• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 43 - Philadelphia Flyers at Detroit Red Wings(1-17-16): 7:30pm EST

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
large.png vs. large.png

Game Time: 7:30pm EST
Channel: NBCSN
Venue: Joe Louis Arena

First Goal Prediction Standings:​
flyersfan4706 - 8​
Maverick426h - 3​
Cobiemonster - 2​
lasgop8 - 2​
wbon22 - 2​
awaz - 2​
dspice07 - 1​
banditshcky11 - 1​
WOOTPOKER - 1​
4thstreet - 1​
FlyerFinFan - 1​
mall3013 - 0​
EVille3 - 0​
chy1127 - 0​

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claude Giroux

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woo! A first goal for me!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neuvy was a rock once again - good and important win

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge two points in a game where a lot of major calls did not go our way. We still hate the shootout obviously. We would've much rather won this in the 3 on 3, but the call on Simmonds made it 4 on 4 for virtually the entire 5 minutes.

Regardless of the win streak being snapped earlier in a SO, we're getting a high volume of points out of games. The Rangers and Islanders both lost, which I think puts us right there with them if we win our games in hand. We have a definite edge over the Pens and Devils with multiple games in hand while only 1 point back.

We're also about to pass Montreal for the second wild card spot as long as we get 3 or more points in our next 3 games.

I have to bring this up too. This may have been a much easier win if Schenn had tipped the puck into an empty net earlier in the game, but he instead passed it back. We continue to be snakebit on the power play too. We needed to score on that 5 on 3. Mrazek was good, but there are no excuses.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I know they are not the same play, but I think both goals should've been disallowed on review instead of just ours. This would've taken away the only goal the Red Wings scored. Both goalies were stellar and while we did have a lull in the second half of the second period, I thought we played well enough to win this game in regulation ultimately.

That said, Datsyuk and Zetterberg may be getting old, but they still have plenty of magic left in them. Tough to handle. I'm still glad that Giroux and Voracek are much younger. Our future should be brighter.

I used to live up in the suburbs of Detroit and have been to Joe Louis Arena a few times, so I know how rarely we get 2 points there. These are nice to have.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I know they are not the same play, but I think both goals should've been disallowed on review instead of just ours. This would've taken away the only goal the Red Wings scored. Both goalies were stellar and while we did have a lull in the second half of the second period, I thought we played well enough to win this game in regulation ultimately.

That said, Datsyuk and Zetterberg may be getting old, but they still have plenty of magic left in them. Tough to handle. I'm still glad that Giroux and Voracek are much younger. Our future should be brighter.

I used to live up in the suburbs of Detroit and have been to Joe Louis Arena a few times, so I know how rarely we get 2 points there. These are nice to have.

I'm OK with the disallowed Flyers goal at the buzzer. And I'm OK with the Flyers disallowed goal in the 2nd when the ref blew the whistle early. And I am OK with the Red Wings goal counting. But I thought actually calling a penalty on Simmonds was extremely harsh. Especially given the way the rest of the calls went. All Simmonds did was jump, Mrazek was the one moving in to the contact. Flyers should've had a 4-3 in OT.

Keith Jones explained the Wings goal being allowed in the post game. Apparently it was identical to one from the Blackhawks playoff run last year where Crawford had his glove hit. The league met and discussed that exact play in the summer and said it would count as a goal if the glove was outside the crease, which Neuvy's pretty much was. Plus, no way Neuvy saves that anyway, he had no idea where it was and it was deflecting through Gudas and (Red Wing). I don't think the glove hit inhibited him at all.

Regardless, big two points. Playing in back to back shootout games, in an arena that is historically tough for the Flyers to get wins, with 11 forwards, killing a 5 minute PP, borderline officiating, and won in a shootout. That's a lot of obstacles for this team to overcome. That's a big win.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Simmonds should not have been called. We went from sitting pretty with nearly a full two minute 4 on 3 in OT to ruining the entire OT and having it be 4 on 4. Besides, he has his back to the goalie and is not moving back into the crease. If the contact between Helm and Neuvy is incidental, then so was this. It's a bit of a joke of a call. I think people just freak out when there is head contact, even if it is slight and completely unintentional.

Perhaps Mrazek even embellished this a bit. He seemed completely fine afterwards.

Either way, I think we got screwed a bit with the major calls of the game, but we kept battling and held the play in the final frame.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Simmonds should not have been called. We went from sitting pretty with nearly a full two minute 4 on 3 in OT to ruining the entire OT and having it be 4 on 4. Besides, he has his back to the goalie and is not moving back into the crease. If the contact between Helm and Neuvy is incidental, then so was this. It's a bit of a joke of a call. I think people just freak out when there is head contact, even if it is slight and completely unintentional.

Perhaps Mrazek even embellished this a bit. He seemed completely fine afterwards.

Either way, I think we got screwed a bit with the major calls of the game, but we kept battling and held the play in the final frame.
Yep the call on Simmonds was frustrating and if you are going to say neuvys glove was outside the crease then you can say mrazek was outside the crease too! Otherwise I'm fine if they call it that way just as long as they are consistent.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep the call on Simmonds was frustrating and if you are going to say neuvys glove was outside the crease then you can say mrazek was outside the crease too! Otherwise I'm fine if they call it that way just as long as they are consistent.

including consistently getting the penalty shot call wrong! three times this weekend I thought there should have been penalty shots in Flyers games and all 3 were just 2 minutes. Two in the Wings game, one in the rags game.

Like you said though, it was consistently called, seemingly incorrectly, but at least it was consistent. (and it was probably beneficial to the Flyers anyway. I'd rather them have a PP, and I'd rather the Wings have a PP than Datsyuk have a PS)

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Son and I had tix 3 rows behind Flyers bench for this fucking horribly officiated game.

Nice 2 pts ,but it should have been decided in regulation.
Lets get the points out of the games in hand.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS!!!!!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS!!!!!
Even worse they called him for a penalty when it was completely inadvertent contact. Double whammy why because it's Philly? That's getting really old...