• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harden lands in Brooklyn

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer look at the Houston side of things

don’t think they did as well as originally thought

in volume you see a million picks, all most likely in the 20’s, where you’re lucky to get a bench piece

I love how Indiana and Cleveland did
4 extra first round picks even in the 20s on top of their own first round picks gives them plenty of ammo to make moves....

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
137631519_10225549143940270_5955717213764255477_n.jpg

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 extra first round picks even in the 20s on top of their own first round picks gives them plenty of ammo to make moves....
And by 2023-2024 those 1st rounders from BK could be really good if they are rebuilding.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are still early days and they went through some Covid issues early on. Harden was clearly a drag on the team as well.

If the Wall and Dipo can co-exist, which I think they could, and Wood continues to play at the level he is playing at, I think the Rockets could be a playin team.
Plus Gordon and Cousins (if he can stay healthy).....they could be a 7-8 seed.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could, but they are currently the second worst record in the West with Harden. Is Motivated Olidipo more valuable than out of shape Harden? maybe, but if so not by much. Wall has knee soreness, which for him is a horrible sign. I think it more likely they get close to keeping their pick in this draft than they do make the playoffs.

Not making the playoffs and not getting a top 4 pick is their nightmare scenario.
Oladipo is in a contract year and more of a team player than Harden.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone doubted that CP3 and Harden could co exist in the same backcourt. They made it work pretty well.

Worked so well, CP3 was gone after 2 seasons.

Now, Kyrie is a different animal, but IMO, I think he could make an amazing 6th man.

He thinks he's the leader and it's his team...good luck with that.

D’Antoni made it work and Steve Nash can probably recreate that success with the two guards.

D'Antoni made it work with Nash because Nash was far more interested in passing the ball than in scoring. That is not Harden or World B. Flat. KD is more likely to be interested in assists than those 2 and he left GSW because he wasn't happy with his touches.

Additionally, World B. Flat and Harden haven't exactly shown themselves to be great teammates. Harden couldn't make it work with Dwight, CP3 or Westbrook. Meanwhile, WBF couldn't make it work with Lebron despite making the finals every season and it's started being reported that the stuff he was pulling in Boston when he decided he didn't want to be there was a good bit worse than has even been reported.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worked so well, CP3 was gone after 2 seasons.

He thinks he's the leader and it's his team...good luck with that.

D'Antoni made it work with Nash because Nash was far more interested in passing the ball than in scoring. That is not Harden or World B. Flat. KD is more likely to be interested in assists than those 2 and he left GSW because he wasn't happy with his touches.

Additionally, World B. Flat and Harden haven't exactly shown themselves to be great teammates. Harden couldn't make it work with Dwight, CP3 or Westbrook. Meanwhile, WBF couldn't make it work with Lebron despite making the finals every season and it's started being reported that the stuff he was pulling in Boston when he decided he didn't want to be there was a good bit worse than has even been reported.
Disagree. CP3 was gone because of his age and injury history. Had he stayed healthy in year 1, the Rockets probably make it to the finals.

Also, if Kyrie thought it was his team with KD there, then he’s crazy and needs to go anyway. You can get some nice pieces trading his dumbass. Sounds like your argument is Kyrie is the reason this trade sucks. Kyrie would still be a cancer without Harden. At least harden is a lot better and Kyrie can be traded for some 3 and D guys required to win a title. They could probably recoup some of those picks they traded as well.

I always thought OKC should’ve traded RW. He’s too ball dominant and not efficient enough. Harden and KD is a dangerous duo that can beat you in just about every way possible. Surround them with three point shooters and defenders and you have a title contender.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if Kyrie thought it was his team with KD there, then he’s crazy and needs to go anyway.

He is crazy, but he thinks he's a leader and KD isn't a leader.

ounds like your argument is Kyrie is the reason this trade sucks. Kyrie would still be a cancer without Harden. At least harden is a lot better and Kyrie can be traded for some 3 and D guys required to win a title. They could probably recoup some of those picks they traded as well.

This trade sucks because the pieces don't fit. KD needs the ball a lot. Touches are why he left GSW after he won 2 rings and 2 finals MVP's. Now he's paired with 2 guards who are ball dominant, iso players who like to dribble out the clock looking for their shot before passing late in the clock if they can't get their shot off. You can't have 3 stars and just divvy up the shots.

3 stars worked in Miami because Lebron shares the ball and Bosh was willing to sacrifice shots and being the #1 guy for rings. Kevin Love made the same sacrifice in Cleveland and it worked for the same reason. But Kyrie left as soon as he got a ring because he thought he should be the #1.

Who is going to play the Bosh/Love role?

I always thought OKC should’ve traded RW. He’s too ball dominant and not efficient enough. Harden and KD is a dangerous duo that can beat you in just about every way possible. Surround them with three point shooters and defenders and you have a title contender.

Have you seen Harden play. He is as, if not more, ball dominant than Westbrook. KD and Harden is unlikely to work for the same reason KD and Westbrook didn't.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is crazy, but he thinks he's a leader and KD isn't a leader.

This trade sucks because the pieces don't fit. KD needs the ball a lot. Touches are why he left GSW after he won 2 rings and 2 finals MVP's. Now he's paired with 2 guards who are ball dominant, iso players who like to dribble out the clock looking for their shot before passing late in the clock if they can't get their shot off. You can't have 3 stars and just divvy up the shots.

3 stars worked in Miami because Lebron shares the ball and Bosh was willing to sacrifice shots and being the #1 guy for rings. Kevin Love made the same sacrifice in Cleveland and it worked for the same reason. But Kyrie left as soon as he got a ring because he thought he should be the #1.

Who is going to play the Bosh/Love role?

Have you seen Harden play. He is as, if not more, ball dominant than Westbrook. KD and Harden is unlikely to work for the same reason KD and Westbrook didn't.
I am curious as to how you thought the Miami big three would work. Everyone thought that would fail too.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,966.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. CP3 was gone because of his age and injury history. Had he stayed healthy in year 1, the Rockets probably make it to the finals.

Also, if Kyrie thought it was his team with KD there, then he’s crazy and needs to go anyway. You can get some nice pieces trading his dumbass. Sounds like your argument is Kyrie is the reason this trade sucks. Kyrie would still be a cancer without Harden. At least harden is a lot better and Kyrie can be traded for some 3 and D guys required to win a title. They could probably recoup some of those picks they traded as well.

You're wrong.

CP was gone because he and Harden couldn't work just like Harden and RW couldn't and so on.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious as to how you thought the Miami big three would work. Everyone thought that would fail too.

I wasn't sure that it would work when it first happened, but then figured it could because of Lebron being willing to share the ball and Bosh being willing to take a backseat.

Bosh was always the key. Lebron and D-Wade were always going to figure out how to make it work between them. D-Wade already had experience playing alongside a superstar and won a title with Shaq. Plus, he and Lebron were very good friends. Bosh was always going to be the one who had to sacrifice the most. His willingness to do that is huge part of why it worked.

Even with all of that going for them, it still almost didn't work. It took not winning the title in their first year and D-Wade being smart enough to understand that Lebron was the better player and allowing him to lead for it to finally work.

The Nets don't really have any of that except for KD and World B. Flat apparently being friends and KD won a title alongside other stars.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't sure that it would work when it first happened, but then figured it could because of Lebron being willing to share the ball and Bosh being willing to take a backseat.

Bosh was always the key. Lebron and D-Wade were always going to figure out how to make it work between them. D-Wade already had experience playing alongside a superstar and won a title with Shaq. Plus, he and Lebron were very good friends. Bosh was always going to be the one who had to sacrifice the most. His willingness to do that is huge part of why it worked.

Even with all of that going for them, it still almost didn't work. It took not winning the title in their first year and D-Wade being smart enough to understand that Lebron was the better player and allowing him to lead for it to finally work.

The Nets don't really have any of that except for KD and World B. Flat apparently being friends and KD won a title alongside other stars.
I think Talent will win out. The nets may not win a title this year, but I think they clearly drastically improved their chances with this trade. I bet Giannis isn’t happy with it.

In professional sports, you usually have a window of competing. The nets window will shut when KD slows down. Bringing in harden is an attempt to maximize the talent on the roster while their window is open. I think it’s a good move. Before it, I don’t think they had a chance to beat the bucks or celtics in a series. Now, I think they have more talent on their roster and if they gel, they could be the best in the nba. You can’t be picky when a superstar like Harden is on the market.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie's should get about 35 shots a week, 14 of them lithium.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Talent will win out. The nets may not win a title this year, but I think they clearly drastically improved their chances with this trade. I bet Giannis isn’t happy with it.

They will likely win a lot in the regular season because they can go out on any random Wednesday night and simply "out-talent" just about any team they play.

But in the playoffs, when the game slows down and defense becomes more important, that's where they are likely to fail because they were already a bad defensive team and this trade makes them worse.

They will win a lot of 135-130 type games. That's fine in the regular season...not so much in the playoffs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In professional sports, you usually have a window of competing. The nets window will shut when KD slows down. Bringing in harden is an attempt to maximize the talent on the roster while their window is open. I think it’s a good move. Before it, I don’t think they had a chance to beat the bucks or celtics in a series. Now, I think they have more talent on their roster and if they gel, they could be the best in the nba. You can’t be picky when a superstar like Harden is on the market.

That's all well and good, but fit matters and unless they can figure out how to make 2 ball dominant guards and a forward who wants the ball a lot and is the best player on the team happy with their touches and credit...these pieces don't fit.

Maybe they can make it work. But I don't see anything in any of their histories that shows me it will.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will likely win a lot in the regular season because they can go out on any random Wednesday night and simply "out-talent" just about any team they play.

But in the playoffs, when the game slows down and defense becomes more important, that's where they are likely to fail because they were already a bad defensive team and this trade makes them worse.

They will win a lot of 135-130 type games. That's fine in the regular season...not so much in the playoffs.
I used to agree about the defense point you made, but offense rules the nba now. We will have to wait and see how they do.