• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

gruden sending a message to danny too?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, there’s no mistaking what the first-year head coach thinks about Griffin.

“Robert had some fundamental flaws,” Gruden said of Griffin’s game Sunday in a 27-7 loss to Tampa Bay. “His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three, on a couple occasions, and that can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up and stepped into pressure. He read the wrong side of the field a couple times. So from his basic performance just critiquing Robert it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from the quarterback position.”

[+] EnlargeRGIII, Jay Gruden
John McDonnell/The Washington Post/Getty Images
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Robert Griffen's performance Sunday "was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from the quarterback position."
Yikes.

It’s curious to hear a coach say all of that out loud -- and it makes you wonder why Gruden did so. One interpretation: He’s not sold on Griffin and is not only sending a message to him that he must improve a lot, but also to owner Dan Snyder. That there are six games left to improve basic fundamentals and, if that doesn’t happen, then perhaps the Redskins need to make hard choices. Yes, Griffin has been a marketing machine for Snyder because of his popularity. But after three years fans want results; there were a lot of empty seats late in Sunday’s loss and more will follow down the stretch.

It’s worth noting that Gruden did not speak as harshly about Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, even after bad performances.

Maybe this is a last-ditch effort by Gruden to prompt change. I don’t know. But I know public statements like this are unusual, at the least.

doesnt sound like a puppet to me :whistle:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, there’s no mistaking what the first-year head coach thinks about Griffin.

“Robert had some fundamental flaws,” Gruden said of Griffin’s game Sunday in a 27-7 loss to Tampa Bay. “His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three, on a couple occasions, and that can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up and stepped into pressure. He read the wrong side of the field a couple times. So from his basic performance just critiquing Robert it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from the quarterback position.”

[+] EnlargeRGIII, Jay Gruden
John McDonnell/The Washington Post/Getty Images
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Robert Griffen's performance Sunday "was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from the quarterback position."
Yikes.

It’s curious to hear a coach say all of that out loud -- and it makes you wonder why Gruden did so. One interpretation: He’s not sold on Griffin and is not only sending a message to him that he must improve a lot, but also to owner Dan Snyder. That there are six games left to improve basic fundamentals and, if that doesn’t happen, then perhaps the Redskins need to make hard choices. Yes, Griffin has been a marketing machine for Snyder because of his popularity. But after three years fans want results; there were a lot of empty seats late in Sunday’s loss and more will follow down the stretch.

It’s worth noting that Gruden did not speak as harshly about Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, even after bad performances.

Maybe this is a last-ditch effort by Gruden to prompt change. I don’t know. But I know public statements like this are unusual, at the least.

doesnt sound like a puppet to me :whistle:

Anything that follows this is a joke, so don't take it seriously.

Complete CSI stuff here huh Dad? There is no evidence that Gruden was directing that at Snyder. Show me where Gruden mentioned Snyder. I want evidence, not rumors or suppositions. Reading something into what was said is just speculation. BTW: We don't know that Snyder has been using Griffin as a marketing tool, he's never said so publicly and I'll believe it when there is hard evidence that supports it coming directly from Dan Snyder.......enough with the CSI stuff!!!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything that follows this is a joke, so don't take it seriously.

Complete CSI stuff here huh Dad? There is no evidence that Gruden was directing that at Snyder. Show me where Gruden mentioned Snyder. I want evidence, not rumors or suppositions. Reading something into what was said is just speculation. BTW: We don't know that Snyder has been using Griffin as a marketing tool, he's never said so publicly and I'll believe it when there is hard evidence that supports it coming directly from Dan Snyder.......enough with the CSI stuff!!!

:lol: Good one, Sty.....

In reality, this is just who Gruden is. He doesn't have many filters. But I do think there is a message there. The message is Gruden isn't going to let his ship sink with Griffin. He's thrown it out there for all to see. The King has no clothes on. I personally find it refreshing. This might actually be the beginning of a true rebuild.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree, I love a coach who speaks his mind. Maybe it will be the kick in the ass the players need.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree, I love a coach who speaks his mind. Maybe it will be the kick in the ass the players need.

I don't think the players need a kick in the ass. They need to have confidence that their leadership A) knows how to put them in position to succeed and B) has the balls to be willing to do that even if its the unpopular choice.

The players need confidence that their efforts will be rewarded, not wasted. Right now RGIII and Gruden aren't giving them that confidence.

They seemed to have it against Dallas but it vanished 2 minutes before halftime in Minnesota.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the players need a kick in the ass. They need to have confidence that their leadership A) knows how to put them in position to succeed and B) has the balls to be willing to do that even if its the unpopular choice.

The players need confidence that their efforts will be rewarded, not wasted. Right now RGIII and Gruden aren't giving them that confidence.

They seemed to have it against Dallas but it vanished 2 minutes before halftime in Minnesota.

Well - part of putting them in a position to succeed involves removing players from the field when they are unproductive & actually hurt the team. For now I won't apply that to RG3 since it serves a purpose to evaluate him a little more.

However - leaving players like Ryan Clark on the field serves no purpose. This is probably (hopefully) his last season with the team & the NFL & he is hurting this team in a major way. Why is he still on the field? Try some other, younger guys. Even if they are terrible - so what? Same could be said with some other players on the Redskins.

Confidence is great, but it is irrelevant when certain players either mail it in or simply don't have the talent to get the job done.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what should be taken out of this is gruden isnt "sold" on Rg3 and in fact when i saw the presser he came across as pissed at Rg3

i think its valid too as far as being pissed

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what should be taken out of this is gruden isnt "sold" on Rg3 and in fact when i saw the presser he came across as pissed at Rg3

i think its valid too as far as being pissed

What I also took out of this is that Gruden is basically saying that if a player like RG3 takes shots at other players then well expect to receive detailed criticism about yourself & be told that it is not any players place to be making comments along those lines. IMO that is a breath of fresh air & long overdue.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I also took out of this is that Gruden is basically saying that if a player like RG3 takes shots at other players then well expect to receive detailed criticism about yourself & be told that it is not any players place to be making comments along those lines. IMO that is a breath of fresh air & long overdue.

That is what Santana Moss thinks Gruden was doing also.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt McCoy should get a chance at starting QB. He played great against us.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt McCoy should get a chance at starting QB. He played great against us.

i think he will because Rg3 needs a lot of work and he isnt improving enough

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think RG3 is missing the Shanahans yet? They never criticized him in the Press. Gruden basically ripped him a new Ahole today. I get the impression he really doesn't like Robert. Makes me start to wonder if Danny is meddling again and the decision t start him came from the office of the owner.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think RG3 is missing the Shanahans yet? They never criticized him in the Press. Gruden basically ripped him a new Ahole today. I get the impression he really doesn't like Robert. Makes me start to wonder if Danny is meddling again and the decision t start him came from the office of the owner.

i dont think that at all . if gruden was a puppet he wouldnt have lambasted him in the press

also i think he was more upset with what he (RG3) said in the press after a huge loss to a sorry team

and i believe Rg3 deserved it too . he should have kept is mouth shut and not go into detail

we all know it takes 22 guys to win (guys on the field ) he shouldnt have elaborated in that situation

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3