New England. Playing in every personnel grouping, he averaged 17.9 yards per catch to lead all Patriots receivers in that category during the regular season (38 catches, 680 yards, 4 TDs). His work in the deep part of the field brought a new dimension to the offense and it is something the Falcons will have to contend with in Super Bowl LI.

"He's been incredible," Brady said after a night in which he feasted on the Steelers' zone coverage-heavy approach. "He's made big plays for us all season and he made big plays in the biggest game of the year for us."

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4800228/chris-hogan-patriots-a-perfect-match-between-resourceful-player-and-team

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A big part of what makes the New England Patriots so successful is their resourcefulness. It's what led them to sign wide receiver Chris Hogan in the offseason in what has turned out to be a perfect marriage with a player who embodies what the team is all about.

Hogan was a star performer in the Patriots' 36-17 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday night, totaling nine catches for 180 yards and two touchdowns, and he'll also be a huge factor in Super Bowl LI against the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 in Houston.

"I'm just happy to take advantage of this opportunity, to be part of this team," Hogan said late Sunday night, donning a white AFC championship hat and huge smile. "It's been a long journey, but I've worked really hard to get to this point and I just couldn't be happier I get to be part of this team, this whole thing."

How Hogan landed in New England and turned in the best year of his career is a classic example of the Patriots' resourcefulness, and also how quarterback Tom Brady and the team's offensive system seem to bring out the best in many.

The Patriots were aggressive in the free-agent receiver market in the offseason, with Marvin Jones one of their top targets. But in the end, Jones signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Detroit Lions.

Having lost out on Jones, the Patriots then turned their attention to the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Hogan, who as a restricted free agent with the Buffalo Bills was tendered at the lowest level ($1.6 million). The Bills viewed him as a solid No. 3 receiver, but the low tender indicated that they viewed him as a player they could live without.

The Patriots pounced, signing Hogan to a front-loaded three-year, $12 million offer sheet that the Bills didn't match. Because Hogan initially entered the NFL as an unrestricted free agent, the Patriots didn't have to surrender any compensation for him.

The end result: New England essentially stole him from a division rival.

Hogan went from playing 56.9 percent of the offensive snaps in Buffalo last season to 74.2 percent in his first season in New England. Playing in every personnel grouping, he averaged 17.9 yards per catch to lead all Patriots receivers in that category during the regular season (38 catches, 680 yards, 4 TDs). His work in the deep part of the field brought a new dimension to the offense and it is something the Falcons will have to contend with in Super Bowl LI.

"He's been incredible," Brady said after a night in which he feasted on the Steelers' zone coverage-heavy approach. "He's made big plays for us all season and he made big plays in the biggest game of the year for us."

I'm hoping he can meet or beat Jerry Rice's record of 3 TD's in a SB.

Without Stickum.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hogan is another perfect fit for the Pats, joining Edelman and Amendola (and Gronk) as TB's favorite targets.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, it a simple thing...............

When Gronk was healthy, everyone paid strict attention to him and Edelman. Amendola was the forgotten man, especially in the Red Zone. No one paid attention to Hogan Sunday because they all too worried about Edelman and Bennett. Hogan was totally ignored by the Steelers and they could never adjust to covering him.

I'm telling you, the Falcons will play man to man on Hogan with a safety over the top. Edelman will be in the slot catching 13 short passes. Bennett will be taking linebackers across the seam. Floyd will be active and will be routing the post taking a CB with him. Malcolm Mitchell will be the forgotten man and he'll catch 11 passes for 160 yds and 3 TDs. The Falcons will try to switch up on him and Blount will run the clock out.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Gronk was healthy, everyone paid strict attention to him and Edelman. Amendola was the forgotten man, especially in the Red Zone. No one paid attention to Hogan Sunday because they all too worried about Edelman and Bennett. Hogan was totally ignored by the Steelers and they could never adjust to covering him.

I'm telling you, the Falcons will play man to man on Hogan with a safety over the top. Edelman will be in the slot catching 13 short passes. Bennett will be taking linebackers across the seam. Floyd will be active and will be routing the post taking a CB with him. Malcolm Mitchell will be the forgotten man and he'll catch 11 passes for 160 yds and 3 TDs. The Falcons will try to switch up on him and Blount will run the clock out.

I don't get how after halftime the Steelers didn't make the adjustment and actually cover Hogan. Don't get me wrong I am glad they didn't. Don't see the Falcons doing this... Flick Flicker isn't going to work

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get how after halftime the Steelers didn't make the adjustment and actually cover Hogan. Don't get me wrong I am glad they didn't. Don't see the Falcons doing this... Flick Flicker isn't going to work

Guys, everyone was open. Pitt was playing 10 yards off. Watch the game again. DA was open several times. Shit, MM was wide open for a couple TDs.

Watch out for MM next year.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, everyone was open. Pitt was playing 10 yards off. Watch the game again. DA was open several times. Shit, MM was wide open for a couple TDs.

Watch out for MM next year.

next yr, i'm thinking next week.