• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2015

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Containment thread of all things Free Agency.

1) Draymond Green set to meet with Bob Myers and Company at 9:01 pm PST tonight. That's the official opening of free agency. Some reports have said Green will entertain meetings with other teams, but since he's restricted, he's not going anywhere. I would imagine he'll get a deal similar to what Klay received last off-season.

2) Some reports of Warriors interest in Marco Belinelli. Adding another shooter off the bench would be great. Will be interesting to see what happens to Holiday and Barbosa.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong in saying that Green signed for an amount lower that what he could have received, but one that would keep their core team together?

Oh, is your "City Sushi" name from South Park?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong in saying that Green signed for an amount lower that what he could have received, but one that would keep their core team together?

Oh, is your "City Sushi" name from South Park?

I think Green will have earned every penny of his max deal. He was playing on a second rounders contract and not only became integral to the Warriors success but easily the teams 3rd best player on a championship team. He's a guy that you can plug in the PF position for the next 5 years and not worry about it.

I don't think he'll necessarily take less, just not as much, if that makes sense. Klay got a "max" deal, but it wasn't a true max in that they capped his first year salary and gave him max raises on that. Green may do the same, but I wouldn't blame him if he just tries to cash out.

Also, yes it's from South Park. Good catch.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some other deals reported:

Anthony Davis - 5 Year extension for 145M (worth it, but WOW)
Al Farouq Aminu - 4 Years 30M w/ Blazers (holy hell)
DeMarre Carroll - 4 Years 60M w/ Raptors
Danny Green - 4 years 45M w/ Spurs
Khris Middleton - 5 years 70M w/ Bucks
Kawhi Leonard - 5 years 90M w/ Spurs

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Spears reporting talks have broken off between the Warriors and Draymond Green.

Green is a restricted free agent, and he'll for sure be a Warrior, next season. Only thing now is they have to wait it out and see what offers Green gets before the Warriors match. Will it be a 3 year deal? 4 year? Player options?

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love is staying in Cleveland for 5yrs/$110M. Both Butler and Dragic get 90M for 5yrs. I think Draymond will eventually get a same, 90M max.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, like someone said above, the Warriors are going to have to pay Curry a ton based on the extensions and signings above. Personally, I could see Curry signing for smaller numbers in order to keep certain guys on the team paid enough. Curry must be making tons of money in endorsements by now, and he will continue to for years to come. He is the face of the NBA now. More people can identify with Curry and how he plays the game than L. James. I don't look for Curry to make anywhere near the top players who don't get the endorsements like Curry gets.

If he were greedy and didn't care about winning, he could get the endorsements as well as one of the highest salaries in the league. I think he'll be the Tom Brady of the NBA, at least as it relates to sacrificing on salary and on winning championships.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, like someone said above, the Warriors are going to have to pay Curry a ton based on the extensions and signings above. Personally, I could see Curry signing for smaller numbers in order to keep certain guys on the team paid enough. Curry must be making tons of money in endorsements by now, and he will continue to for years to come. He is the face of the NBA now. More people can identify with Curry and how he plays the game than L. James. I don't look for Curry to make anywhere near the top players who don't get the endorsements like Curry gets.

If he were greedy and didn't care about winning, he could get the endorsements as well as one of the highest salaries in the league. I think he'll be the Tom Brady of the NBA, at least as it relates to sacrificing on salary and on winning championships.

No wonder Curry can make threes from so far out. He deflates the balls.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draymond Resigned! 5 years 85M. Not a max deal which will help for future cap space.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if the league MVP can make $12M a year, Green can "settle" for $17M.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think any player is ever selfish for maximizing their earning potential. Curry has played well below market value for the last 4 years and he should be entitled to at least 1 max contract for services rendered. If Steph demanded a max contract, the Warriors should just open the checkbook and sign on the line.

The earning potential of any NBA player is limited in the amount of years they are able to play and stay healthy. You can't simply just bank on endorsements as your source of income.

I think the reality of what Curry will want will depend on the success of the Warriors in the next few years. He deserves to be paid at the top and I believe he will.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Wade has accepted less than max deals for the Heat for years now. So has Tim Duncan. Also, Curry can indeed count on the endorsements to continue to roll in for the rest of his career. He's the NBA's darling. He's not tattooed up, he's an devout Christian and the NBA is safe to put him as their top top player and "the face of the NBA." I don't see Curry ever getting a max contract because of his unselfish nature and because he will ALWAYS endorsements which will be at least half of what his salary is. He can take .75 of his max contract and still be doing great from a financial standpoint. More importantly, he can "show the way" for others on the team about how to be unselfish when negotiating your contract. You have noticed that Green didn't max his contract out, right? The team is buying into the idea of unselfishness, which will guarantee that they will be in the running for championships year after year.

None of what I'm saying is going to be proven right or wrong in the next 1-2 years. It will take years from now to see whether or not my hunch is correct. Also, I'm not saying that anyone who takes the max deal is selfish. Rather, I'm saying that someone who will take less than the max deal in order to keep the nucleus of the team together is UNSELFISH.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Wade has accepted less than max deals for the Heat for years now. So has Tim Duncan. Also, Curry can indeed count on the endorsements to continue to roll in for the rest of his career. He's the NBA's darling. He's not tattooed up, he's an devout Christian and the NBA is safe to put him as their top top player and "the face of the NBA." I don't see Curry ever getting a max contract because of his unselfish nature and because he will ALWAYS endorsements which will be at least half of what his salary is. He can take .75 of his max contract and still be doing great from a financial standpoint. More importantly, he can "show the way" for others on the team about how to be unselfish when negotiating your contract. You have noticed that Green didn't max his contract out, right? The team is buying into the idea of unselfishness, which will guarantee that they will be in the running for championships year after year.

None of what I'm saying is going to be proven right or wrong in the next 1-2 years. It will take years from now to see whether or not my hunch is correct. Also, I'm not saying that anyone who takes the max deal is selfish. Rather, I'm saying that someone who will take less than the max deal in order to keep the nucleus of the team together is UNSELFISH.

Wade and Duncan have taken less, however they were paid on huge contracts prior. It's not like from the outset they just took lesser contracts.

Wade's first contract extension, he signed at a Max rate for 60M over 3 years. He took less years, because he wanted flexibility to sign a new contract earlier for more money when the CBA renewed.

Duncan signed a 7 year 122M max contract deal with the Spurs in 2003.

Curry has played well below his value because the contract he signed was when he was coming off injury. Every superstar is entitled to at least ONE big contract. Curry has yet to get his, unlike Duncan and Wade.

It's entirely possible he takes less. All I'm saying is if he wants the max, he gets it without any hesitation.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's entirely possible he takes less. All I'm saying is if he wants the max, he gets it without any hesitation."

I agree. I just think that the Warriors have something good going and that they could be a dynasty as long as their core group stays together. I think they'll choose to ride that line of getting good salaries but that they'll "do the right thing" when it comes to them being able to keep a player (or get a player) in order to stay on top.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damian Lillard - 5 year contract extension 125M.
Dwyane Wade - 1 year 20M.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My God, that's $25 million a year for Lillard. No wonder so many former players get into coaching these days. They see the money that these guys are making today and think "OMG". I think that the highest salary that Larry Bird ever made was around $2 million a year. I may not be remembering right, but boy they sure have done better than other "industries" across the country.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David West signs with the Spurs for the vet minimum. Amazing. He opted out of a 12M deal.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barbosa re-signed with the Warriors. 1 year 2.5M deal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to hear that Barbosa signed. I didn't want to lose him.