• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Full sound not being played through headphones.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My headphones don't play the full sound when they're plugged in.

I tried it on two different MP3 players, and on a portable radio.

I can only hear the full sound if I plug them in to the last groove on the jack, but not all the way in.

They were working fine earlier today, in the morning and late afternoon.

If I plug them in all the way, I hear low-ends, but the high ends don't come through. So it's like I'm hearing instrumental, with just the music and drums, but little vocals (very low).

My old headphones started to do this too after some time. But I threw those away after I got my current decent ones.

Why does this keep happening to me? My current ones are only 4 years old.

Any suggestions?

I probably have to start looking for another headphones set, right?

This issue describes my problem:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/360572-28-full-sound-headphones-plugged

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like you have a wire somewhere that is fraying on the inside. Try plugging in, then wiggle the wires going into the jack, and then wires going into the headphones themselves. Should hear static or the noise increase if you find the short.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got off the phone with Sony. Repair isn't an option, the only option I have is an exchange for a refurbished unit for $43.85.

Let me think about it for a few days.

I'm going to try your advice now fordman84. When I saw your post, I was on the phone with Sony, so I just continued to hold. I didn't want to try something while I was on hold, and then not hear the customer service rep take my call.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like you have a wire somewhere that is fraying on the inside. Try plugging in, then wiggle the wires going into the jack, and then wires going into the headphones themselves. Should hear static or the noise increase if you find the short.

Sorry, I can't hear any static when I wiggle the wires either going into the jack, or into the headphones.

The best I can do is when I go from the headphones partially in to all the way in, the high frequency sounds become quieter. The overall volume doesn't change much though.

This has nothing to do with whether I'm wiggling wires though, this just happens all the time (since this issue started).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I can get the headphones working a little better if I wiggle the part of the wire going into the headphone. It doesn't last long, but at least I understand where the problem is occurring better.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've spent the past week looking at headphones.

I first strongly considered the Sennheiser HD 380, then the Sennheiser HD 598.

I liked the 598, but I don't think I can get an open ear back, most of my listening right now is during my commute, and I don't want sound to leak out and bother others. I know that's not the best environment to listen to music, but nothing I can do.

I'm having trouble finding a closed ear equivalent.

What is a pair that:

1) Has replaceable parts, especially the cable.

2) Closed ear design so it doesn't disturb others.

3) Low impedance, so it doesn't need an amp and can be powered by portable audio players, which is my most common way to listen to music with headphones. I still want it to come with a 1/4" adapter, so I can plug it into something which requires a bigger jack, like an amp or receiver.

I have a feeling the 598 sounds at least moderately better than the 380, so I don't want to consider the 380 anymore.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I can get the headphones working a little better if I wiggle the part of the wire going into the headphone. It doesn't last long, but at least I understand where the problem is occurring better.

That's typical. That connection is where most of the fraying is going to happen. I've never tried to install a new plug, I'm sure someone can do it though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PSB-Over-Ear-Audiophile-Headphones-Remote/dp/B00BX04Z48]Amazon.com: PSB M4U 1 Over-Ear Audiophile Headphones with Remote & Mic (Red): Electronics[/ame]

Not cheap, but has everything other than ANC. The M4U 2's have ANC, but are $100 more.

That series comes with removable cables, in fact you can put them in either side of the headphones depending on which side your device is on.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why is not repairable?

It's out of warranty. Sony only offers a refurbished one for $43.

I JUST checked online for some repair shops, they charge $50.

I figure I might as well instead get some new ones, with replaceable cables, so I don't have to buy a new headphone set next time.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazon.com: PSB M4U 1 Over-Ear Audiophile Headphones with Remote & Mic (Red): Electronics

Not cheap, but has everything other than ANC. The M4U 2's have ANC, but are $100 more.

That series comes with removable cables, in fact you can put them in either side of the headphones depending on which side your device is on.

I'm strongly considering this, spent an hour reading about them yesterday.

My next two choices are the SoundMagic HP 150, and the Onkyo ES-FC300. (Not sure if I should get the Onkyo ES-HS300 instead, which allegedly has better cables, but I don't know how much they will really matter, especially since I'm not listening to FLACs.)

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's out of warranty. Sony only offers a refurbished one for $43.

I JUST checked online for some repair shops, they charge $50.

I figure I might as well instead get some new ones, with replaceable cables, so I don't have to buy a new headphone set next time.

I would try taking them apart and seeing if there is an easily visible problem with them before just chunking them in the garbage. What's the worst that could happen? :noidea:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would try taking them apart and seeing if there is an easily visible problem with them before just chunking them in the garbage. What's the worst that could happen? :noidea:

I'm still using them until I get something else, even if I don't fully trust the sound anymore. I don't want to be days or weeks without working headphones.

How would you suggest I strip the wire going into the headphone jack? It's attached. And I don't have a wire stripper.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My search has now taken me to PSB M4U 1 vs. the Bowers and Wilkins P7.

I've read that the P7 has better "instrument separation", and is more dynamic.

It has better sensitivity (111 db vs. 102 for the PSB), so it will need less to be louder.

It requires even less to drive it, 22 ohm impedance vs. 32 for the PSB.

Both use 40 mm drivers.

The sound also might depend on what type of music, but I listen to all kinds of hard rock and heavy metal mostly. And throw in Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Franz Ferdinand or Heart, and some punk (Green Day, The Offspring). I only have a little classic rock but will probably get more eventually.

I'm sure some things I listen to are more layered, while others will have more instruments.

PSB gives you more value with an extra set of ear pads, and more convenience with the headphone jack going on either L or R earpiece. Some like the case for the M4U better.

The PSB doesn't have proprietary cables, while the P7 has proprietary ones, and is less convenient to get to because you have to take the ear cup off.

Focusing just on the sound, what do you think I should get?

And I hope whatever I get both sounds better than the MDR-V6, since I'm spending more. And I hope they don't need lossless audio for them to sound great, but will enhance the sound of high quality mp3s and AAC. I hope they will make my existing library, which contain little lossless audio, sound even better than the MDR-V6.

I will occasionally listen to music with the headphones on CDs, but that is not my most common method, due to time.

So, will I really notice a difference in sound with one vs. the other, or for the library I have, will they both be very similar?

Maybe I'll get an amp or something further down the line, who knows, but for now, what should I do with the setup I have?

I don't know if I have a preference for neutral or colored sound. I'm sure I'll like either as long as they sound better than my previous pair. And I was happy that the MDR-V6 sounded better than basic headphones, so I liked those too.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly at that level I'm not sure you would notice a huge difference in sound quality especially given the types of music you are listening to. Both the degradation from the codecs used and the actual type of music. Now I'm all on board with the music you listed. Total metal head myself. Just as long as you have a reasonable range it is far less of a jump for rock than symphonic music for example.

At that level it's as much about comfort, durability, and the extras.

There are a few places in Seattle where you can go test out higher end headphones and I'd for sure do that if that was an option. Again as much to make sure it is comfortable on your head as to actually reflect on the sound quality.

You have already done your homework on the features and presumably the satisfaction of other owners. Not much more to do than to either find a place that might have them locally or just go for it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly at that level I'm not sure you would notice a huge difference in sound quality especially given the types of music you are listening to. Both the degradation from the codecs used and the actual type of music. Now I'm all on board with the music you listed. Total metal head myself. Just as long as you have a reasonable range it is far less of a jump for rock than symphonic music for example.

At that level it's as much about comfort, durability, and the extras.

There are a few places in Seattle where you can go test out higher end headphones and I'd for sure do that if that was an option. Again as much to make sure it is comfortable on your head as to actually reflect on the sound quality.

You have already done your homework on the features and presumably the satisfaction of other owners. Not much more to do than to either find a place that might have them locally or just go for it.

I think I just have to go for it.

I don't trust music at stores, because

A) It's usually samples, not a full song

B) It's probably not going to be a song I'm very familiar with. How can I tell if I like one headphone more than another, unless I know a song very well?

C) Their setup might not mimic my setup, and the way I listen to music, and the formats I use.

Hmm, thanks for mentioning that rock music has less of a jump than symphonic music.

Yeah, unfortunately, I want to use both my iPod and Fuze+, but they can't share the same lossless format. Apple's lossless format is an Apple Lossless, while Fuze uses FLAC.

In an attempt to keep one library, I use high quality AAC and mp3 instead.

I don't want to ditch either player either. I want to keep the iPod, for example, because it has an engraved message to me.

And for the Fuze+, it's nice having another player in case I don't have time to charge my iPod every 3-4 days.

If I ever switch to one player, then I'll start using lossless for sure, but the time is not now.

Or if 100 GB online storage ever becomes a cheap option, then I can keep 2 lossless music libraries. For now, it just seems easier to manage one though.

I'm sure if my listening habits ever change and I can find lots of time to sit at home and listen to lossless files or CDs, maybe even with an amp, I'll really like these new headphones.

You do think though that I'll hear some improvement overall (maybe not on every track) over my previous headphones, the Sony MDR-V6, right? I only ask because that one was $100 retail (got it for $68), and whatever new one I get will be $200-$300 more, so I just want to make sure I'll be able to hear an upgrade, in general, especially for well recorded tracks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without being able to compare them myself it's impossible to say what improvements you might see. At those levels it's often subtle and open to interpretation. It should be better, but how much so I can't answer.

As I said though, the reason to go see the units and test them in person is more about getting to feel the comfort on your head than actually listening to it. If you are paying that much it should fit comfortably. You can also see how much ambient noise is blocked given it is a closed unit, but doesn't have ANC.

You are paying more for it, but your current ones had cable issues. Part of what you are paying for is the increase in durability and the ability to change out cables as well as overall sound quality. Is it better to stay with a headset you thought was fine that is $100 and just buy a new one when they wear out, or go for a higher model and the extra durability and options to deal with issues.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, another update.

I used the "find a dealer" on PSB's website, to see if some dealers carried the headphones. However, when I called those actual stores, one of them said they stopped carrying home audio, it wasn't generating enough revenue.

If I were to travel to demo the B&W P7, but not be able to demo the others, I don't think it would be fair.

I also contacted Amazon.com's customer support, and they confirmed their return policy. I can return opened headphones within 30 days, I just pay return shipping.

So, I decided to purchase all 3 of B&W P7; SoundMagic HP 150; and PSB M4U 1 from Amazon. I'll keep whatever I like the best. And this way, I can compare them in exactly the same conditions I'd use my headphones, with the same music.

I could save at least $20 on the P7 if I bought it elsewhere, but oh well, I think I have to do the comparison.

And I'll lose some money (maybe $7 per returned headphone) on return shipping.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look forward to your comparison and results. Good luck with it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look forward to your comparison and results. Good luck with it.

Thanks.

So you have the PSB M4U 1, right?

What other ones were you considering?