• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has an 8 seed ever eliminated the defending champ?

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just wondering if I can do a payback "Pens make history" thread should the Habs win game 7.

So funny, the egg shell approach on this board. Not one thread about the Habs forcing game 7.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they win tomorrow Halak will probably become a god in montreal. He will be like the zeus of Canadian mythology :)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confucious say:

Egg shells only need to be walked on when people keep cracking them. :)

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If they win tomorrow Halak will probably become a god in montreal. He will be like the zeus of Canadian mythology :)

I think he's already up there in status. It's not just him though. The habs play a strong defensive game in front of him. The amount of shots they block is incredible.

I'm not shocked the habs have forced a game 7. I was with the Caps, just because the Caps had a 3-1 lead. I thought the Caps would be able to win at least 1 of 3 games to take the series.

The Habs are definitely the feel good story of the playoffs. Their fans deserve it. Prior to this year's playoff, they had lost a LOT of playoff games in a row..something like 8 or maybe more.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Confucious say:

Egg shells only need to be walked on when people keep cracking them. :)

This is huge news. The Habs taking the defending champs to game 7 should be discussed a bit more, IMO. Of course, leave it to me to rock the boat. i'm sure my fellow Caps buddies will be on to berate me before long.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With every game the canadiens win the caps gain more credibility for losing to them. This team is just flat out better than most people thought before the postseason.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is huge news. The Habs taking the defending champs to game 7 should be discussed a bit more, IMO. Of course, leave it to me to rock the boat. i'm sure my fellow Caps buddies will be on to berate me before long.

Roolz, good on ya for starting this thread, Habs knock out the President Trophy's winner and are one game away from eliminating the defending Stanley Cup Champions, if they pull it off, it is fantastic stuff and a great story.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone finds the answer to that question, let us know. I know I won't get bent out of shape if the Pens actually do make history in this case, at least no more bent out of shape than I already would be if we lose.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If anyone finds the answer to that question, let us know. I know I won't get bent out of shape if the Pens actually do make history in this case, at least no more bent out of shape than I already would be if we lose.

If the Pens do lose, they really have nothing to be ashamed of. The series has been really tight. The Habs are maybe playing above thier head a bit, and the Pens playing sub-par, but I'd be pretty shocked if the Pens do lose game 7.

The Pens have shown they have the ability to turn it on when they really need it. They really need it, and I'm sure, playing at home, they'll find a way to get it done.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With every game the canadiens win the caps gain more credibility for losing to them. This team is just flat out better than most people thought before the postseason.

I was dreading playing the Habs in the playoffs based on the way they played the Caps in the regular season.

Should the Caps have won? I think so, especially since they had a 3-1 lead. All I can do is tip my cap, and wish them well.

I expected them to play the Pens tough, but i gotta admit, I didn't expect to see game 7. Bonus hockey for all...and maybe a little extra work and job security for cardiologists in the Pittsburgh area.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pens do lose, they really have nothing to be ashamed of. The series has been really tight. The Habs are maybe playing above thier head a bit,

This is why I don't think there has been a thread about this, yet. I don't feel any shame in how the Penguins have been playing. It's not for a lack of effort on their part. It's been a ultra competitive series. Through six games, neither team has been able to string together back to back wins.

Habs won games 2,4 and 6.

Pens won games 1,3 and 5.

I wouldn't call it egg shells we are walking on. Unless of course you enjoy reading the run of the mill "LOL PENS loZE.... TROLL TROLL TROOLLL" threads. When I left that hole in the ground with the putrid stink, I've never looked back.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the Pens do lose, they really have nothing to be ashamed of. The series has been really tight. The Habs are maybe playing above thier head a bit,

This is why I don't think there has been a thread about this, yet. I don't feel any shame in how the Penguins have been playing. It's not for a lack of effort on their part. It's been a ultra competitive series. Through six games, neither team has been able to string together back to back wins.

Habs won games 2,4 and 6.

Pens won games 1,3 and 5.

I wouldn't call it egg shells we are walking on. Unless of course you enjoy reading the run of the mill "LOL PENS loZE.... TROLL TROLL TROOLLL" threads. When I left that hole in the ground with the putrid stink, I've never looked back.

Fitting the Caps get beat by the Habs in 7 games, but now that the Pens are struggling, and find themselves in a game 7 of their own, now the habs are legit...I guess that makes sense tho

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitting the Caps get beat by the Habs in 7 games, but now that the Pens are struggling, and find themselves in a game 7 of their own, now the habs are legit...I guess that makes sense tho

That's strictly your opinion of it. Like I said before, I don't think the Pens have anything to be ashamed about in the way they are playing, and I certainly don't think they are struggling. This series has been hard fought for 60 minutes in every game.

I think that the Caps took a little more punishment for their series loss for two reasons... one, they had a three games to one lead and couldn't get it done in three straight games.

Two, they were the overall #1 seed entering the playoffs, and no one in their right minds predicted them going out in the first round.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's strictly your opinion of it. Like I said before, I don't think the Pens have anything to be ashamed about in the way they are playing, and I certainly don't think they are struggling. This series has been hard fought for 60 minutes in every game.

I think that the Caps took a little more punishment for their series loss for two reasons... one, they had a three games to one lead and couldn't get it done in three straight games.

Two, they were the overall #1 seed entering the playoffs, and no one in their right minds predicted them going out in the first round.

One is legit.. They definitely should have been able to win one of the remaining games of the 3...regardless of what Halal did.

Two is a bit bogus. All I heard after the Caps won the president's trophy was that it was 100% meaningless.. of course that is until you lose to an 8 seed in the first round. I do get that it was a big upset.

If it was a big upset in losing to an 8 seed as the team that won the presidents trophy, how much less of an upset is it losing to the same 8 seed as the defending cup champs.

Let me apologize to habs fans now for more than likely jinxing them to lose.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One is legit.. They definitely should have been able to win one of the remaining games of the 3...regardless of what Halal did.

Two is a bit bogus. All I heard after the Caps won the president's trophy was that it was 100% meaningless.. of course that is until you lose to an 8 seed in the first round. I do get that it was a big upset.

If it was a big upset in losing to an 8 seed as the team that won the presidents trophy, how much less of an upset is it losing to the same 8 seed as the defending cup champs.

Let me apologize to habs fans now for more than likely jinxing them to lose.

You're comparing a team from this season to a team from a previous year. Things change awfully fast in the NHL these days with the salary cap. I'm not going to argue that the Penguins don't have high expectations placed upon them from the media and the fans of the NHL by being the defending champs, but it's pretty safe to say that in the 2009-10 season, there were probably 6 or seven teams in the league who had better seasons than Pittsburgh... the Caps were obviously one of those 6 teams. I'd also put the Devils, Canucks, Blackhawks, Coyotes and even Detroit and Buffalo above them from the way the regular season shook out.

If Montreal pulls off the upset tomorrow, it will be a tough loss to take, but I'll also know... barring a complete collapse by the pens in gm 7, that they gave it all they had.

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you mean no "experts" predicted they would go out. People who know hockey know anything is possible in the Stanley Cup playoffs since all it takes is a hot goalie for a much less talented team to move on.

I said the series would go 6 or 7 games. Fact is that Montreal was a bad matchup for the Caps, just like ALL the lower seeds were for the Eastern teams, which is why you saw 3 of the 4 higher seeds go out in the first. I think the "experts" looked at this matchup and saw Prez Trophy vs. limped in to playoffs rather than looking at how the teams had played each other during the year.

Either way, if Pittsburgh loses (which I don't think they will), it would be equally disappointing and shocking. Caps were better during the season, but the Pens have more playoff experience than anyone in the East and have made the Finals two straight years.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not going to, but the way you phrased the thread title and talking about "payback" in your OP, you should understand why some people see you the way they do. Just food for thought.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you mean no "experts" predicted they would go out. People who know hockey know anything is possible in the Stanley Cup playoffs since all it takes is a hot goalie for a much less talented team to move on.

No, I stand by my original statement. NHL fans, experts, pundits, trailer park trash, trannies... heck even Capital/Ovechkin haters wouldn't have predicted the Caps to go out in round one. Not with the season they had. Not when they were a freight train running through the Eastern conference all season long.

Hot goalie or not, Washington had more goals scored than any team in the past 10-15 years, if I'm not mistaken. When the Caps went up 3 games to 1, it appeared as if it was a forgone conclusion that it was over, and that is why everyone was stunned to see the Caps go down.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For my part, I'm a little less forgiving of the Penguins' plan in this series. I don't think they've done enough to get Halak off his game. They've gotten some net presence, but it hasn't been consistent enough, and they haven't really wreaked havoc with that presence. They need to bump him, just a little bit, every few shifts. Just drift slowly backward into him. He'll start thinking.

I also don't think they've put together a full 60-minute game, especially defensively. Montreal's a fast team, and they're using it well, but the Penguins need to recognize that and slow them down. And not turn the puck over in the neutral zone or at the blue lines. There's been too much of that in this series for the Penguins, and it's led to goals almost every time.

As far as the Capitals taking more punishment, I think it's simply shock factor. Had the Penguins won this series handily, it would have been viewed as either a flukey upset or the Capitals choking. But because the Canadiens won that series before playing the Penguins, fans are a little more conditioned to the Canadiens maybe actually being legitimate contenders.

Plus Halak has continued to play god-like hockey.