• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting a new CCW (Opinions?)

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I've narrowed it down to the Sig P290, Glock 26 or Springfield XDS (post striker issue). I'm really leaning toward the XDS right now, it just feels good. Basically trying to stay in the compact/sub compact line in 9mm. Anyone own or shot any of these? Not sure I can go wrong with any of them but wouldn't mind hearing other opinions.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I had the XDS and like the Glock it has no real safety on it other than don't touch the trigger me I prefer a weapon that requires more than keep your finger off the trigger

I know all those who like these guns will argue until they are blue in the face that they are perfectly safe and we all like to believe it will never happen but what if a child happens to pick it up???
yeah they don't know anything about the lack of a safety and boom the gun goes off

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I had the XDS and like the Glock it has no real safety on it other than don't touch the trigger me I prefer a weapon that requires more than keep your finger off the trigger

I know all those who like these guns will argue until they are blue in the face that they are perfectly safe and we all like to believe it will never happen but what if a child happens to pick it up???
yeah they don't know anything about the lack of a safety and boom the gun goes off

While I agree a safety is a good thing, it's really not necessarily a deciding factor for me. My PF9 is a DAO that has no external safety so I'm pretty used to and comfortable with what goes into responsibly owning/carrying one. The XDS has a trigger and grip safety, which is more than I'm carrying now and I guess that's not a bad thing.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gray is correct, you have the be very careful with the non-safety semi-autos.

I have a Glock 27 (.40 cal) that I carry from time to time... when I first got into firearms back in the day, you want the coolest type firearm so personally I made decisions based on the wrong characteristics (e.g. how many in the clip, semi-auto is better than revolver, etc.)

Now that I have gotten older, I know a lot more about guns... I mostly carry my S&W 340PD airlight hammerless. It is a 5 shot .357 I keep 38 hollowpoints in. Super light, super small, and is more than enough. The other thing I love about it are it has no hammer or slide so I can fire it from a jacket pocket. You take this for granted, but over 12 years in Miami I pulled ~3 times... and prevented crimes (both against me and others). You rarely would need to shoot. But there were a few other times downtown in a bad area where I did business that a group of unsavory characters would be near me and I would have my firearm ready in my pocket without them ever knowing... just in case. Things happen fast and you won't always have time to draw. My 340 also has no safety, but it has a 10lb trigger pull so you can't accidentally fire it very easily. I could literally give it loaded to my 9 year old daughter and she wouldn't be able to pull the trigger. Downside: Since the power to weight ratio is tilted to power (the gun weighs 8 oz emtpy) it kicks like a mule.

The Glock compacts are still the same width as the full size, which for me seem very bulky unless you are skinny as a rail (which I am not at 220lbs). I had really bad luck with a Springfield about 8 years ago... kept fatally jamming and after 3 trips to their return center for repair, they couldn't figure it out either and gave me my money back (I didn't want another one). There is a great video on Youtube of a guy who considers himself and expert doing a holster draw video with a Kimber I think and ends up shooting himself in the leg (he got really lucky it missed his bone and artery). He actually posted the video of him shooting himself. You have to be very careful drawing glocks and practice. One finger slide into the trigger and you end up killing yourself.

So, just keep in mind... almost all encounters which you will need a firearms are under the 3-3-3 rule. Three shots in under three seconds at an average of three feet.

So.. .just my opinion. I have no idea your age or hand gun experience (including carry). But if this is your 1st ... start with a J-frame hammerless with a heavy trigger pull or a semi-auto with a safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gray is correct, you have the be very careful with the non-safety semi-autos.

I have a Glock 27 (.40 cal) that I carry from time to time... when I first got into firearms back in the day, you want the coolest type firearm so personally I made decisions based on the wrong characteristics (e.g. how many in the clip, semi-auto is better than revolver, etc.)

Now that I have gotten older, I know a lot more about guns... I mostly carry my S&W 340PD airlight hammerless. It is a 5 shot .357 I keep 38 hollowpoints in. Super light, super small, and is more than enough. The other thing I love about it are it has no hammer or slide so I can fire it from a jacket pocket. You take this for granted, but over 12 years in Miami I pulled ~3 times... and prevented crimes (both against me and others). You rarely would need to shoot. But there were a few other times downtown in a bad area where I did business that a group of unsavory characters would be near me and I would have my firearm ready in my pocket without them ever knowing... just in case. Things happen fast and you won't always have time to draw. My 340 also has no safety, but it has a 10lb trigger pull so you can't accidentally fire it very easily. I could literally give it loaded to my 9 year old daughter and she wouldn't be able to pull the trigger. Downside: Since the power to weight ratio is tilted to power (the gun weighs 8 oz emtpy) it kicks like a mule.

The Glock compacts are still the same width as the full size, which for me seem very bulky unless you are skinny as a rail (which I am not at 220lbs). I had really bad luck with a Springfield about 8 years ago... kept fatally jamming and after 3 trips to their return center for repair, they couldn't figure it out either and gave me my money back (I didn't want another one). There is a great video on Youtube of a guy who considers himself and expert doing a holster draw video with a Kimber I think and ends up shooting himself in the leg (he got really lucky it missed his bone and artery). He actually posted the video of him shooting himself. You have to be very careful drawing glocks and practice. One finger slide into the trigger and you end up killing yourself.

So, just keep in mind... almost all encounters which you will need a firearms are under the 3-3-3 rule. Three shots in under three seconds at an average of three feet.

So.. .just my opinion. I have no idea your age or hand gun experience (including carry). But if this is your 1st ... start with a J-frame hammerless with a heavy trigger pull or a semi-auto with a safety.

All good info, sir. I grew up around guns and have been carrying for quite some time now, to be 31 years old anyway. Just looking for something new to put in the rotation. As of now, if my PF9 decides to fail me, I'm left without a carry weapon. I'm more than likely gonna make whatever I get this time into my main carry and use the PF9 in a backup/rainy day carry role.

Last edited by a moderator:

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well look at everything that is out there, if you know someone who has the XDS see if they will let you try it out, in fact try as many different weapons as you can, and then buy what you want don't settle because of price that never works out

good luck and be safe

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, between a XDS and Glock... I would buy a Glock. I think there is a reason so many LEO and government agencies use Glock... quality and failure rates are so low. Think about how many Glocks are manufactured in the World vs. other brands....

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to own the S&W MP 340CT...VN!

That looks identical to mine with some slight graphics and grip changes.

What is crazy is I bought mine about 10 years ago for $650 brand new. The price has doubled... ! Crazy.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well look at everything that is out there, if you know someone who has the XDS see if they will let you try it out, in fact try as many different weapons as you can, and then buy what you want don't settle because of price that never works out

good luck and be safe

Yeah, I've got to get to doing some shooting. This time I've been trying to not pay attention to the price and just trying find what something that I'm confident enough in to stand behind without reservation. There's just so much to choose from in the compact market now that it's starting to make my head hurt.

:gaah:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks identical to mine with some slight graphics and grip changes.

What is crazy is I bought mine about 10 years ago for $650 brand new. The price has doubled... ! Crazy.

Hard to find, saw a MP340 w/o the lazor grip for $780 the other day, brand new.

How's throwing those .357 loads threw your revolver?:gaah:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's throwing those .357 loads threw your revolver?:gaah:
Every once in a while, I will put a .357 load into it for someone (just one) and tell them it is only a 38 load... and it scares the living shit out of them.

Kicks like crazy and will actually hurt your hand if you aren't use to it...

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my next handgun

pix176789990.jpg

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glock 26 is my concealed carry weapon. Over 2500 rounds through it and have never had a malfunction. It is a little wider than what I would prefer (really like the width on the S&W M&P Shields or the new Glock 380), but its reliable as hell and we've become good friends.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glock 26 is my concealed carry weapon. Over 2500 rounds through it and have never had a malfunction. It is a little wider than what I would prefer (really like the width on the S&W M&P Shields or the new Glock 380), but its reliable as hell and we've become good friends.

It's really got my attention. I had pretty much settled on the 26 until I started doing more research. For whatever reason I've found myself amped up about the Springfield as of late. I'm probably gonna go this weekend and do some more looking and hopefully get to shoot a couple different things.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was there a reason the S&W Shield didn't make the cut? I've been thinking about getting a smaller handgun and the Shield just seems to be the best of a lot of worlds.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was there a reason the S&W Shield didn't make the cut? I've been thinking about getting a smaller handgun and the Shield just seems to be the best of a lot of worlds.

Not really any reason in particular. From what I've heard they're a damn fine gun but really haven't peaked my interest like the others have. I figured I needed to start narrowing down my choices but, in reality, I don't think I'm any closer to making a decision than I was to start with. I guess I could have worse problems. :ohwell:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have little experience with S&W outside their revolvers.

I had a horrible experience with a defective 9mm from Springfield, but know plenty of people who love theirs (and their customer service was good, they tried to help). The extractor was failing to eject the spent round... it was a critical failure that would get you killed if you ever needed it. It would happen in 1 of ~20 rounds shot regardless of ammo used.

Never had a problem with my 6+ glocks I own.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I carry a Glock 19 and no problem for me. That said I just purchased a Sig P238. Ya I know it is only .380 but it is a great little gun and I can hit plates at 20 yds with it.

The Shield is nice and skinny. By buddy has one and I found it ok to shoot. Was not a big fan of the trigger pull though. Would for sure do a trigger kit.

If you are stuck with 9mm then I would go either Glock or Sig myself.