• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FOX & B1G near a deal on HALF of B1G Tier 1 TV rights

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston wouldn't be a new market, and Temple's 15 mins are over. Boren can't see past tomorrow, guy has no vision. He's a msg board sports fan who happens to have some power. The big 12 should stand pat, wait for the next round of shake ups. As for the network, i've already said why that's a dying model anyway. Think forward Borens, not backwards.

lol no its not. Man this is either flying over you heard, or you just don't want to admit espn is in real trouble. Long story short, ESPN paid way too much for their content, including LHN, SEC network, and the massive deals every conference just inked. They would have to charge 30 a month with a netflix only model just to make a buck. Problem is nobody would pay that. HBO is different, they own their own content, they don't pay a conference or a league like the NBA to broadcast. ESPN is screwed, and most stick it out with cable. Which is fine with cable, since ESPN is keeping cable alive.

If the SEC can't get more than 5mil a year, how do you think the big 12 together can? The myth that these conference networks are huge money makers is over, more and more american's are cutting the cord. Frankly, UT is stuck with ESPN who can't leave the cable model, the rest of the big 12 teams can go the direct to consumer route and be prepared for the future. Ask the pac 12, they're struggling with their network.

Anybody asking for a network is just not in touch with today's reality. ESPN will not be launching any more networks, like i've posted before they're in real trouble with all this cord cutting. Ironically the rest of the big 12 is set up nicely for the future, once the direct to consumer television reality is in full swing. Texas and the SEC are kinda screwed since we're married to ESPN, who can't go direct to consumer because they've paid way too much for their content. Pac 12 network has been a disaster, but if they can wait it out and make their network like the WWE network and direct to consumer they'll be ok. If you don't think ESPN is in trouble, why haven't they launched an ACC network? They already own their tier 3 rights, all they have to do is launch it.

--------

Link to where I said the Big wouldn't get anything? I've said all over these boards that ESPN is cutting costs, and BAM they didn't match Fox. Fox is trying to build FS1, hence why I said maybe NBC or CBS will also bid high for their sports channels. Also, as stated in this thread the deal isn't very long so Fox might see the writing on the wall with cord cutting. They probably want to build an audience for FS1 so when the cord cutting happens, all you Big ten fans will buy their app.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, did you read the article on this thread?

Fox’ deal is a blow to ESPN, which had held most of the conference’s rights previously. Sources said that ESPN presented a non-competitive bid several weeks ago, as the company continues to look for areas to save costs

Thanks for pointing out that ESPN is indeed starting to cut costs, and that I was posting that all this offseason. You're my biggest fan, and I appreciate it.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand why Boren wants a network. Cable TV will be a thing of the past soon, and no chance espn or fox will throw a bunch of money at another conference network. OU needs to count their blessings they're getting 5mil a year from Fox, because a big 12 network would net around 1 mil a year ala pac 12 network.

Now that the networks have stopped throwing money around, the pac 12's best bet is to go the online route. I'm not a fan of a pac team, but I'm sure the ones here in Texas that are would love the option.

LOL, did you read the article on this thread?

Fox’ deal is a blow to ESPN, which had held most of the conference’s rights previously. Sources said that ESPN presented a non-competitive bid several weeks ago, as the company continues to look for areas to save costs

Thanks for pointing out that ESPN is indeed starting to cut costs, and that I was posting that all this offseason. You're my biggest fan, and I appreciate it.

Looks like Fox is throwing a bunch of money at the B1G.

Looks like the some Networks are still throwing money around. Rumored that NBC is throwing $250 million for the other half.

I was wondering how you would spin this. Now I know.

You have been espousing how the cable model is dead and no one is ever going to have a big payday for over one month on this forum. You even talk about it in the posts I quoted how you have previously mentioned it.

BTW, I read the article and posted about it long before you did.

Posted yesterday at 6:35 PM and 7:23 PM
AD revenue numbers

AD revenue numbers

Which was three hours before the OP made his thread.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox sports 1 is building into a legit competition to ESPN

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Fox is throwing a bunch of money at the B1G.

Looks like the some Networks are still throwing money around. Rumored that NBC is throwing $250 million for the other half.

I was wondering how you would spin this. Now I know.

You have been espousing how the cable model is dead and no one is ever going to have a big payday for over one month on this forum. You even talk about it in the posts I quoted how you have previously mentioned it.

BTW, I read the article and posted about it long before you did.

Posted yesterday at 6:35 PM and 7:23 PM
AD revenue numbers

AD revenue numbers

Which was three hours before the OP made his thread.

Hey, Fox and NBC didn't learn from ESPN and are now spending big. Good for them, and good for college football. Notice this new Big ten contract isn't for that long, so maybe they see the future. It's hilarious that you point out that I new ESPN would be cutting costs, and thinking "you got me".

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Fox and NBC didn't learn from ESPN and are now spending big. Good for them, and good for college football. Notice this new Big ten contract isn't for that long, so maybe they see the future. It's hilarious that you point out that I new ESPN would be cutting costs, and thinking "you got me".

No, I claimed you were wrong about using the cable model dying to conclude that networks would not be throwing money around.

Subject: Cable TV dying Model
Subject: Networks won't be throwing big money around

Your interpretation: I am smart because I claimed ESPN was stupid.

Texas ego right there.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I claimed you were wrong about using the cable model dying to conclude that networks would not be throwing money around.

Subject: Cable TV dying Model
Subject: Networks won't be throwing big money around

Your interpretation: I am smart because I claimed ESPN was stupid.

Texas ego right there.

read my quotes that you searched through and bolded like a fkn stalker. Good lord I know husker fans are obsessed with all things Texas, but you clearly found my quotes about ESPN scaling back their spending, and then you found some random quotes about conference network deals. Just take this loss and move on, you're making me blush.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read my quotes that you searched through and bolded like a fkn stalker. Good lord I know husker fans are obsessed with all things Texas, but you clearly found my quotes about ESPN scaling back their spending, and then you found some random quotes about conference network deals. Just take this loss and move on, you're making me blush.

There you go again, those first quotes from you you claim to be brilliant, but the other quotes from you you claim to be misconstrued.

What Are the Symptoms of Dissociative Identity Disorder?
Dissociative identity disorder is characterized by the presence of two or more distinct or split identities or personality states that continually have power over the person's behavior. With dissociative identity disorder, there's also an inability to recall key personal information that is too far-reaching to be explained as mere forgetfulness. With dissociative identity disorder, there are also highly distinct memory variations, which fluctuate with the person's split personality.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a good deal for FOX. ESPN pays 1.9 billion (yes with a B) a year just for Monday Night football so from a programming and ratings perspective it will be a home run (I am assuming they get first pick of games).

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go again, those first quotes from you you claim to be brilliant, but the other quotes from you you claim to be misconstrued.

What Are the Symptoms of Dissociative Identity Disorder?
Dissociative identity disorder is characterized by the presence of two or more distinct or split identities or personality states that continually have power over the person's behavior. With dissociative identity disorder, there's also an inability to recall key personal information that is too far-reaching to be explained as mere forgetfulness. With dissociative identity disorder, there are also highly distinct memory variations, which fluctuate with the person's split personality.

I already pointed out my brilliance, although all I did was quote that link you so kindly brought back up. Then ESPN low balls the big ten, yay me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think so? Because I've thought they've sucked pretty bad so far. They don't even have college stuff, they just use the NFL crap over it.

The announcers haven't helped either. They are putting the money down, but overall I didn't think they were doing so hot.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must ask why cause if you take a look at the entire B1G its garbage product.

Indiana - crap
Maryland - crap
Rutgers - crap
Illinois - crap
Iowa - crap
Minnesota - crap
Northwestern - crap
Purdue - crap
Penn State - child r*pe ruined them for me so crap

Wisconsin - wanna be

Nebraska - fading fast
Michigan - trying to stay relevant

Michigan State - has some potential. green is a cool color
Ohio State - only reason they are popular is because their fans breed like rabbits and brainwash their offspring

It's a dying conference. I doubt seriously this deal gets done.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What we all said prior to its launch but no one has said since about 48 hours after launch.

Fox Sports 1 is complete and utter bullshit. I'm not surprised they're going after B1G football.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

got to watch every word you say, 'cause two years down the road this guy will pull it out and hammer you in the head with it.

Kind of reminds me of my ex-wife.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 basketball coaches are aligned against this move.
The football coaches haven't said anything yet.

I don't know why the Big 10 would take a deal with Fox Sports One?

They have enough clout to stick with far more prominent and cross promoted ESPN/CBS.
I think this would be dumb move as it lowers visibility and prestige, in exchange for a few dollars more.

I guess that is why it is only 6 years.....If it backfires, the damage can be repaired quickly.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we all said prior to its launch but no one has said since about 48 hours after launch.

Fox Sports 1 is complete and utter bullshit. I'm not surprised they're going after B1G football.
Big 10 ftball, the us open (golf), MLB playoffs, UFC. Started off shitty but their programming continues to improve

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 ftball, the us open (golf), MLB playoffs, UFC. Started off shitty but their programming continues to improve

I hope you're right. Out of the gate they were a major disappointment.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 basketball coaches are aligned against this move.
The football coaches haven't said anything yet.

I don't know why the Big 10 would take a deal with Fox Sports One?

They have enough clout to stick with far more prominent and cross promoted ESPN/CBS.
I think this would be dumb move as it lowers visibility and prestige, in exchange for a few dollars more.

I guess that is why it is only 6 years.....If it backfires, the damage can be repaired quickly.
Get the last of the big tv money now (FOX NFL deal runs out in 2022). Then go for even more money in'22 with Netflicks and twitter ect.. joining in on the bidding. Great move by the BIG, good move for FS1 as well to build on what they have started.
Ohio State just set a record for spring game attendance, they put the Buckeyes on FS1 for a game against...anyone and ratings will be good.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will certainly help, but they will still continue to be a distant 2nd option IMO. FS1 has awful original programming, and does a shitty job promoting the teams they currently have. Fox has Pac 12 and Big East for basketball, yet when one of the teams they have wins it all(Villanova), there was simply no coverage, nothing pregame or post game. Until FS1's version of Sportscenter takes off, it will be a second rate product.
I think it's tough to market both the Big East and Pac 12 for basketball. The Pac 12 just based upon the west coast time zone factor, and the Big East because in its current construction it is a bunch of small, private schools. I somewhat agree with you with regard to Nova getting little coverage, but really, who cares? That seems to be the general sentiment about Nova winning it anyways.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's tough to market both the Big East and Pac 12 for basketball. The Pac 12 just based upon the west coast time zone factor, and the Big East because in its current construction it is a bunch of small, private schools. I somewhat agree with you with regard to Nova getting little coverage, but really, who cares? That seems to be the general sentiment about Nova winning it anyways.

I'm just saying their coverage/promotion is generally awful. If Fox/FS1 was the only media outlet for the B1G and Nebraska had just won the football championship, wouldn't you be disappointed if FS1 was showing a UFC replay? I'm not a Nova fan, but you would think FS1 would want to capitalize on one of their teams winning a title.