• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heisman Front Runner

Who is the Heisman Front Runner

• Tua Tagovailoa

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Jalen Hurts

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Justin Fields

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Jonathan Taylor

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Joe Burrow

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other...but not Potato Salad

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor was eliminated last week, in only rushing for 80 yds against Sparty.

He'd have needed at least 100 yds rushing in every game to have had a chance.

However, Wisconsin hasn't been playing to win Taylor the Heisman, they've been playing to win the Big 10.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, Wisconsin hasn't been playing to win Taylor the Heisman, they've been playing to win the Big 10.
A couple of 150 to 200 games against the right people would get him right back in the mix.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still going with Feleipe Franks.

tenor.gif

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s a very amateurish view.

He’s been slowed down a couple of times, but his team won both games comfortably (38-0 in that instance). But that happens when a defense puts 8-9 in the box to stop the run.

He’s still helping his team win, because it’s his presence in the backfield that forces defenses to do that and opens up the passing game.

I’m with others who said that if he’s not in the conversation so far, let’s just make this a QB award and be done with it.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He’s been slowed down a couple of times, but his team won both games comfortably (38-0 in that instance). But that happens when a defense puts 8-9 in the box to stop the run.

He’s still helping his team win, because it’s his presence in the backfield that forces defenses to do that and opens up the passing game.

I’m with others who said that if he’s not in the conversation so far, let’s just make this a QB award and be done with it.
It is for now, but that worm will eventually turn too. FWIW, Troy Davis from Iowa State became the first running back to run for 2,000 yards (in an 11 game season) to not win the Heisman in 1995 (finished 5th) and the first back to back 2,000 yard rusher (in 11 games) to not win the Heisman in 1996 (finished 2nd). He did this in a League known for great running backs at the time. Also, he didn't win the Doak Walker either year! Just bad timing on his part, but he was the start of the McCarney Era - which helped Iowa State get out of the two decade funk they were in. He made Iowa State football fun again! Enjoy Taylor and what might be a magical Badger year remembered forever!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough, Babs.

Derrick Henry in 2015 had 4 games where he did not rush for 100 yds or more.
NCAA Statistics

Mark Ingram in 2009 had 5 games where he did not rush for 100 yds or more.
Mark Ingram 2009 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

FWIW I've probably been the only 'non Wisconsin fan' that's had them in my Top 5 since week 2. I'd have them in my Top 3 right now.
I've said repeatedly that this is not the same 'between the tackles' Wisconsin we've all grown accustomed to the past 10 years. They've been closer than anybody to being in the same elite league as Bama, Clemson, tOSU, and Oklahoma than anybody. They've only been missing the diverse offense element. They now have an open playbook with Coan and WR's

My point that "Wisconsin hasn't been playing to win Taylor the Heisman, they've been playing to win the Big 10" seems to have gone right over your head.
If their goal was to simply win Taylor the Heisman he'd have 200 yds per game right now. He is capable of it. However, their aspirations are higher than that, and they've been playing week to week to become a much better all around offense.
The type of offense they're going to need to beat Ohio St and compete in the CFP.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see how they could keep Jonathan Taylor out of the conversation. He has 11 tds thru 3 games and is on pace to break 2,000 yards again on the ground and already set a career high in receptions this year thru 4 games.
Here is another point, both running backs and QBs need really good offensive lines to succeed. But QB need at least 2 and usually 3 other top players (the receivers) to succeed. When Taylor breaks a 50 yard run, once pass the line he is on his own.
A five yard crossing pattern or screen pass that goes for 50 yards is much less on the QB than on the receiver.

Teams can load up on a running back, but have to spread to cover 3 top receivers. Even running QBs have the advantage of yards gained when the defense is in man to man on 3rd and longer. I have never seen defenders running away from back after he clears the line. At that point he is on his own, speed and moves.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

That and the fact that Tua consistently has to play against better defenses.

Given that criteria, Fields should be at the top of the list since the best defenses this year are in the B1G.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of crazy how last season, many were saying Trevor Lawrence this season for Heisman. Now, the ACC is down a peg or two, and wow, so is T. Lawrence.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right Now I think ESPN has it right.

1.Burrow
2. Tua
3. Hurts

That is ridiculous. OU fans were getting pissed at Hurts this weekend. He is was the biggest reason it was only a 7 pt game. He is exactly what he was at Bama. He is a good runner and if his 1st read isnt there he is not very good. He threw 12 passes to CD for 10 catches and 171 yards. He was 6 -16 for 64 yards to everyone else. CD is easily the best player on the team. It isnt even close.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is ridiculous. OU fans were getting pissed at Hurts this weekend. He is was the biggest reason it was only a 7 pt game. He is exactly what he was at Bama. He is a good runner and if his 1st read isnt there he is not very good. He threw 12 passes to CD for 10 catches and 171 yards. He was 6 -16 for 64 yards to everyone else. CD is easily the best player on the team. It isnt even close.
I’ve only watched 2 or 3 of his games but at Bama he was Either Calvin Ridley is open or I’m running it. Is he CeeDee Lamb or run at OU?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve only watched 2 or 3 of his games but at Bama he was Either Calvin Ridley is open or I’m running it. Is he CeeDee Lamb or run at OU?

not always CD, but it is pretty much the first read. The difference is Riley is a lot more creative, than Bama was. He is pretty much more creative, than everyone else. Riley is a great offensive mind. He doesn’t ask his QBs to do too much and always has a game plan that fits their skill set. Hurts struggles when you ask him to do high level QB things, it’s why Tua beat him out. I don’t see a change in his game at this point of the season

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

That and the fact that Tua consistently has to play against better defenses.

Didn't seem to hurt Baker and Kyler much playing worse defenses. That has absolutely nothing to do with it actually.

Reactions: gob

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, as soon as he plays a good or great defense he will have to rely on his legs more than ever

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't seem to hurt Baker and Kyler much playing worse defenses. That has absolutely nothing to do with it actually.
at some point, I think it'll factor in