• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Full sound not being played through headphones.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What songs should I test these headphones out with? Here's what I'll do so far. These aren't necessarily my favorite songs, but I'm picking some of these because I've read other headphone reviews test with these songs.

1. Tool - Stinkfist (especially the first 30 seconds or so).
2. Metallica - Trapped Under Ice
3. Metallica - Holier Than Thou (for the guitar talkbox solo)
4. Metallica - Until It Sleeps
5. Soundgarden - Limo Wreck

And what are some other songs I should do? Or what part of what songs? Feel free to mention a lesser known track on a lesser known album from one of these artists. I'm thinking of 1-2 more tracks. I think by then I should know how the headphones sound differently.

Are there any tracks or parts of track that have sub-bass? I've seen that term, but not sure I know what it sounds like. Please mention a what part of what track, if you know.

I'm thinking Lynyrd Skynyrd might be a good pick because of more instruments used?

Here are possible artists and albums to pick from:

Alice In Chains
Audioslave
Black Sabbath (first 5 albums or 13)
Cake (first 2 albums)
Chevelle
Chris Cornell (Euphoria Morning)
Clutch (Clutch; Pure Rock Fury; Earth Rocker)
Filter
Foo Fighters (debut; The Color And The Shape; Wasting Light)
Franz Ferdinand
Godsmack
Green Day
Heart
Incubus
Jane's Addiction
Joe Satriani (Flying In A Blue Dream; The Extremist)
Les Claypool's Frog Brigade (Purple Onion)
Linkin Park (first 2 albums)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (first 4 albums)
Megadeth
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails (anything but With Teeth)
Pearl Jam (first 6 albums or Lightning Bolt)
Primus
Queens Of The Stone Age (anything but Era Vulgaris)
Rob Zombie
Rush (self-titled; 2112; Moving Pictures; Clockwork Angels)
Shinedown (first 2 albums)
Smashing Pumpkins
Stone Temple Pilots
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Soundgarden
Temple Of The Dog
The Black Crowes (first 4 albums)
The Cult
The Flaming Lips (The Soft Bulletin; Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots)
The Offspring (Ignition through Conspiracy Of One)
The Toadies
Tool

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Korn.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly test them with the types of music you normally listen to. You have a nice mix of options.

I'd also add a few pink floyd songs for some of their sound effects, but find a mix of songs that showcase the bass, harmonies, drums, and anything with higher tones and see what feels more true to your ears.

As I've said before, to me the fit and comfort of the headset is maybe the most important thing to look at. If they are all comfortable wearing them for extended times then you may find one responding to the range of sounds you like most better than the others and/or like the features better. Can't remember if any of the ones you picked up have ANC, but testing those around various real world background noise is huge as well since there can be a big difference in how they each respond.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly test them with the types of music you normally listen to. You have a nice mix of options.

I'd also add a few pink floyd songs for some of their sound effects, but find a mix of songs that showcase the bass, harmonies, drums, and anything with higher tones and see what feels more true to your ears.

As I've said before, to me the fit and comfort of the headset is maybe the most important thing to look at. If they are all comfortable wearing them for extended times then you may find one responding to the range of sounds you like most better than the others and/or like the features better. Can't remember if any of the ones you picked up have ANC, but testing those around various real world background noise is huge as well since there can be a big difference in how they each respond.

None of them have ANC.

Thanks for the tip on Pink Floyd. Is there something you can recommend off of The Wall? That's the only album I have for now, but do plan to get a lot more stuff at some point.

Yeah, I will see how comfortable they are. If one is less than the others, I should take note of that quickly.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I appreciate all of your follow-ups in this thread, WizardHawk. :nod:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts so far:

1. Tool - Stinkfist: The SoundMagic and Bowers sounded the best for this. I liked how the bass sounded with the SoundMagic.

Also listened to the beginning of 46 & 2, and the light cymbal during -5:00 remaining sounded the most fun with the Bowers.

2. Metallica - Trapped Under Ice: All 3 sounded good and similar.

3. Metallica - Holier Than Thou: All 3 sounded good, but the SoundMagic seemed to pick up on a background hiss throughout the song the most, and it slightly annoyed me.

4. Metallica - Until It Sleeps: The PSB and Bowers sounded the best.

5. Soundgarden - Limo Wreck: This is the first song that each headphone had a distinct experience.

The SoundMagic was fun, but perhaps a little too dark/bass?

The PSB was brighter.

The Bowers sounded the funnest.

Other thoughts:

* The SoundMagic are super comfortable. I wish every headphone was as comfortable as these, there's the most comfortable full size headphones I've worn.

* I feel that the PSB presses against the head the most. And I'm constantly afraid that I'm going to break the plastic part of the headphones.

At times, these also feel like they're not as full as the Bowers. Could be my preference.

* None of these headphones fold as easily as my existing Sony MDR-V6. I loved how those folded.

* So far, I don't think there's a song I haven't liked with the Bowers, but I have many more to try.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6. Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner. It wasn't until I listened to this with all 3 headphones that I realized how difficult the vocals at -4:26 remaining sounded, on all 3. I didn't like the bass solo as much during the -2:00 on the PSB.

7. A Perfect Circle - Orestes. I liked the sound on the Bowers and SoundMagic. It wasn't as special on the PSB.

8. A Perfect Circle - Brena. It wasn't as special on the PSB. The SoundMagic might have been the most fun with this.

9. Smashing Pumpkins - Adore. On the PSB, the beat sounded a little too dry. All 3 headphones brought more life into this song. This song definitely doesn't sound as good on the radio. I liked the sound the best on the SoundMagic and Bowers.

10. Pearl Jam - Black. This sounded great on the SoundMagic and Bowers. On the PSB, this started out fun but became less so after a few minutes.

11. Foo Fighters - Everlong. This sounded good on the SoundMagic and Bowers. On the PSB, the vocals sounded a little far away.

12. Godsmack - Whatever. This sounded great on all 3. I changed the cable on the PSB from the one with the iPhone volume control, to the plain cable. I thought the plain cable sounded better.

13. Korn - Freak On A Leash. Sounded great on all 3. The "something takes a part of me" right before the gibberish had good vocal detail on all 3.

14. Metallica - Of Wolf And Man. Sounded great on all 3.

15. Metallica - One. Sounded great on all 3.

16. Deftones - Digital Bath. Sounded great on all 3.

Summary so far:

SoundMagic HP 150: Very comfortable, sounds great. Only two tracks that I didn't like it as much (Metallica - Until It Sleeps; Soundgarden - Limo Wreck).

PSB M4U 1:
Don't like the plastic, makes me nervous. After changing the cable, sounds a lot better. A few songs make the vocals seem too distant.

Bowers and Wilkins P7: Every song so far sounds great, no trouble spots detected.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion no PC sound system will ever be as good as a component stereo system. Put some money into one of those and be happy. And don't use compressed music formats...

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion no PC sound system will ever be as good as a component stereo system. Put some money into one of those and be happy. And don't use compressed music formats...

What do you think about headphones, since that's what I'm comparing right now?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17. Soundgarden - The Day I Tried To Live: Not much difference, surprisingly. Perhaps the PSBs had a slight edge on these, but was happy with all 3.

Also, I listened to Soundgarden's "Limo Wreck" again with the Bowers and SoundMagic. I do think the Bowers high sounds linger just a bit more, such as at the 0:55 mark into the track.

18. A Perfect Circle - Judith: PSBs had the best drum attack at the beginning of the song. All sounded good.

19. Nightwish - The Poet and the Pendulum (YouTube): Don't think I had much of a preference between the headphones. this track was a lot to take in, especially for my first times hearing it.

20. Nightwish - Wishmaster (YouTube): Perhaps a slight preference to the PSBs on both tracks.

21. Heart - Mistral Wind: All sounded good, no preference.

22. Temple Of The Dog - Call Me A Dog: All sounded good, slight preference to PSBs for vocals.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to listen for higher frequencies now.

Think I need to try the Pink Floyd recommendation (something from The Wall, only album I have).

I don't feel like I did a good job with coming up with a firm conclusion or ranking of the headphones for higher frequencies, after today's listening session.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I think I said some time ago, comfort has to be a factor as no one wants to wear a headset that hurts after being on your head for an hour or more. Since the soundmagic appears to be substantially more comfortable for you there would have to be something dramatic for me to pass up that part of it. But that's me. I want durable, comfortable, and good range.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23. Nightwish - Wishmaster (flac) - All sounded good, slight preference to PSB.

24. Nightwish - FantasMic (flac) - Slight preference to PSB.

After that, have to listen very carefully but PRAT from -4:17 to -4:00, especially from -4:10 to -4:05 is a little better on Bowers than SoundMagic.

25. Nightwish - The Poet And The Pendulum (flac), 4:00 - 5:10 - Still couldn't hear the background vocal at 4:30.

I did hear breaths though at 4:27, 4:35. High notes at 4:51, 4:55, 5:03 to 5:05 sound best on PSB, then Bowers. Plain on SoundMagic.

26. Alice In Chains - Swing On This - Slight preference to PSB, but all great.

27. Cake - Frank Sinatra - Slight preference to PSB, but all great.

28. Pink Floyd - Waiting For The Worms - All were great but the last 0:06 is slightly better on Bowers than SoundMagic.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final summary:

SoundMagic: Out of the 25 tracks, only had a slight preference to Bowers on 5, and PSB on 9 (some overlapping with Bowers). I had to listen very carefully though.

Other than that, very enjoyable. Very comfortable, I'd give it a 10/10 on comfort.

Not as good at higher attacks or vocals as the other two, but have to listen carefully.

PSB: After changing the cable, really liked the sound. Best at high attacks and vocals.

Don't like the plastic headband though, and comfort is least preferable.

There were 7 tracks that I didn't like the PSB as much, but that was before changing the cable. I think if I re-listened to those, I'd like the PSB as much.

Bowers and Wilkins: Not as good at higher attacks or vocals PSB, but has slightly better range than SoundMagic. And is still comfortable, I'd give it a 9.

Didn't have a preference between headphones on 9 tracks.

Any one of these would be enjoyable.

Decision:

Going with the Bowers and Wilkins, but would have been happy with the sound quality of the SoundMagic.

If the PSB had changed their design, it would be close, might have picked them.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you. Not many people have the luxury of having 3 sets to play with until they make a decision. Good data for sure. Enjoy your new set.