• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 2: Los Angeles Kings @ Anaheim Ducks, 5/5 7:00 PM, NBCSN

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing about the Kings that makes them very dangerous is that this is a team that believes they could do anything. Whether it be winning the Stanley Cup as an 8th seed or coming back from 3-0 to win the series, I think this Kings team has to be loaded with confidence right now.

This team is built with guys who are mentally tough as nails. Lots of character, grit, and attitude. Lombardi envisioned this when he started building the Kings in 2007, and it's paying off in spades.

If the Kings go to three straight WCFs in 3 years it would be a testament on how this team has grown and developed together and what the culture is all about.

The Kings have won 7 playoff rounds in the last 3 years, most of any NHL team in that span.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is built with guys who are mentally tough as nails. Lots of character, grit, and attitude. Lombardi envisioned this when he started building the Kings in 2007, and it's paying off in spades.

If the Kings go to three straight WCFs in 3 years it would be a testament on how this team has grown and developed together and what the culture is all about.

The Kings have won 7 playoff rounds in the last 3 years, most of any NHL team in that span.

Very impressive. Guys like Quick, Kopitar, & Doughty get much of the credit (and rightfully so), but the character guys really take the team to the next level. Seems like there's always someone threatening to score a big goal for the team when they need it. Also impressive is how they can just switch things on on the spot. Truly a remarkable club. You guys should be proud :suds:

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish Richards can get his offense back but he does so many little things.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely am. We have endured years and years of disappointment and coulda woulda shouldas so it's nice to see some tangible results.

I feel happiest for guys like Ox, who have been with this franchise from nearly the get go and waited so long to see Brown lift that Cup up. I feel sorry for the young kids who just became Kings fans or jumped on the wagon, they won't and don't truly appreciate what struggles this franchise had to go through to get here. Sports is a cycle however, and when the bad times come they will understand. In a way I think they will have it worse, because we went from crap to Cup, they'll be going the opposite direction. I think they will be jabbed at and ridiculed more.

Nothing is done yet, the Kings still have a ways to go but they are in a good spot to move on to the WCFs. Nice to expect this team to win now and not hope.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wish Richards can get his offense back but he does so many little things.

Makes two of us, but he isn't killing the team not scoring so I'm OK with that. He is solid defensively and his compete level is off the charts.

Go back to the GT goal in Game 1, and it was Richards who pinched in, took a hit from the much bigger Getlzlaf yet squeaked through and then passed the puck to the slot where Gaborik tipped it in. A lot of players would have mailed it in as soon as they saw Getzlaf screaming in.

He does lots of little things that so many people just don't see, so when he isn't scoring they rail him. His value is immeasurable.

blk4x499

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey Puck...Have you talked to your buddy Serge lately...if you have, Just curious what his take on this series is.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely am. We have endured years and years of disappointment and coulda woulda shouldas so it's nice to see some tangible results.

I feel happiest for guys like Ox, who have been with this franchise from nearly the get go and waited so long to see Brown lift that Cup up. I feel sorry for the young kids who just became Kings fans or jumped on the wagon, they won't and don't truly appreciate what struggles this franchise had to go through to get here. Sports is a cycle however, and when the bad times come they will understand. In a way I think they will have it worse, because we went from crap to Cup, they'll be going the opposite direction. I think they will be jabbed at and ridiculed more.

Nothing is done yet, the Kings still have a ways to go but they are in a good spot to move on to the WCFs. Nice to expect this team to win now and not hope.

Yeah man, I remember stopping over on the ESPN Kings board before 2012 and people always seemed so down on the team. What a turnaround the past 3 years, I give a lot of credit to Daryl Sutter, really changed the attitude of the team, and he takes everything in stride.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah man, I remember stopping over on the ESPN Kings board before 2012 and people always seemed so down on the team. What a turnaround the past 3 years, I give a lot of credit to Daryl Sutter, really changed the attitude of the team, and he takes everything in stride.

It was more of a chronic thing that goes back decades. The franchise would have minimal success, or show glimmers of success but find ways to piss it all away.

Two great examples in the last 15 years are:

- 2001 playoffs. Down 2-0 against Detroit and 3-0 in Game 3, win game 3 in OT 4-3 and then win the next 3 to win the series. Next round they face Colorado and push it to 7 games, tied going into the 3rd and give up 4 goals to lose in 7. They were 1-2 pieces away from being a legitimate contender but went the cheap route instead getting guys like Steve Heinze and Roman Cechmanek. Aaron Miller was due for a new contract, so they paid him (4 years/$14 million)....but moved Schneider (3 years/$10.5 million) to do that, hurting the team. They could have and should have kept both guys.

- 2005-06 season, on Dec. 31 the Kings were in first place in the WC. By the end of the season they missed the playoffs altogether.

It's stuff like that, 1993, the blown draft picks, the free agent signings that didn't pan out, etc. so when Dumbo came in, laid out his plans (he actually had two - build on the fly, or go for a full rebuild. AEG chose the latter because it would be cheaper me thinks, with guys on ELCs longer than having to go shell out money on UFAs and acquiring existing contracts) and executed them to a T.

He completely changed the culture of this franchise and started by losing all the "great prospects" the Kings had drafted (Jens Karlsson, Tambellini, Tukonen, Parse, etc.) and getting guys who had more character and winning breed. He cleaned out the entire staff, we're talking even the cleaning crew. The locker rooms were even renovated to a luxury status - as they say, when you dress good you feel good. There was a lot of psychology that went into this and the slate was completely washed clean of the stink known as losing.

I think when Dumbo is done here, if he still wants to be a GM, he will have no shortage of suitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more of a chronic thing that goes back decades. The franchise would have minimal success, or show glimmers of success but find ways to piss it all away.

Two great examples in the last 15 years are:

- 2001 playoffs. Down 2-0 against Detroit and 3-0 in Game 3, win game 3 in OT 4-3 and then win the next 3 to win the series. Next round they face Colorado and push it to 7 games, tied going into the 3rd and give up 4 goals to lose in 7. They were 1-2 pieces away from being a legitimate contender but went the cheap route instead getting guys like Steve Heinze and Roman Cechmanek. Aaron Miller was due for a new contract, so they paid him (4 years/$14 million)....but moved Schneider (3 years/$10.5 million) to do that, hurting the team. They could have and should have kept both guys.

- 2005-06 season, on Dec. 31 the Kings were in first place in the WC. By the end of the season they missed the playoffs altogether.

It's stuff like that, 1993, the blown draft picks, the free agent signings that didn't pan out, etc. so when Dumbo came in, laid out his plans (he actually had two - build on the fly, or go for a full rebuild. AEG chose the latter because it would be cheaper me thinks, with guys on ELCs longer than having to go shell out money on UFAs and acquiring existing contracts) and executed them to a T.

He completely changed the culture of this franchise and started by losing all the "great prospects" the Kings had drafted (Jens Karlsson, Tambellini, Tukonen, Parse, etc.) and getting guys who had more character and winning breed. He cleaned out the entire staff, we're talking even the cleaning crew. The locker rooms were even renovated to a luxury status - as they say, when you dress good you feel good. There was a lot of psychology that went into this and the slate was completely washed clean of the stink known as losing.

I think when Dumbo is done here, if he still wants to be a GM, he will have no shortage of suitors.

True, for the first time ever they seem to have direction as well as a core of players to build on for the long term. Nice rundown of Kings history, was very informative and made me aware of a perspective I hadn't considered before. Congrats on the success of your team, no doubt one of the top 3 franchises in the game right now (along with the Blackhawks, and maybe the Bruins as well).