• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FOX & B1G near a deal on HALF of B1G Tier 1 TV rights

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying their coverage/promotion is generally awful. If Fox/FS1 was the only media outlet for the B1G and Nebraska had just won the football championship, wouldn't you be disappointed if FS1 was showing a UFC replay? I'm not a Nova fan, but you would think FS1 would want to capitalize on one of their teams winning a title.
To what end, though? They don't have a huge fanbase. I get your point entirely. I just think that promoting the Big East isn't high on their priority list, because the number of people interested in it isn't that great. Enrollment for the entire Big East is about 113k. You can nearly get there with just OSU and Michigan.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To what end, though? They don't have a huge fanbase. I get your point entirely. I just think that promoting the Big East isn't high on their priority list, because the number of people interested in it isn't that great. Enrollment for the entire Big East is about 113k. You can nearly get there with just OSU and Michigan.

I just think they missed the boat in general. After the title game, I turned to FS1 to see if they had any post game coverage. Given that the network carried 80% of their games, I wanted to hear the opinion of the people who had been covering them all year. Would it have gotten that many viewers? Probably not, but none of their studio/original programming gets any viewers anyway. I then had to turn to ESPN for post game coverage.

As far as not promoting the Big East, I'm not sure why they aren't. It's their third most important entity behind Pac 12 and Big 12 football.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think they missed the boat in general. After the title game, I turned to FS1 to see if they had any post game coverage. Given that the network carried 80% of their games, I wanted to hear the opinion of the people who had been covering them all year. Would it have gotten that many viewers? Probably not, but none of their studio/original programming gets any viewers anyway. I then had to turn to ESPN for post game coverage.

As far as not promoting the Big East, I'm not sure why they aren't. It's their third most important entity behind Pac 12 and Big 12 football.
That right there is the problem, and why they were willing to pay so much for the B1G. It's just not popular content. I don't think you can just convince people outside of the fanbases to care about the Big East. Like I said, I completely get where you are coming from. I just don't think how much they promote the B1G will be a major concern, though.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That right there is the problem, and why they were willing to pay so much for the B1G. It's just not popular content. I don't think you can just convince people outside of the fanbases to care about the Big East. Like I said, I completely get where you are coming from. I just don't think how much they promote the B1G will be a major concern, though.

I think it can be, because the product is very good. When they have a game that warrants people to watch they just do very little to either hype up that particular game, or do anything to break it down afterwards. ESPN does a great job at this even for schools with a smaller alumni base/student body. I remember a couple years ago game day was at the Gonzaga/Butler game. Maybe FS1 just doesn't have the type of resources to do it, I don't know.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOX's promotion is insane!

Having concerns about limited FOX promotion won't be a problem regarding the B1G... in fact, quite the opposite should be the concern------ I worry a little bit that the FOX promotion of the B1G might become too much/too over the top.

Remember FOX's crazy nationwide Harbaugh bus tour promotion last season?

The Harbus
maxresdefault.jpg

635758489067944278-harbus1.JPG

FS-sports-Harbros-with-fan.jpe

Methinks Cleatus the FOX football robot is going to multiply like a rabbit!

With this new FOX-B1G contract, actors dressed in various FOX football Cleatus robots are gonna be everywhere... it could even become more annoying than the Oregon duck! I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cleatus for each B1G school:

3340.JPG

PatsFoxRobot3InchKeychain.jpg

Again.... too little promotion by FOX will NOT be a concern.... rather.... I believe too much crazy promotion might become the norm.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can buy a TEAM CLETUS thing? Holy Crap. I want.

Not to mention, the ring is a (beer/soda pop) can tab. I know they will "claim" it isn't to be politically correct.

oooo. I can buy a 10" Broncos one for my wife. 28 bucks. She needs it.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOX is the WORST for college football. Shit announcers and a boring cast almost everytime. Going to love hearing Joey Harrington talk about football... said nobody