• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Foods that taste better when prepared differently

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really weird with chicken how you dont have to cook the chicken to 165.

My secret to good chicken is:

thigh and leg meat, breast meat sucks

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grilled Steak.

Personally think any other method is a waste of a good steak. Not that they don't taste good, just that it tastes better grilled at a much higher heat.
What about a smoking hot cast iron pan?

Actually gets a better crust because more surface area is in contact with the heat.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I eat eggs for breakfast every day.

Good scrambled eggs is an art that takes practice. They must have the right texture and consistency or it's a no go. Cook them for just a few seconds too long and they will be too dry and a few seconds too short and too runny.

Also gotta work the spatula right so you have 1 big blob of egg that's all connected rather than little chunks of eggs that fall apart like ground beef.

And anyone who adds milk is doing it wrong.

Most people seem to end up with dry crumbled ground beef looking scrambled eggs. I'd throw that shit in the garbage.
French scrambled eggs use a fork (plastic if you don’t want to scratch a non-stick pan*) and constant shaking and stirring to break up of the curds that form. The idea is a very soft, consistently cooked, still moist final product without chunks. And lots and lots of butter.

What you definitely don’t want is one big blob, because that means inconsistent cooking - the outside of the blob is dry before the inside is cooked.

And you do add a bit of cold milk at the end, off the heat - like blanching vegetables and then dunking them in ice water, this cools the eggs down so they don’t overcook in their own heat.

French omelettes (real ones, they invented them, hence the name) are different than American ones too. Again constant stirring and shaking, to break up curds until it just starts to set. The ideal is to have every drop of egg in the pan cook at the same rate. There should definitely not be any brown on the outside of an omelette. Roll it up in thirds to make a cigar shape, with the seam side down. With an omelette you don’t use much butter in the pan, but then you give the outside a butter glaze when it’s done to make it shiny.

20160323-french-omelet-vicky-wasik--26-1500x1125.jpg

* of course, cooking eggs is the only acceptable use of a Teflon coated non-stick pan

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a smoking hot cast iron pan?

Actually gets a better crust because more surface area is in contact with the heat.

It's ok if you are in a pinch, but nothing beats a grilled steak to me.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunny side up for me, but I use a spoon and splash some of the oil or leftover bacon grease over the eggs just to cook the whites a bit. I want none of the yolk cooked...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it's either steak on the grill or no steak at all unless it's a no name steak, on the stovetop cooked in some butter is best for a no name. Then make some toast to soak up the butter you pour over the steak....

6649e0a8-0cca-4a91-b8cd-da25032ee773_1.52ee0c2e98b93910bd7f3a75724dd587.jpeg

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ok if you are in a pinch, but nothing beats a grilled steak to me.
I live in the city. I will always live in the city, but hopefully with a weekend house. Grilling is not an easy option.

And even with outdoor space, it takes time to get coals hot, way longer than it takes to get cast iron smoking hot. I get pretty good results quickly for a weeknight meal.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in the city. I will always live in the city, but hopefully with a weekend house. Grilling is not an easy option.

And even with outdoor space, it takes time to get coals hot, way longer than it takes to get cast iron smoking hot. I get pretty good results quickly for a weeknight meal.

I go cast iron more often than not.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brownies are better when you take them out of the oven 5 minutes early.
All cooking is better when you rely on experience and a good instant thermometer (like a Thermapen) instead of following some recipe’s timing.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
French scrambled eggs use a fork (plastic if you don’t want to scratch a non-stick pan*) and constant shaking and stirring to break up of the curds that form. The idea is a very soft, consistently cooked, still moist final product without chunks. And lots and lots of butter.

What you definitely don’t want is one big blob, because that means inconsistent cooking - the outside of the blob is dry before the inside is cooked.

And you do add a bit of cold milk at the end, off the heat - like blanching vegetables and then dunking them in ice water, this cools the eggs down so they don’t overcook in their own heat.

French omelettes (real ones, they invented them, hence the name) are different than American ones too. Again constant stirring and shaking, to break up curds until it just starts to set. The ideal is to have every drop of egg in the pan cook at the same rate. There should definitely not be any brown on the outside of an omelette. Roll it up in thirds to make a cigar shape, with the seam side down. With an omelette you don’t use much butter in the pan, but then you give the outside a butter glaze when it’s done to make it shiny.

20160323-french-omelet-vicky-wasik--26-1500x1125.jpg

* of course, cooking eggs is the only acceptable use of a Teflon coated non-stick pan

I still use cast iron.