• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heady Topper

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A friend/co-worker of mine had some beer brought back from the Northeast (through a family member of his) and the other day he presented me a can of Heady Topper. I was pretty damned excited. It will be the first one I have had and gonna share it with my bro over the Xmas Holiday. The can says to "drink out of the can" and not a glass?? Something about the hop resins, etc. Any suggestions on this??

Jerry also brought me a bomber of Switchback Ale which I have already drank. Pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bro and I drank this bitch the other day. It is totally as good as advertised. Probably the most flavorful IPA I have ever had. They must use a ton of flavoring/dry hops. If anyone ever runs into this stuff along your travels , then do yourself a favor and get as much of it as the establishment will allow.

My buddy who brought it to me said that his source (apparently an old friend who owns a store in the NE) said that people call him and aggravate the total shit out of him about this stuff...."Hey man, you have any Heady Topper in??" Multiple times a day...

I have looked a bit to find a clone recipe or kit and will keep looking. Most of what I have found says they use 1lb+ of hops per 5 gallon batch...some of what I have read also says that harvesting the yeast is a good start...

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have never even seen this except in pictures on the interweb. Sounds amazing. I think I am in the minority, but the best IIPA I have ever had is Great Lakes Alchemy Hour. However, I will with hold my opinion until I get this years batch. I could be biased due to the fact that it tastes nothing like all the other IPA/IIPA's I have had. It is the only one I have had that truely tastes like mango/passion fruit. Not that I am a huge fan of those fruits in general, but it is a great shift from the grapefruit, lemon, pine flavors.

I am also thinking of taking a trip to Munster, Indiana in late April for Dark Lord Day. Sounds like an amazing time.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had more than a few Heady Toppers in the last year+ and you're in for a treat. It's a great beer. The part about drinking out of the can could be true. I drink all my other beer out of glasses but I've leaned toward drinking Heady the way they suggest, though I've poured it a few times too.

There are a lot of resins and hop oils in Heady and it's reasonable to think you could be leaving some behind by pouring into a glass, but IMO you're just pouring into your face instead so there probably isn't much of a difference. The kicker though is that with all those resins and particles that make Heady so delicious floating around, the beer itself isn't particularly pretty to look at from some people's point of view. I personally couldn't care less how a beer looks as long as it tastes good. This though may have some part in why they have the drink out of the can ploy.

Either way though, enjoy that baby soon because your fresh IPAs like that don't last forever. They'll fade quickly and lose a lot of that hop punch.

Cheers

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My bro and I drank this bitch the other day. It is totally as good as advertised. Probably the most flavorful IPA I have ever had. They must use a ton of flavoring/dry hops. If anyone ever runs into this stuff along your travels , then do yourself a favor and get as much of it as the establishment will allow.

My buddy who brought it to me said that his source (apparently an old friend who owns a store in the NE) said that people call him and aggravate the total shit out of him about this stuff...."Hey man, you have any Heady Topper in??" Multiple times a day...

I have looked a bit to find a clone recipe or kit and will keep looking. Most of what I have found says they use 1lb+ of hops per 5 gallon batch...some of what I have read also says that harvesting the yeast is a good start...

A place by me sells a clone extract or all grain kit for this. Most expensive kit I've seen, about $90 for extract and 70 for AG. They are Keystone Hombrew and you can order online and have it shipped to you.

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/heady-topper-beer-ingredient-kit.html

Last edited by a moderator: