• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

great time to trade ruiz is now

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:

So, you want to pay a 35 year old catcher 7.5-10 million a year when that money could be used elsewhere? Why? What possible benefit would come from keeping Ruiz? This makes no sense and only highlights the fan base's mentality for being overly attached to old players.

AGAIN, having an infield consist of three 35 year olds and a 34 year old is a bad idea. Especially when ALL of them are injury prone and (since you are saying it will be a two year deal) the infield for 2015 will be 35, 36, 36, 36. And they will account for about $60 million of the payroll. Holy fuck that is awful.

:bullshit:

This is not MLB "Equilibrium." Utley, Ruiz and Howard can still perform (with adjustments) in a lineup that's getting younger. Rollins is another issue and problem. I favor easing out experienced key players like Ruiz. Ruiz is still reasonably solid at .282. They may only want to offer Carlos a 1 yr deal. If it didn't work out, good possibilities exist with 24 year old minor leaguer Rupp whom I overlooked. The Phillies have talent in the minors to support their over the hill gang.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What part of my post is "bullshit?"

Paying Ruiz IS A BAD IDEA.

The infield IS REALLY FUCKING OLD.

Howard hasn't produced at a decent level since 2009.

If the Phillies do what you think is a good idea they WILL have $60 million in payroll locked up in a very old infield while STILL struggling to be .500.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of my post is "bullshit?" Paying Ruiz IS A BAD IDEA. The infield IS REALLY FUCKING OLD. Howard hasn't produced at a decent level since 2009. If the Phillies do what you think is a good idea they WILL have $60 million in payroll locked up in a very old infield while STILL struggling to be .500.

Utley and Howard have almost $50 million of the $60 locked up. And there's nothing that can be done about that. We're stuck with Howard's huge contract so he'll go nowhere. Since his legs are iffy, he can still be platooned with someone who can hit LHP. Signing Utley was a good idea. Ruiz is still worthwhile at .280. Working in the younger guys starting now is a winning idea. Revere is back next year and so I don't believe they'll struggle to play at .500. You would expect Asche, Ruf, Revere, and Brown to do the job alongside Howard, Utley, Rollins, and Ruiz..Personally, I complain more about JRol that the others. If things don't work out, you still have guys like Franco and Rupp at the ML minimum. It's not as bad as it appears. Plus, in the off season, a trade might develop where someone else figures in the mix.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so jvett, sounds like you're saying that ruiz stands out compared with other possible available catchers. which only gives more credence to trading him! we might be able to get a really good prospect in return. let's see how the phillies shape up during the off season...we might not have a need for a high profile catcher. and btw- I would take anyone of those 4 guys you've listed over ruiz. They are 5+ years younger! Ruiz is not going to come that cheap!

If we don't have a need for a "high profile" catcher, then why not just keep Ruiz, especially with a guy like Rupp, who's making some noise on the farm? At .282 you don't lose too much with Carlos, an older player who does the job.

Those who don't want Ruiz don't mention his stats the last four years - .302, .283, .325, and .282 (despite juicing suspension + leg injury this year). Other vitals - LHP .340, 18/53; RHP .265, 48/181. I would just resign Ruiz and his experience, and advance Rupp over Kratz and Quintero. Then you have the best of both worlds. Hey, we can make playoffs next year with a mix of experience and youth.
:yahoo:

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It wasn't "juicing", it was greenies, which is COMPLETELY different.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adderall is not a damn ped! When will people realize this? He is still probably taking the drug, but he's just smarter about it now and has a prescription.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't "juicing", it was greenies, which is COMPLETELY different.

So no artificial body enhancing, "only" meth or Adderal? (I'm out of touch with drug expertise) Actually, that makes me feel better about the guy. It's not like he cheated. But the suspension was deserved. Probably only needed to get up for a few of the games. I haven't seen his explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade this guy and get something for him before brain-dead gets a stiffy for him and then we are stuck with another aging vet with big money ala Howard, Rollins, Utley...

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trade this guy and get something for him before brain-dead gets a stiffy for him and then we are stuck with another aging vet with big money ala Howard, Rollins, Utley...

I still think the clowns are going to re-sign him to a three year deal.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So no artificial body enhancing, "only" meth or Adderal? (I'm out of touch with drug expertise) Actually, that makes me feel better about the guy. It's not like he cheated. But the suspension was deserved. Probably only needed to get up for a few of the games. I haven't seen his explanation.

I hate everything about this post.