• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Booger-Hooks and Bang-Switches

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I get more and more trigger time on my CZ P07 (traditional double action), the more and more I’ve contemplated my previous assumptions about triggers and their merits. While I was raised on the Glock Safe Action and 1911 Single Action triggers I’m growing more and more appreciative of the Traditional Double Action trigger. Being one that bounced between the Glock/M&P striker fired trigger systems and the venerable 1911 single action school of discipline I completely subscribed to the theory that “one consistent trigger pull is better than two”. I believe that they all have their advantages and I think that all else being equal the statement that “one consistent pull is better than two” is at its core, true. However, all things are rarely equal. My take based on my experience with each popular style:

Striker Fired: These triggers have greatly improved over the years. To the point I personally believe that some are borderline unsafe. The trigger on a PPQ or a P320 is very nice. Nice enough that I personally would want a safety on them. But you put a safety on these guns and they basically become a mediocre single action firearm. What I like about these guns is they are the easiest to train with and become proficient with. What I don’t like is that for them to be reasonably safe the trigger will never be quite as good as a good single action trigger on a 1911 or a TDA.

Single Action: Love the single action trigger of a good 1911. There really isn’t much of a downside to this system save for the external safeties. I prefer to have no safety on a defensive firearm though. Training can overcome most of this negative but regardless of what you are told about muscle memory and reverting to training, unless you are a veteran of multiple shootouts and combat you probably don’t know how you will react. I don’t at least. And this is why I’ve moved away from the 1911.

Double Action Only: I personally don’t think this one does anything well. I think one can absolutely be proficient with this system (especially if we’re talking about the excellent DAO on the SIG P250 line). Scoring consistent hits with this trigger will require a lot of work though and most people don’t get enough work as it is. I never recommend this trigger. In a public setting this is not an optimal firearm to deploy by an under-trained armed citizen. It’s hard enough to land hits in a high stress situation without having a trigger needlessly fighting you every step of the way.

And now the Traditional Double Action Trigger: When I bought the P07 on the recommendation of Mike Pannone (CTT-Solutions, they offer great classes, check their schedule to see when they will be in your area) I did so in large because of the excellent design characteristics of the Omega trigger system that allows you to switch between TDA and SA/cocked and locked in about five minutes. That’s how concerned I was with my being able to adapt to the TDA system. I have to say though that I might was well throw that manual safety away at this point, it won’t be needed. After break in I don’t see a “ton” of difference between the initial DA stroke on this gun and a stock Glock trigger. It’s longer, but not as long as you would think (especially from the half cock carry position CZ defaults to once charged and decocked) and it’s smooth. I’m able to consistently score hits with that first pull. That’s my safety… not something that needs to be disengaged, but something that allows a hit to be scored upon draw. And after that initial pull/hit what do I have? A trigger that would rival any tuned 1911. Sitting there with 15 more rounds at my beck and call. Does the TDA take more training to master? Absolutely. Is it worth it? Absolutely. With the right training and focus (think presentation and dry fire off-line) it’s a system that can be easily adapted to. Look up Todd Green or Earnest Langdon for pointers.

I get the whole “keep your booger-hook off the bang switch” mindset and I’m sure some will read my thoughts on light striker triggers and that is exactly what will come to mind. But that mantra along with the current gun-community slogan of “mistakes don’t happen to people who are careful” does, in my limited experience, lead to many AD’s. See, I believe that accidents “do” happen. It’s not a matter of “if” as much as “when”. If you observe safety precautions and train well chances are when you “do” make that mistake, nobody will be hurt. I’ve seen many at the range and competitions fire before they intended to. Keeping the pistol pointed in a safe direction usually limits the collateral damage to a fair amount of embarrassment though. To get a light trigger I believe that the TDA system is about as safe as there is when one is talking handguns.

What do you guys shoot? Anyone have opinions on the various triggers available?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, personally, do not understand why some people a against a safety.
I have no problem at all switching it off with my thumb as I draw.
Cocked and locked Colt 1911.
Colt triggers are the best out of the box that I have experianced, single action 1911 or my buddy's Anaconda.
I do not own yet, but while the triggeris not the sweetest, we will be purchasing a S&W M&P Compact for my wife unless the Gen 4 Glock 26 fits her hand better. The Glock is starght up, but the M&P is offered with or without thumb safety and with or without a mag safety. I'll take both, or niether, I don't care. But if we get the M&P it will get an Apex trigger quick.
Then I will need a Colt Defender 9mm please. Much lighter than the 5" .45 I have now.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as far as safeties go, most people have concerns with:

1. Forgetting to disengage it.
2. Failing to disengage it.

How valid those concerns are is up for debate. I used a 1911 for years and it's still possible I will end up one day going back to the platform (or switching out my decocker for the safety on my P-07).

I can tell you that once, in a class, I swept my safety and it didn't disengage during a drill. When drawing from the holster my grip on the handgun wasn't exactly where it needed to be (I think, it's hard to tell) and for some reason I didn't catch it on the sweep. Granted, I've got thousands upon thousands of rounds through a 1911 and this is the only time this has happened that I can recall. But it can absolutely happen. And if you add stress to the equation in a real life encounter I would have to think those chances would go up some.

Like I said, all the platforms have their positives and negatives.

Manual Safety: Failure to disengage.
DA First Pull: Less accurate initial shot.
Striker w/o Safety: Less safeguards for mistakes that will most likely eventually happen.

It's all what you are comfortable with. No matter what course is taken there will be a trade off off some sort.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of booger-hooks and bang-switches...

Got to the range this past weekend and had to deal with a little more adversity than I'm used to. Damn arthritis in my hands flared up worse than it's ever been. Might be the cold spell in the area (was around 40DEG). But I had a lot more problems with that long double action bang switch than I'm used to. Has me thinking about taking the 10 minutes needed to switch out the decocker for the manual safety. Ugh.