• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

great time to trade ruiz is now

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ruiz has been on fire and actually has a chance to get his average up to .300! there has got to be a team out there that is in contention that needs a solid catcher for a playoff run. the waiver trade deadline is saturday.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If they were smart, he'd be moved ASAP.

But, most of the clownish fanbase insists the Phillies need to resign him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is going on in that front office that they think they need to sign aging vets all of the time. Yea I get the loyality thing but this is at such a fever pitch with this outfit that they do not see the wisdom in using age-old practices to replenish a club that absolutely needs younger more athletic players. I am completely flabberghasted that brain-dead even thinks that sort of reasoning is anywhere close to be logical or healthy in this business. John Kruk is right. Remove the cancer and the patient lives!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to dump Carlooooos quite yet. The last four years - .302, .283, .325, and .282 despite juicing suspension + leg injury. Other vitals - LHP .340, 18/53; RHP .265, 48/181. Sure, he'll be 35 next january, but unless someone better can be had from the minors or via trade, I'll stay with Ruiz. Go ahead, beat me up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This team is under .500 WITH Ruiz. They don't need to spend money on the catcher position when this team will be no better next year.

And He'll be 35 next year. Our infield will be 34 at first, 35 at second, 35 at short and 35 at catcher (if they resign him like the clownish fan base wants.)

That's pretty fucking old.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't say "dump" him, I said trade him. We may be able to get a decent prospect or 2 from a desperate contender. It's one of the main ways to rebuild a team for the future.

I don't want any prospects for Ruiz. We'll be stuck with a big hole and .200 Kratz while we search for a replacement. Just a waste. Ruiz has more than a year in him. Next year we're good at catcher right out of the box.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't want any prospects for Ruiz. We'll be stuck with a big hole and .200 Kratz while we search for a replacement. Just a waste. Ruiz has more than a year in him.

That is awful thinking.

There are plenty of free agent catcher that will accept a cheap one year deal. This team blows WITH Ruiz right now. Signing a 35 year old catcher is just an awful plan.

Next year we're good at catcher right out of the box.
34 at first, 35 at 2nd, 35 at short, 35 at catcher is a train wreck.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is awful thinking. There are plenty of free agent catcher that will accept a cheap one year deal. This team blows WITH Ruiz right now. Signing a 35 year old catcher is just an awful plan.

Just for the heck of it I looked at Potential Free Agents for 2014 - 22 catchers. Most fall into 2 categories - many are older than Ruiz and many have a current bad avgs. Four stood out from the rest matched against Ruiz, 34, .282. None would come cheap. Who do we like?

Brian McCann 29 .272 17 hr ATL
Dioner Navarro 29 CHC .296
Brayan Pena 29 .303 DET
Jarrod Saltalamacchia 28 .273 11 hr 52 RBI BOS

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so jvett, sounds like you're saying that ruiz stands out compared with other possible available catchers. which only gives more credence to trading him! we might be able to get a really good prospect in return. let's see how the phillies shape up during the off season...we might not have a need for a high profile catcher. and btw- I would take anyone of those 4 guys you've listed over ruiz. They are 5+ years younger! Ruiz is not going to come that cheap!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone will give something up for him this year, yeah go ahead and trade him. As a free agent next year, I wouldn't rule out signing him. I have not heard anything about what kind of a contract he would ask for. For all we know he could be one of the many free agent catchers that would accept a cheap one year deal.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just for the heck of it I looked at Potential Free Agents for 2014 - 22 catchers. Most fall into 2 categories - many are older than Ruiz and many have a current bad avgs. Four stood out from the rest matched against Ruiz, 34, .282. None would come cheap. Who do we like?

Brian McCann 29 .272 17 hr ATL
Dioner Navarro 29 CHC .296
Brayan Pena 29 .303 DET
Jarrod Saltalamacchia 28 .273 11 hr 52 RBI BOS

Why are you insisting you need a stand out at this position?

"Oh, but we'll have a hole at this position if we don't sign Ruiz!"

Newsflash; the entire team is a hole. McCann is too expensive, Salty is an abortion defensively. Just sign some clown that can play defense that won't piss off the pitchers.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you insisting you need a stand out at this position?

"Oh, but we'll have a hole at this position if we don't sign Ruiz!"

Newsflash; the entire team is a hole. McCann is too expensive, Salty is an abortion defensively. Just sign some clown that can play defense that won't piss off the pitchers.

Calig, you have explained that you are no answer to the Phillies front office. But you answered the question. Resign Carlos for another year at least!
:yahoo:

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's absolutely no need to bring back ruiz when the phils have 24 year old cameron rupp. a .260 avg, .760 ops and 14 homers at AA/AAA this season.

and he's a defensive catcher at that. he's actually batting .272 and gunning down 41% of baserunners at lehigh.

(assuming) with players like revere, rollins, utley, brown, ruf, asche, howard next year.. the catcher is just going to sit in the 8 hole most of the year. it's a perfect spot for rupp.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's making $5 mil. I'll bet they offer 2 years, $15 mil. Maybe $20 million.

:gaah:

So, you want to pay a 35 year old catcher 7.5-10 million a year when that money could be used elsewhere? Why? What possible benefit would come from keeping Ruiz? This makes no sense and only highlights the fan base's mentality for being overly attached to old players.

AGAIN, having an infield consist of three 35 year olds and a 34 year old is a bad idea. Especially when ALL of them are injury prone and (since you are saying it will be a two year deal) the infield for 2015 will be 35, 36, 36, 36. And they will account for about $60 million of the payroll. Holy fuck that is awful.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's absolutely no need to bring back ruiz when the phils have 24 year old cameron rupp. a .260 avg, .760 ops and 14 homers at AA/AAA this season. and he's a defensive catcher at that. he's actually batting .272 and gunning down 41% of baserunners at lehigh. (assuming) with players like revere, rollins, utley, brown, ruf, asche, howard next year.. the catcher is just going to sit in the 8 hole most of the year. it's a perfect spot for rupp.

I had forgotten about Rupp. He looks good. At 240 lbs.and he reminds me of Brian McCann. McCann had similar stats in the minors before busting out with Atlanta. I'd like to see Rupp play at the ML level but he might not be added to the Phils expanded roster since he'll be playing in the AZ fall league.

I think they'll still want to sign the experienced Ruiz though and advance Rupp in the plans. What could they lose? Ruiz won't get an Utley sized 2 yr deal and if he blows next year, Rupp would have his chance.