• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hockey Hall of Fame candidates

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilmour? I know Canada loves the guy (esp Grapes) but the HOF?

Gilmour has over 1500 career points(regular season and playoffs) and a Cup ring. That is more than the greatest Sabres player of all time Gilbert Perrault had. Granted Dougie played more games, but a point a game for over 20 years of NHL service. Not to mention one of the best leaders ever.

What's so hard to understand?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it boils down to two things for Hockey Hall of Fame induction:

1) You need to be at the top or top 3 in the league for a minimum of four seasons to warrant consideration or

2) You need to put up fantastic numbers over a long (i.e. 10+ year) career.

I just don't see Vinny meeting either of those criteria, comeds. He may be short-listed one year, but I don't think he'll ever get the nod.

Oh I know he'll never get in. I am probably not being objective but I sincerely think he is comparable with some players and better than some other players who will get in.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know he'll never get in. I am probably not being objective but I sincerely think he is comparable with some players and better than some other players who will get in.

If it helps, I have a Damphouse rookie card propped up next to some candles in my Chris Osgood for HHOF voodoo shrine.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilmour has over 1500 career points(regular season and playoffs) and a Cup ring. That is more than the greatest Sabres player of all time Gilbert Perrault had. Granted Dougie played more games, but a point a game for over 20 years of NHL service. Not to mention one of the best leaders ever.

What's so hard to understand?

Lets start and with the fact Gilbert Perrault started in his first year with an expansion team. Won ROY and HELPed get his team to the SCF in five years. Also if you had had a choice, in their prime what player would you pick?

If you would take Gilmour you're a complete homer.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it helps, I have a Damphouse rookie card propped up next to some candles in my Chris Osgood for HHOF voodoo shrine.

It does, very much. Hearing that now tomorrow my Monday will not be so Mondayish.

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets start and with the fact Gilbert Perrault started in his first year with an expansion team. Won ROY and HELPed get his team to the SCF in five years. Also if you had had a choice, in their prime what player would you pick?

If you would take Gilmour you're a complete homer.

Clearly you didn't see the state the Leafs were in when he was traded there. His and Burns' arrival immediately ushered in a new era in Toronto that hadn't been seen there since the 60's. He strapped the Leafs on his back in 1993 until it was undone the almighty Gretzky and Kerry Fraser.

And yes, if I had a choice, I would pick Dougie in a heartbeat. Of course, I saw a lot more of Gilmour's career than I did Perrault's so I have to go with what I know first hand.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only in the NHL but in most sports I think we have lowered the bar for HOF considerations. JMO

I'm with you on this Boss.

I kinda wish they could just scale back some years. If there's not really a worthy class, don't induct so many guys and have flexibility for those years where there's a class that's just that good.

Burns and Niewey this year and done for me.

Couple other guys I think should get in eventually but shouldn't have the honor of first term ballots simply because they showed up in a weak-ish year.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't discount the 'Toronto' factor as well - All four guys I bolded in the original post either played or coached for the Maple Leafs.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Belfour
Pavel Bure
Guy Carbonneau
Theoren Fleury
Doug Gilmour
Phil Housley
Mark Howe
John LeClair
Eric Lindros
Kevin Lowe
Joe Nieuwendyk
Pat Burns

I wouldn't vote for Belfour because he is a whiner.

Lindros would have gotten my vote, if he would have went to Que'bec. If he does get in, he should wear an Avalance Sweater, because they received a Stanley Cup in exchange for him.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that Bure is up for debate. He was one of the most exciting players in the world during his prime.

I can't stand Lindros, and loved sitting 40 feet away when Darius Kasparaitis knocked him out, but he'll get in. He was in the top-tier of the league during the 14 hours that he was healthy.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player wise, no class will compare to 07. Mark Messier, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis and Scott Stevens is as good as it gets.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player wise, no class will compare to 07. Mark Messier, Ron Francis, Al MacInnis and Scott Stevens is as good as it gets.

It's long past time that the Flames officially retire MacInnis' jersey (nobody has worn #2 for Calgary since Al left) . I know Al is closely tied to the St. Louis Blues organization and they have honored up with his jersey to the rafters (I think they put up a statue as well), but he put up some great numbers with the Flames and should be given the honour of seeing his jersey raised to the rafters.

Come on Ken King et al, do the right thing.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ed Belfour- one of the most polarizing names on the list. Lots of guys hate him and lots of guys love him. Will get in maybe this year or next, who knows with the voters. His #'s are good enough.
Pavel Bure- Dynamic and awesome to watch. Great in his prime but does he have enough overall for the hall? Borderline, imo.
Guy Carbonneau- A very good player but not HOF good.
Theoren Fleury- Same as above. Feisty little buggar, though.
Doug Gilmour- Will probably get in. A great leader and big game money player. Helped bring the Leafs back to being relevant in the 90's. I can't put him in the conversation with Perreault, though. Not a slight to Doug, either.
Phil Housley- Probably should get some consideration (Highest scoring American born D-man and all that) but too much like Paul Coffey defensively for me. I don't know, I'll have to think about it more, I guess.
Mark Howe- I wish people would put aside the fact he's Gordie's son and take a long hard look at Mark. Imo, he deserves to be in the hall on his own merit.
John LeClair- See Carboneau and Fleury above.
Eric Lindros- It's really too bad we didn't get to see the guy really stay on the ice enough to live up to the hype. A great and dynamic talent but without the hype, he's probably a no-doubter. Kind of a weird situation. I'm kinda on the fence with Eric.
Kevin Lowe- As a player, he probably falls into that very good category as well but I also think he is vastly underrated in some respects because of playing on that Oilers team.
Joe Nieuwendyk- No question, a lock imo.
Pat Burns- A lock anyway, but especially now that he passed away.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilmour, Niewendyk, Howe and Burns get my vote.

Belfour will probably get in, but not on my watch!!!