• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Review - GRADES

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our franchise qb might not even be on our roster...

i've said this before, unless smith improves, he's a placeholder until we get that franchise qb. if it's kap, great but i wouldn't count on it.

I'll one up you. Our franchise QB probablyisn't on our roster. But you're saying we shouldn't look to replace Alex because the grass isn't always greener. I'm asking you when would be a good time to look to replace Alex? Is it when a Drew Brees is available in FA? Or is it when we're picking in the top 5 again?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this is true but it's been overplayed, a bit. Regardless of who we had at QB, we needed to address the receiving corp. Regardless of who's at QB, with Harbaugh's offense and WCO, I feel we needed to have some more downfield threats. Alex never has had multiple, reliable downfield recievers so his game isn't defined fully. His skill set is a little more defined, but not fully set. Kaep's arm is stronger, but it's not like all our passes are that far. (Kaep's advantage in mobility is not directly reflected in us getting downfield threats besides simple diversion. An effect yes, but not exclusive.) Alex's arm is strong enough for most plays and I feel that if the rest of his play is to a certain level, we could make it without any of the few distance passes he doesn't regularly make.

Having said that, I believe people are also saying he can't do things that he hasn't been asked to do or hasn't had the personel. That doesn't excuse the passes he has screwed up, but as far as what his game is, I feel it's been exaggerated. There, of course, are touch passes, tight windows etc. that Alex has not been consistent in producing, but we don't know Kaep's abilities in the NFL there, so these additions don't speak more to him than to Alex per se.

Kaep could very well be better than Smith and it appears that the FO wants him as QB. But these moves I think were made for football reasons of this season as well as if not more than the future. (Moss for one year, Manningham only two years. It's conceivable that Alex buys another year for himself.)

We absolutely needed more downfield threats. That said, I have very little faith in Alex to accurately throw the deep ball down the sidelines. He's just struggled so much with that pass historically, and this year was no different. If Moss is even close to what he used to be, it will be interesting to see how this develops.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope people don't think last year was the very best Alex Smith can do...

I guess it is easy to forget that they only had about 8 weeks to install the offense before the season started because they won 13 games. That short time frame seems to have led to an incredibly conservative approach, although I do keep hearing people say that it was actually "Smith's limitations".

Not to say he doesn't have limitations, but c'mon... 8 weeks tends to put a larger constraint on the offense than whatever Smith can't do. That was Vernon saying that he didn't know the full playbook until almost the end of the season. Maybe I'm crazy... but Smith's limitations can't possibly have something to do with players not knowing the full playbook until the end of the season.

As to CK, hey... the grass is always greener. Smith is pretty much a known commodity. For the most part, we know he lacks confidence and can stink up the joint pretty bad when he won't pull the trigger and take a chance. While there is hope a better WR corps will make Smith better, there is no guarantee. So why not shift that same hope towards CK?

All of us want the same thing though, for the QB to succeed. I'm pretty sure we don't care if it is Smith, CK, Tolzien or Johnson... just want one of them to have a legitimate statistical argument for the Pro Bowl. Since in the NFC, going up against Rodgers, Manning, Cutler, Stafford, Newton, etc... means that they had a pretty awesome year.

I can get on board with that, easily. Right now, it looks like Smith. If/when CK's time comes, it'll be CK. I have no problem switching allegences when the day comes. If someone thinks that's playing both cards or wanting my cake and eating it too, too bad. There are people out there that have asked me who I support and thought I was being fake to say I didn't care. The cake is the Niners and I want the best for them. For me, that means never shutting down one option for another until it's apparent to the football guys that it's time. If it never comes, it means Alex did better than we thought. Win-Win.

I tend to defend the underdog, so you will see me stick up for Smith, even if Kaep takes over - but don't get that confused with me not rooting for whoever's under center.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The addition of downfield threats certainly plays to Kaepernick's strengths more than Alex's. We'll see what happens. Should be an interesting camp/season.

Colin's arm strength is well documented, but so is his lack of accuracy. Just because you can throw a ball a long distance doesn't mean you can do so accurately. Therefore, to claim the additions of downfield threats certainly play more to Kaepernicks strengths than Smith's is, well, a false claim.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin's arm strength is well documented, but so is his lack of accuracy. Just because you can throw a ball a long distance doesn't mean you can do so accurately. Therefore, to claim the additions of downfield threats certainly play more to Kaepernicks strengths than Smith's is, well, a false claim.

How are Kap's inaccuracies documented? He's thrown what, 3 passes in the NFL so far?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can get on board with that, easily. Right now, it looks like Smith. If/when CK's time comes, it'll be CK. I have no problem switching allegences when the day comes. If someone thinks that's playing both cards or wanting my cake and eating it too, too bad. There are people out there that have asked me who I support and thought I was being fake to say I didn't care. The cake is the Niners and I want the best for them. For me, that means never shutting down one option for another until it's apparent to the football guys that it's time. If it never comes, it means Alex did better than we thought. Win-Win.

I tend to defend the underdog, so you will see me stick up for Smith, even if Kaep takes over - but don't get that confused with me not rooting for whoever's under center.

ok, i'm good with this.

yeah, the goal is the 49ers and not who's the QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Because Alex is accurate on deep sideline passes?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bemular is just disagreeing with me to disagree with me. It's kind of his thing.

Wrong again. My thing is disagreeing with false claims - and since you are the queen of false claims it just seems like it is all about you, but it isn't all about you, just your false claims, trust me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We absolutely needed more downfield threats. That said, I have very little faith in Alex to accurately throw the deep ball down the sidelines. He's just struggled so much with that pass historically, and this year was no different. If Moss is even close to what he used to be, it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Because Alex is accurate on deep sideline passes?

Alex is inconsistent with his deep sideline passes and we know nothing really about CK's NFL ability to do so. I'll concede that he probably is better, but we don't know that he is. College is different than the NFL, strong arm is different than deep ball accuracy (obviously not mutually exclusive), and just because one player doesn't do it often doesn't mean that he can't with more coaching and confidence or that the other will.

BUT

People who support Alex more than I do say that's a reason not to give Kaep a try. I think that's ridiculous. Not knowing what a guy can do is not a good reason to not find out. I won't say that Kaep can't do this or that until I see that he has the supporting cast, the playbook, and the coaches call the play and he fails. Same with Alex. We've seen that he won't make it on his own, but he clearly has the coach, we've added a few targets, and he has no excuse not to have the full playbook at his disposal. Sink or swim, but put him in the deep end! None of this wading in the kids area and saying he can't go to the deep end. See what happens, you may be pleasantly surprised! (Kaep may still go deeper, swim faster, etc. but all those limitations we saw may become smaller for Alex, getting the best this year while developing Kaep to challenge.)

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again. My thing is disagreeing with false claims - and since you are the queen of false claims it just seems like it is all about you, but it isn't all about you, just your false claims, trust me.

Cool, but how exactly are Kap's inaccuracies "well documented"?

Here's a tidbit from cbssports about Kap:

Positives: Three-year starter is a tremendous athlete and a very mobile prospect who set too many college records to count. Strong arm, can laser the ball, also has a 90-plus mph fastball as a baseball pitcher. Reads defenses well and has nice touch. Outstanding ability to escape the pass rush and throw accurately on the move. Can be very accurate in streaks with good footwork from the pocket. Extremely fast and agile for size. Top intangibles: determined athlete, durable team leader, tough, hard worker.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, but how exactly are Kap's inaccuracies "well documented"?

Here's a tidbit from cbssports about Kap:

When we drafted Colin I read several draft reports which mentioned his accuracy issues: Below is an excerpt of just one of those reports.

"Although accuracy is a bit of a question mark for Kaepernick, it’s better than he gets credit for. His completion percentage went up every year during his four years as the starter the Nevada, so it’s clear that he is capable of improvement, especially with a good NFL coach guiding him along. He has a tendency to throw high on targets that are wide open, even when he has time to throw. The most accurate of his passes come when he is outside of the pocket. Although lots of his passes across the middle and deep are sometimes off the mark, he is a lot more accurate when he throws bullets, especially to the sideline."

Colin's accuracy issues are documented as I suggested, but those issues are a red herring to Crimson's false claim that: "The addition of downfield threats certainly plays to Kaepernick's strengths more than Alex's." Crimson is just making shit up as always. The available evidence not only doesn't support Crimson's BS it seems to contradict it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we drafted Colin I read several draft reports which mentioned his accuracy issues: Below is an excerpt of just one of those reports.

"Although accuracy is a bit of a question mark for Kaepernick, it’s better than he gets credit for. His completion percentage went up every year during his four years as the starter the Nevada, so it’s clear that he is capable of improvement, especially with a good NFL coach guiding him along. He has a tendency to throw high on targets that are wide open, even when he has time to throw. The most accurate of his passes come when he is outside of the pocket. Although lots of his passes across the middle and deep are sometimes off the mark, he is a lot more accurate when he throws bullets, especially to the sideline."

Colin's accuracy issues are documented as I suggested, but those issues are a red herring to Crimson's false claim that: "The addition of downfield threats certainly plays to Kaepernick's strengths more than Alex's." Crimson is just making shit up as always. The available evidence not only doesn't support Crimson's BS it seems to contradict it.

Where are those scourting reports from?

So in college SOME of his passes in the middle were off the mark? Somebody should tell RG3 and Luck that their inaccuracies are well documented as well.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are those scourting reports from?

So in college SOME of his passes in the middle were off the mark? Somebody should tell RG3 and Luck that their inaccuracies are well documented as well.

So now you are saying Colin is every bit as accurate as Luck & Griffin and thus the inaccuracies of the three QB's are comparable????...Dude - just stop.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now you are saying Colin is every bit as accurate as Luck & Griffin and thus the inaccuracies of the three QB's are comparable????...Dude - just stop.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying his inaccuracies are not "well documented", you idiot.

Try and keep up.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying his inaccuracies are not "well documented", you idiot.

Try and keep up.

LOL!!! The famous "try and keep up" comment from Clyde the Loser -

I thought you were supposed to the be the college guru around these parts - hell you are just as dumb with college as you are with the NFL!

Here are a few more comments about Colin's accuracy and there are plenty more out there - if you are smart enough to find them, thus from you, I'm sure they are safe.

He may have the arm to play in a vertical passing offense which requires a cannon arm for the deep passing game, but does he have the accuracy?

"...he [Kaepernick] can still be described as nothing more than a quarterback with average accuracy at best."

"Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy"

The point is there are plenty of articles that tell of Colin's accuracy while in motion and on the short stuff but overall he came out of college with a question mark above his ability to throw the accurate deep ball. If you knew anything about college football you would have known this. Clearly you’re a phony

So, here is an idea, idiot how you "try and keep up" for a change.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!!! The famous "try and keep up" comment from Clyde the Loser -

I thought you were supposed to the be the college guru around these parts - hell you are just as dumb with college as you are with the NFL!

Here are a few more comments about Colin's accuracy and there are plenty more out there - if you are smart enough to find them, thus from you, I'm sure they are safe.

He may have the arm to play in a vertical passing offense which requires a cannon arm for the deep passing game, but does he have the accuracy?

"...he [Kaepernick] can still be described as nothing more than a quarterback with average accuracy at best."

"Needs more work on accuracy, especially deep accuracy"

The point is there are plenty of articles that tell of Colin's accuracy while in motion and on the short stuff but overall he came out of college with a question mark above his ability to throw the accurate deep ball. If you knew anything about college football you would have known this. Clearly you’re a phony

So, here is an idea, idiot how you "try and keep up" for a change.

I think everybody, regardless of college accuracy, has questions on deep ball accuracy at NFL speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that makes sense. Now, those struggling in college are more questionable than those who didn't struggle in college, but no one is established against pro-bowl safeties. If he had trouble in college, that is a problem, but I think you should add the links to the reports. I mean, if you're already bothering to find the quotes. Plus, I would be a HUGE, HUGE hypocrite if I said that Kaep couldn't work on that but Alex can (which I believe).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

As are Alex's. I don't think "accuracy issues" quite captures how much Smith struggles throwing the deep ball along the sidelines.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As are Alex's. I don't think "accuracy issues" quite captures how much Smith struggles throwing the deep ball along the sidelines.

Couple things here...

First, I don't care about Smith's accuracy issues, your claim that "The addition of downfield threats certainly plays to Kaepernick's strengths more than Alex's." is 100% false.

Second, you seem to be an expert on Smith's "accuracy issues", now claiming that ""accuracy issues" doesn't quite capture how much Smith struggled throwing the deep ball along the sidelines."

So, what completion percent, (to simplify matters), would you say qualify's a QB as having "accuracy issues" on sideline routes and what are you saying, or perhaps guessing, Alex's completion percent was? And finally, what distances are you talking about?

I ask only because I seem to remember about as many completions as incompletions, but I will defer to your expertise on this.