• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game time

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simon gets a start in the C.L. opener. According to Price, Simon could be the guy who fills in for Latos if that should be necessary. I had expected to see Jeff Francis in that spot.

Cueto and Bailey, Thursday and Friday.

Am I the only one who does not believe Broxton will pitch this year?

On Wednesday, exhibition games begin for the Reds, as they will open their Cactus League schedule with the first of three games vs. the Indians at Goodyear Ballpark. First pitch is at 3:05 p.m. ET, and the game will air on MLB.TV.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Simon, he has history as a MLB starter, albeit mostly unsuccessful. The guy can throw several pitches, but since joining the Reds, Price has made him drop a couple and stick with the ones he has the most success with. Parra pretty much the same story.

That seems to be Price's strength as a pitching coach. Builds a guys confidence in his stuff to go after the hitter instead of picking the corners and constantly falling behind. I think he's the single biggest reason Homer Bailey has grown in performance and is still a Reds pitcher for years to come.

Sounds simple, reinforce the positive, reduce the negative, should result in a positive gain.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree w/H&R above. It takes someone that can recognize the value in best traits of the player, instead of his chances of doing what the manager is good at. Some actors are great in different roles, some are method actors, really playing the same character regardless of the script.

IMO, the difference in a decent reliever and a decent starting pitcher isn't always stamina- it's usually "stuff"- pitches that are or are not effective for more than 1 at bat per hitter faced. BA by number of at bats in a game tells you something. Pitchers who's stuff is as hard to hit in the 3rd at bat as it was the first one are good SP's. If they start out hitting .200 but hit .390 by the 5th inning, he obviously needs to work fewer innings. One reason middling relievers get by is they often represent a change of pace from previous pitchers, starters don't have that luxury- often why they get hit early more often, especially if they are predictable to the scouting report. Guys that have to fool hitters have a tougher road than pitchers that can dominate you even if you know what's coming...and even that has a time limit.

Simon can fool you once, not so much twice or three times.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Welsh tended to downplay the coaching role in Bailey's improvement though he did acknowledge it helped. More than that, Welsh said Bailey stopped being 22 and started being 27. In the big leagues, the years of work and paying attention, coupled with a bit of separation from being the "young stud" to "a guy on the staff" really helps.

I can't evaluate Simon's head. He's like 80 percent of MLB pitchers -- can get you out 76 percent of the time. He's a guy who, if he was with Milwaukee, would pitch one game a month and if it was against the Reds, would be a 2-hit shutout.

But it is nice to have that 6th starter on the staff instead of at Lousyville, where we stashed them in the past.

I do hope Price is inclined to use a whole-staff approach. I've said this before: Any pitcher in MLB should be able to get 3 outs in the 9th inning. It should not be a slot where only one guy can fit -- the best lefthander to come along since Randy Johnson.

Well, that's another rant and it's been ranted to death.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pumped for the preseason opener! It's been a long, cold winter and baseball is BACK! It's 1 AD boys...Season 1 After Dusty!! CHEERS! :suds:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I tend to want to use the future Reds calendar referred to as AD...After Dusty.

He's (stagnant) water under the bridge now.

It's Price's team at present, and although I would predict an under 90 win first attempt, I like his chances going forward if the GM can hold up his end of the bargain. I like the Reds core, if healthy. Votto, Bruce and Phillips are the everyday vets, and Hamilton, Mesoraco, Frazier and Cozart are needed to improve, and the farm must provide another answer or two in the near future, to be whole.

Obviously, the pitching has to be considered a strength. A staff full of young arms, 3 of which have tossed 200 IP before is key. Only 1 junkballer in the rotation may better his efforts at inducing bad timing by hitters. I hope a LHSP is a long needed necessity filled this year, even though I'd like to see Chapman in that role, Cingrani will probably get Arroyos spot- he and Leake, barring injury to other SP's may have to work themselves out of the rotation before AC stops being a post season spectator from the bullpen.

Speaking of the bullpen, Marshall becomes the veteran presence now, and I fear that due to role and capability, he's not going to make us not miss Bronson. I don't know the extent of Broxtons injury, but when healthy, I like his stuff, his defense and his mound presence..even if he's as overpaid as a situational reliever...albeit about half what Spudwick will make this year. In hoping both earn their contracts, but it's a talk task.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who does not believe Broxton will pitch this year?

Jonathan Broxton 'still a candidate' for opening day

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton threw off a mound Monday for the first time since undergoing elbow surgery last year. He attempted 15 pitches.

"That's all it is, another step," Broxton said, per The Cincinnati Enquirer. "You've got to keep going step-by-step and today was a big step in the right direction. No problems, didn't feel anything. I felt fine throwing, felt like I could throw it where I wanted."

Manager Bryan Price is still entertaining the notion Broxton could be ready by opening day.
"With the elbow, there's a lot of things, a lot of hurdles to get through. He has no pain, no residual soreness when he plays long toss. The logical next step is to get on the mound, he's done flat ground," Price said. "Then you start to manipulate the ball, adding cut and break to it with the breaking ball and cutter and that's a whole 'nother step that will challenge his elbow a little bit and we'll see how he responds to that. We have not resigned ourselves to him not making our opening day roster. He's still a candidate to be ready for that."

If he's JUST now throwing 15 pitches from the mound, isn't it a REALLY LONG shot to be ready for opening day? I'm no trainer, but it seems to be a mighty bold prediction. You got to believe that his control on anything other than his fastball is gonna be very rusty for quite a while. I'd hate to have him come back too early and get rocked like he did before they put him on the DL last season.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring training is short for everyone. The big issue for Broxton or Latos is lack of pitching to guys who's job depends on hitting off them. I suspect they may have to see some minor leaguers before being trusted with the Cardinals when it counts.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope for no suprize injuries or setbacks today.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Price is undefeated in GL play. Hamilton took a 9 pitch wslk, stole 2b and kept tricking to 3b on a bad throw. Heisey hit a 2 run tater. Spudwick and Votto Ribbied. They say Cueto is healthy. No one snapped a hammy. So far, so good.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good news on the battlefront! We all should be optimistic at this point. I am a little concerned about the bullpen. Maybe that is not warranted as we have been darn good down there in the past 2 years.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how our boys played yesterday. Man was it awesome to see Recs baseball. Here are some key features I liked after 1 game.
1.Billy Hamilton- Had some really good AB, and done what he is going to do when he gets on base.
2.Chris Heisey- He put his name in the early Cactus League MVP (There is no such thing) But it was really great to see him swing it like that. Kinda looks like he changed something in his batting stance.
3.Skip/Pena- Skip kept getting on base and Pena had some nice rips on the ball.
Altogether it was a well played game. I'm really excited, probably looking to much into it but good to watch Reds baseball. But todays lineup aint so great, But Cueto is pitching.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't come away with that much enthusiasm though it's better than what Casey Stengel thought that first game in 1962.

Either way, with 25 or so guys in camp, you won't get much of a look at the regulars, since they will progress incrementally.

I did notice only one part of Wednesday's game ... Todd Frazier has modified his hitting stance. Yeah, it's subtle and -- how could I possibily notice that? I did notice it, even in his short appearance. Make a note of that.

If Phillips is going go head-first, better make the roster change today. Back when players paid attention, the handful of dirt had a purpose.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree with, BP needs to either start holding on to gloves when he runs or dirt. Because that wasnt the 1st time he has done that. Good thing it wasnt to bad. Could have been though.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I've always liked to see runners moving. One benefit to the last 15 years of not running as much, is teams are less prepared to defend against it. There have to be some undiscovered runs in there. We just gotta have the right tools to mine them.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring Training Game 2, the score wasnt pretty, but who cares? The main thing is so far Billy Hamilton has been impressive in his AB.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw part of the last third of the game.
Offense is bizarre in Arizona. That last HR was a fly ball that went 400 feet.
Didn't see Cueto pitch. Report was that he was sharp.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt see the game- I read 2 innings for Cueto- no issues. Good news, so far.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Homer Bailey going today.